Random YouTube vid - Lennon's Starfire XII!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's a great teaser video, Zelja - I'd love to see the whole film too, assuming it still exists somewhere, I never there was such as movie.

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
In the 2003 Guild "50 Years" catalog, p. 29 is dedicated to The Remains, with a photo and story of Barry and his T100D. Photos of the book he wrote and a few album covers as well.

"I played my Guild on all the early Remains recordings. It was my first 'real' guitar".

That doesn't mean he did not play any other guitars though! If you do a google search, there are images of him playing the Epiphone, too.

walrus

satts

Reaction score
I wish I had researched Barry Tashian a bit more. I spent about an hour with him in Australia about three years ago. He and his wife Holly were playing a smallish show. We spoke about his time with Emmylou and the Hot band. What a good album that live album is!!

I hadn't realised he toured with the Beatles. Would have loved to talk to him about that.

He is a seriously nice fellow, a good singer and a handy guitar player.

Jahn

Reaction score
Indeed, that Chesterfield looks ready to poke a hole through the screen!

the-remains-why-do-i-cry-sundazed.jpg

0.jpg

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Had the CD...

Sadly, the friend I got it for passed away several years ago...and the CD and my CD player was "lost" at the nursing home...

I had written to Barry, asking that perhaps he write a short note to Don, and how much it would mean to him...he agreed to write as soon as he got back to Nashville, but Don passed before he made it back...

I can remember "Juicey Brucey Bradley" of WBZ back in the day announcing The Remains playing here and there...The Surf at Nantasket Beach...for example??? Maybe???

Zelja

Reaction score
Great to see a Guild was in their arsenal.

I love this band! Their little live set that did straight to 2 track one night after a gig (as a demo for Capitol Records if I recall) just kills. I was in a band that did 3 or 4 Remains tracks at one time. I also reckon Barry Tashian had one of the great rock'n'roll voices. A lot of good music has come out of Boston.

jmac

Reaction score
What I find REALLY interesting is the pic someone found of John Lennon in the studio (Abbey Road) during the white album sessions, and that Guild 12 string guild is sitting on the floor next to him. I don't think there is any 12 string guitar on The White Album. There's no record of them ever using it in the studio...but still, there it was. So intriguing

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
jmac, I assume you mean the photo frono posted in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29288&p=317181&hilit=lennon+starfire#p317181

Although I doubt that's in the studio (looks more like a room in a house or apartment), "intriguing" is a great word for it! I'd love to know where exactly that is photo taken. And as you said, did they ever use the Starfire to record? Given that we know they were unafraid and in fact reveled in trying anything in the studio, it's amazing they did not use the Starfire. But you are correct there is no record of it, so it just remains a mystery.

walrus

johnbiscuti

Reaction score
What I find REALLY interesting is the pic someone found of John Lennon in the studio (Abbey Road) during the white album sessions, and that Guild 12 string guild is sitting on the floor next to him. I don't think there is any 12 string guitar on The White Album. There's no record of them ever using it in the studio...but still, there it was. So intriguing

There is - the bridge of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" has an electric 12 doubling the bassline, note-for-note. The recently unearthed isolated tracks make it very obvious. I have been wondering if this is the Guild 12'er.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFKSX7GByeg

And the Clapton isolated guitar is great, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzDyycsXmN0

Here's a link with some cool ones. There are even more if you search youtube. But this little collection is a great starter - the guitar only on "Sun King" is beautiful, and Paul's vocal on "Helter Skelter" is insane.

Caution: this stuff may cause you to lose track of the time...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL844C6B6CB561BD9A

walrus

Very cool stuff! Interesting that they still had to share tracks. Like the acoustic intro in Clapton's track, and the added bits in the "Sun King" track.

jcwu

Reaction score

That's quite a trebly and overdrived bass track! I thought it was an electric guitar at first.

And the Clapton isolated guitar is great, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzDyycsXmN0

Here's a link with some cool ones. There are even more if you search youtube. But this little collection is a great starter - the guitar only on "Sun King" is beautiful, and Paul's vocal on "Helter Skelter" is insane.

Caution: this stuff may cause you to lose track of the time...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL844C6B6CB561BD9A

walrus

Thanks for these links!!! I've done a bit of multitracking myself back in the day, and I love hearing stuff like this.