Fred Kelly fingerpicks

Zelja

Reaction score
In my very brief foray into fingerpicks, I have tried the metal ones. I like the tone & volume but find them pretty uncomfortable on the fingers (maybe I'm just a delicate flower).
Are these more comfortable & stay on the fingers better than the metal ones? I find with the latter they can shift position after a bit of playing.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
http://elderly.com/accessories/names/fred-kelly-freedom-finger-pick--PKFP.htm

Does anybody here use them? ...
I do, though I prefer the metal ProPik Fingertone picks on my fingers, as the Fred Kelly picks lend a distinct "plastic slap" to the overall sound (as do Alaska picks).

Regarding fit, I have gone through a few sets, getting them hot (in water) and remolding them to fit just right. Out of the bag, with no modifications, they always tend to tip away from my fingernails, making for less accurate playing.

I live on Fred Kelly Speed Pick thumb picks, though. They are my all-time favorite.

Christopher

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I live on Fred Kelly Speed Pick thumb picks, though. They are my all-time favorite.

Christopher[/quote]

How do you prepare them? :wink: Seriously, I'm going to have to get me some, Doyle gave one to a friend of mine when he played here a couple of years ago....Steffan

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm with Christopher - Fred Kelly Speedpicks for the thumb, Pro-Piks for the fingers, I use the brass ones with the double wrap for a better fit on the fingertips.

PK45SP-BRS-1_back_sm_.jpg

PK45SP-BRS-1_sm_.jpg

To prepare the thumbpick, use the tip of an x-acto blade to score cross-hatches into the inside flat part that contacts the meat of your thumb, this will keep it in place while you're playing. (An old trick from Earl Scruggs.)

wileypickett

Reaction score
Over the years, I suspect I've tried every fingerpick ever made. For me there are drawbacks to every single kind.

Eight years ago I began going to the nail salon, like the flamenco guys (and gals!) do, and getting my nails strengthened with acrylic -- NOT the kind you Superglue on (in my experience, those are awful!), rather these are brushed-on.

It costs me all of $13.00 every three weeks to get the first three fingers on my right hand done and takes about a half hour. They feel like your real nails, but are far, far stronger -- they wear like iron. I've done three-week tours, sometimes playing as many as three shows a day. They never wear out.

You think you'll break 'em all the time? On average I break one nail a year.

You think they'll pop off? Never -- so long as you get them filled-in every three weeks or so, depending on how quickly your nails grow.

Pluses: you can't lose them, there's no pain involved in using them, there's no "adjustment" period, as with fingerpicks, where you have to learn how to use and get comfortable with them. As with your real nails, you only need to occasionally file / shape them as your nails grow out.

Minuses: none.

I can only say that I wished I'd discovered this route 35 years ago. It's made a huge, huge difference in my playing.

The second best solution are the Fred Kelly fingerpicks pictured at the top of this thread. It didn't take me long to get used to them. They're comfortable, they stay on, they don't twist while you're playing, they don't pinch, they don't get tangled up in each other, and once you've got the right sizes picked out for your fingers, they don't require adjustment.

The third best for me (what I used before the FKs) were the metal (not plastic) Alaska-Piks. But, like all metal fingerpicks, they pinch, they require adjustment, and they take some getting used to.

Glenn//.

charliea

Reaction score
dreadnut said:
I'm with Christopher - Fred Kelly Speedpicks for the thumb, Pro-Piks for the fingers, I use the brass ones with the double wrap for a better fit on the fingertips.

PK45SP-BRS-1_back_sm_.jpg

PK45SP-BRS-1_sm_.jpg

To prepare the thumbpick, use the tip of an x-acto blade to score cross-hatches into the inside flat part that contacts the meat of your thumb, this will keep it in place while you're playing. (An old trick from Earl Scruggs.)

I'm with you guys. Speed Pick for the thumb, Pro-Piks (I use cobalt plated) for the fingers. I've tried quite a few combos, but for me this works best.

wileypickett

Reaction score
An easier, more effective (and safer!) solution to scoring the inside of the pick with an X-acto blade is to buy a sheet of sticky back sandpaper, cut out a small piece with scissors, peel and stick it to the inside the thumbpick. (An old Les Paul trick -- he applied pieces of sandpaper to his flatpicks.)

Unless you're super-prone to losing your thumbpicks, a single sheet of sandpaper will last you a a couple years. I use 220 grit. You can go lower depending on how aggressively you play or how much you perspire.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hadn't thought of sandpaper, Wiley, I'll have to try it!

I wonder why they don't make thumb picks with the "cat's tongue" etching inside?

"Cat's Tongue" or "Snarling Dog / Brain" picks are my choice for flatpicks on my acoustics, 1.0 - 1.2 thickness.

wileypickett

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INDASA-1-Red-Sticky-Back-6-DA-Sandpaper-400-Grit-Sand-Paper-EACH-/120852904206

These are 6" discs of 400 grit sandpaper -- 99 cents a piece, + $1.99 for shipping. You can buy as many discs as you want. (Other grits are available from the same seller.)

I use an oversized hole-punch to punch out 1/2" dots, but you can just cut 'em out with scissors in whatever shape you like.

Glenn//.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm guessing I'll be able to find some locally. I will be trying this real soon.

Ever since carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand, my middle finger has been slower and less responsive. Good in traffic situaltions but not for fingerpicking! :lol: But the fingerpick on that finger seems to come loose more often as well, so I'm hoping this will be the answer.