Once Upon a Time in San Marcos - A Guild Story

ladytexan

Reaction score
Just picked-up my D25-12 from luthier, Ross Jennings, just outside Austin in San Marcos. [IMHO, Ross is the best ever - I was introduced to him by another LTGer, Scratch (Ken) to whom I will be eternally grateful :)]. So, you know how you just sorta shoot the breeze when you're at your luthier. Whatcha been doin'? Any exciting guitars you're workin' on? Stuff like that...and, then, Ross said, "I'm doing a set-up on another Guild D25-12" and we walked over to the table to look at it. Gorgeous sunbust in excellent condition. Then, Ross mentioned, "Yep, the number one (as in number of guitars he sees) is Guild, the word must be getting out."

Now, that statement could mean quite a few different things. But by the way Ross said it, it means, to me, that there's lots of luv for Guilds; folks are realizing how great they are (for reasonable prices), buying them, and fixin' them up. And, well, coming from Ross, that's a stellar endorsement. :)

P.S. Ross doesn't do Guild neck resets anymore, so the Guild work he does are set-ups and minor repairs. As some of you may remember, my D25-12 was there for a binding reglue. He is quite busy, but it is always worth the wait because of the excellent work Ross does. He worked his magic on the D25-12, and it is perfect. :wink: 8)

P.P.S. After Ross notified me that the D25-12 was ready, it took me a few days before my schedule allowed me to go pick it up. Ross' response email was, That gives me some time to enjoy playing it (carefully of course)!! :D Yep, it's a great guitar. Ross is a great luthier.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Great news/story, Toni.
I think I might be GASsing for another Guild 12 string.

Joe

*I have my own "Once Upon a Time in San Marcos" story, but that's for another forum altogether. 8)

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
Sweet Toni. I wish I was closer to him as it seems that we are a little short on top notch luthiers around here. If anyone knows of a good one in the Delaware valley please let me know. :wink:

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Glad for you Toni! Long time, IIRC, she was there. Glad you both are finally reunited :D

And thanks for the story. You have some kind of magic to tell stories: Our own storyteller? Could be, could be...

A hug & All the best,
B.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ladytexan said:
Just picked-up my D25-12 from luthier, Ross Jennings, just outside Austin in San Marcos. [IMHO, Ross is the best ever - I was introduced to him by another LTGer, Scratch (Ken) to whom I will be eternally grateful :)]. So, you know how you just sorta shoot the breeze when you're at your luthier. Whatcha been doin'? Any exciting guitars you're workin' on? Stuff like that...and, then, Ross said, "I'm doing a set-up on another Guild D25-12" and we walked over to the table to look at it. Gorgeous sunbust in excellent condition. Then, Ross mentioned, "Yep, the number one (as in number of guitars he sees) is Guild, the word must be getting out."

Now, that statement could mean quite a few different things. But by the way Ross said it, it means, to me, that there's lots of luv for Guilds; folks are realizing how great they are (for reasonable prices), buying them, and fixin' them up. And, well, coming from Ross, that's a stellar endorsement. :)

P.S. Ross doesn't do Guild neck resets anymore, so the Guild work he does are set-ups and minor repairs. As some of you may remember, my D25-12 was there for a binding reglue. He is quite busy, but it is always worth the wait because of the excellent work Ross does. He worked his magic on the D25-12, and it is perfect. :wink: 8)

P.P.S. After Ross notified me that the D25-12 was ready, it took me a few days before my schedule allowed me to go pick it up. Ross' response email was, That gives me some time to enjoy playing it (carefully of course)!! :D Yep, it's a great guitar. Ross is a great luthier.

Great story Toni. Did he mention how his dad is doing? Need to get over to see him; it's been a while...

ladytexan

Reaction score
Scratch said:
Great story Toni. Did he mention how his dad is doing? Need to get over to see him; it's been a while...
No, Ken, but he did ask about you and Pam....which led to camping....which led to camping in Big Ben which he plans on doing this winter. :)

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Great story Toni. Next week I am going to take my D25 to Dick Dubois here in Austin. He was in Collings repair department for years, but now mainly does restoration work for many high end shops around town. He is the go-to guy for Jim at Guitar Resurrection. I will let you know how it goes. There is a top crack and some lower bout bellying with bridge lift.

ladytexan

Reaction score
Ridgemont said:
Great story Toni. Next week I am going to take my D25 to Dick Dubois here in Austin. He was in Collings repair department for years, but now mainly does restoration work for many high end shops around town. He is the go-to guy for Jim at Guitar Resurrection. I will let you know how it goes. There is a top crack and some lower bout bellying with bridge lift.
Jonathan, looking forward to hearing about the work Dick does for you. If Jim at GuitarRez likes him, that's quite a great recommendation. :)

P.S. Give my best to Mrs. Ridgemont. :) We all need to get together again. :wink:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
ladytexan said:
P.S. Give my best to Mrs. Ridgemont. :) We all need to get together again. :wink:
Yes I will. She is now 7.5 months pregnant and looking like she is ready to pop. :D