Comparison - K & K Western Mini vs. the LR Baggs M1

1976GuildD55

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a 1976 Guild D55 that I bought new in that year. I have loved it and performed with it since. I have been playing a Taylor and Ovation Al DiMeola while gigging but I would like to return to playing my all time favorite guitar. The tone and feel are both unbelievable. Thus, I want to install a pickup system.

I am looking at the LR Baggs M1A and the K and K Western Mini. I realize they are different technically in the way they work and the emphasis in the way they amplify the sound of a vintage acoustic. I am comparing because I have had one individual recommend the first one, but I have heard You Tube samples of the K & K and it was amazingly authentic sounding.

What are your opinions? I have made the decision to drill the strap pin out and since I have no intention of ever selling this instrument (my grown kids are guitarists, too, so in time I will pass it along), I think it will not take away from the beauty and allow for more use. I miss playing this one live!

Thanks for your thoughts. Dan

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For me, it's the K&K mini. They sound great. I also like the fact that the K&K is a bridge-plate transducer system. So you can use whatever sort of saddle you like, and no need to modify the bridge or saddle in any way. (I've had trouble with UST pickups and bone saddles)

K&K also makes their pickups pre-wired to a "vintage jack", which eliminates the need to drill out the end-pin hole.

Here: http://www.kksound.com/vintagejack.html

Dave :D

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have a K&K mini in my D64, it sounds great! since I'm not very handy with tools, I had it put in by a luthier. I don't think you can go wrong with the K&K.

walrus

1976GuildD55

Reaction score
Guild Total
walrus and dapmdave: Thanks for your feedback. I wasn't aware that the K and K Western does not require the end pin drilling! That is a great advantage. I am glad that you are both happy with the K and K. Is the mini the right choice for a guild dread?

Dave, Went and heard your music -- very nice! 8)

Here is the guitar I am referring to:

100_0588.jpg

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Very pretty D-55! I understand your reluctance to install a full sized end-pin jack, but I don't think many people would consider a professionally installed jack to be a problem.

And thanks for checking out my stuff.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
Very pretty D-55! I understand your reluctance to install a full sized end-pin jack, but I don't think many people would consider a professionally installed jack to be a problem.

Is it the right choice? That's really up to you. But the K&K mini does have a large following on LTG. I have one in my F-44 and one in my D-40.

And thanks for checking out my stuff.

Double post? Not sure how that happened.

jcwu

Reaction score
I actually use both together (the M1, the non-active version) on both my DV and JV52s. When I A/B the two together, the K&K has a much fuller sound, but the M1 is nice for giving you some brightness that cuts through. If you want to get a close representation of how your guitar sounds, K&K is the better choice. If you want nice clean crisp sound that cuts through the mix, the M1 is better.

Having said that, to get volume and reduce feedback, I'll turn down the bass on the K&K channel and boost the bass on the M1 channel. But I rarely play in situations that would call for dealing with feedback.

6L6

Reaction score
I'm in the process of converting all of my amplified acoustics to the K&K Pure Mini, including my '06 D-55 (my primary gigging instrument).

BEAUTIFUL guitar you got there, Dan!

Bill

charliea

Reaction score
You can wire a Baggs M1 through a Vintage Jack as easily as any other pickup. It's worth a few extra bucks, to me at least. You also have to use a 1/8 jack, of course, but that's no biggie.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
A lot of people use a pre-amp with the K&K Mini.
It isn't something that you have top have but it helps dial in the sound and get the most out of the K&K.
I don't have one myself but I do read a lot of great reports about the K&K.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Taylor Martin Guild said:
A lot of people use a pre-amp with the K&K Mini.
It isn't something that you have top have but it helps dial in the sound and get the most out of the K&K.
I don't have one myself but I do read a lot of great reports about the K&K.

The little belt-clip pre-amp is pretty cool.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I have installed a bunch of K&k's over the years. Just did one last week in fact. I also have one installed on my Guild D-35 and my D-60. I am a big fan of these pickups. I'll also throw in a pitch for the version with the pre-amp and phase switch. The thumb wheel volume control is simple and unobtrusive. The phse switch does help to eliminate feedback. The passive mini works fine, but the active element of this sytem is a terrific addition for performing.

marcellis

Reaction score
I have a K&K on my D60. It's a good pick-up. I had an LR Baggs on a VN guitar I sold.
It sounded good too.

I had the end pin drilled out for the K&K. I want to be able to plug a normal, easy-to-find guitar cable into it.

alpep

Reaction score
I have sold a pile of the k and K pickups and they are stellar

6L6

Reaction score
I have a BAGGS Para DI and am wondering how that stands up to the K&K Pre Amp when used with the K&K Mini.

Anyone know???

Bill

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I have the Baggs M80 soundhole p/u in an old Martin. It's the next step in the M1a evolution ... this one can be either active or passive. Haven't had much time with it, but so far, loving the sound. My needs are less on the "transparent acoustic sound" end of the spectrum, more needing the ability to plug my acoustic into guitar amps, also into the PA if that's possible. Through my regular electric rig, the M80 does indeed well represent the sweet voice of this loud old Martin. (I'm using it in active mode, no preamp needed). The real fun is when you turn up that p/u volume knob. Instant Elmore James, no lie. Which works for me, as I'm most often playing slide in open D on this guitar.

Excellent sounding pickup.
MD