Hatted Frau's Halloween

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice, Darryl! Sounds like a blast to teach - except for grading all that writing!

walrus

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
http://www.ecollegetimes.com/student-life/crashed-course-ams-326-1.2784597

As opposed to Coastie's Hollow Weenie.

Gotta be a typo. You surely mean hallowed weenie. :roll:

Or, as the Greymouth princesses gurgle, in an expectant rush, " Hello weenie ". :shock: 8)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Damn, Darryl! That is totally cool. I may have to send my son down to college your way. He can't get enough zombies!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"Hattenhauer just happens to have a bit of a different angle."

No kidding?

Dave :D

ladytexan

Reaction score
Darryl,

My students hate the fact that I give essay exams. They are University seniors, and doggone it, they need to be able to write. I don't grade them on grammar or spelling, but I do mark it all in red........ooooooh, a soooo appropriate color for your course. :) There's always lots of red.....it seems we have a generation ....let me see, what generation are we on now? X? Y? Z? Other? of students who have lived through spell- and grammar-check on Microsoft Word, that when called upon to think and know it, all seems to be lost.

What a kewl (misspelling intentional ;)) course, HF! I'm sure you have quite a few comments about "good literature" on the subject and what the author of the Twilight series produced. :shock:

Happy Halloween!

P.S. Since you're now famous, can I have your autograph? Thanks.

Reaction score
what an awesome course Darryl :)
If my college taught that, I would definitely take it.

As for Toni's comments, in my experience, they largely ring true. Most people can't spell their way out of a paper bag, much less use proper grammar. In college, I took 2 english courses, as well as a few history and poli-sci courses that required extensive writing (essay test questions and 3-10 page papers). In every class, the teachers always commented to me about how I was one of only 2 or 3 students in the class who could produce a proper paper. Doing peer reviews was akin to punishment. A 10 year old would have done a better job of constructing a fluid paper with proper spelling and grammar (using texting abbreviations, having half completed sentences mid paragraph, having runons, not having paragraphs, etc.) I'm not sure if it is due to laziness or stupidity/ unwillingness to learn. Many students completed the paper in a 30 minute period before class, and often slept through classes, if they showed up at all.

ladytexan

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
LT,

What subject do you teach?
This semester, Health, Safety, & Environmental (HSE) & Risk Assessment (Construction Science & Management majors).

Kevin, well-said! And sadly, so true!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I *do* worry about grammar, etc. at least somewhat. Grading writing is very tiresome. I've been a college professor for almost 30 years, and it seems to continue to get worse. Technology is definitely part of the cause - the "if Word says its OK, it must be OK" mentality. I always ask my students: "Did you actually read what you wrote? Does it make sense?". Tweets, emails, etc. don't help either - no grammar rules there...

I teach Business courses, and writing (and speaking) skills are very important for these students, we really spend a lot of time on it. Hopefully, its helping.

And don't get me going on the total loss of legible handwriting skills...

But anyway, back to the thread - as I said above, Darryl, sounds like a great course! The only problem is when you have a popular course like yours, it fills up every time, and then there's more papers to read and grade! Now *that's* scary!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Glad Iam English such a flextable luggage?
Bizniss is tribble suffering when transistors flunking text.
Should Apples be eaten not texted.
I know longer wondering.
But doctors thriving on ignorance are here.
Hope I die before needing.

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
:lol: Are you geting ready to write your first Craigslist ad Al?
So, From What I can read there, You want to trade one your Guitars for a John Deere riding lawnmower? Is that correct?

Cool Class HF. I love those writers here as well. Just recently scored The Edgar Allen Poe on CD set. Over 7 hours of wondereous narration. :D Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price reading most of it.
My 10 year old is enjoying it too.