Country-western: forced accents?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Is it just my imagination, or do increasing numbers of contemporary male country singers exaggerate their southern accents? I can't name names because to me these new singers aren't memorable.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It is absolutely NOT JUST YOUR IMAGINATION!! That's one thing I have a huge problem with..... country singers who TRY to sing "country". The "twang" and certain sounds they use that they exaggerate like crazy. That's one of the things I love about Suzi Bogguss. She just sings. Clear and sweet and on pitch..... not sneaking up on her notes. She doesn't try to sing "country". That's why Chet Atkins loved her too.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
davismanLV said:
It is absolutely NOT JUST YOUR IMAGINATION!! That's one thing I have a huge problem with..... country singers who TRY to sing "country". The "twang" and certain sounds they use that they exaggerate like crazy. That's one of the things I love about Suzi Bogguss. She just sings. Clear and sweet and on pitch..... not sneaking up on her notes. She doesn't try to sing "country". That's why Chet Atkins loved her too.
+1

Joe

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ya want me to try the country accent with a touch of French accent in the mix?.... :lol:
I have a feeling those Mid West folks would love it!!!! :shock:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm not a big country fan, but I've always liked Keith Urban (perhaps he's more "pop" anyway). But I always thought it was interesting that he speaks with an Australian accent, yet "twangs" when he sings!

walrus

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
walrus said:
I'm not a big country fan, but I've always liked Keith Urban (perhaps he's more "pop" anyway). But I always thought it was interesting that he speaks with an Australian accent, yet "twangs" when he sings!

walrus

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x NEW ZEALAND accent, thank you. :roll: :roll: :wink:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
From his bio:

"Urban was born in New Zealand and began his career in Australia at an early age"

I've always seen him described as "Australian" - my bad if that's not where he got his accent. I wouldn't know the difference anyway - my accent is from Massachusetts!

walrus

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
walrus said:
From his bio:

"Urban was born in New Zealand and began his career in Australia at an early age"

I've always seen him described as "Australian" - my bad if that's not where he got his accent. I wouldn't know the difference anyway - my accent is from Massachusetts!

walrus

All is good, W. Yes, I can detect that Massachusetts inflection. :)

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
walrus said:
From his bio:

walrus

All is good, W. Yes, I can detect that Massachusetts inflection. :)
Better an inflection than an infection! :shock:

Joe

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have a friend, he's a pretty good picker and singer, born and raised in the Bronx, yet when he sings he uses an exaggerated southern (?) accent. It's always turned me off a little, I think he'd be better without it, but it seems to work for him.
Brad

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like male country singers from the South used to sound like gentlemen but now sound like hicks.

And the music itself just sounds like beer bar rock, partly because there are so many more humbuckers and fewer teles.

Zelja

Reaction score

Zelja

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x NEW ZEALAND accent, thank you. :roll: :roll: :wink:
Keith was born In New Zealand & feel free to lay claim to him but came to Oz at a very young age & definitely has an Australian accent - easy to tell as he says all his vowels correctly... :wink: :)