Hunting season in Minnesota...

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
samriggle said:

I'm with ya Sam. I think the wolf is a magnificent animal. Unfortunately, their fear of humans has been become less and less over recent years and if any good comes of this hunt, hopefully they will become shy once again.

Thunderface

Reaction score
rampside said:
There was a limited number of the wolf licenses available and this guy was one of the lucky ones:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... lf%20hunt/
The story said this particular wolf was registered at Chalstrom's, a bait shop not too far from my cabin. Wonder how far "north of Duluth" he was hunting. I don't recall ever hearing wolves while at the cabin, but I sure see plenty of deer.

I actually thought the photo in the Duluth paper was more tasteful than the one we ran in our paper, which was of the wolf hanging alongside a doe and buck. Kind of made me sick to see it. I understand the concept of needing to manage the population, but I still think authorizing the hunt was wrong.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ok, just to set the record straight, in no way shape or form did I welcome the wolf hunt. Actually I'm pretty sick over it. The subject of the wolf always generates a great deal of controversy here in Minnie and I started this thread just out of curiosity just to see what kind of response there might be. I've always been fascinated by this beautiful creature and am always thrilled every time I see one (which isn't very often). So IMHO, it would be safe to say that, musicians in general would never favor the killing of this amazing work of nature.

:(

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
People love wolfs, until they come into town and eat their poodles.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
FNG said:

I want them to eat the deer and leave the poodles alone but we know that is never going to happen.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
killdeer43 said:
fronobulax wrote:
FNG wrote:

I want them to eat the deer and leave the poodles alone but we know that is never going to happen.

Maybe they enjoy French cuisine for a change.

Joe

From my personal experience, they enjoy Brittish fair on occaision also (English Setter/Brittany Spaniel mix) :(

Thunderface

Reaction score
It could perhaps be worse. We might, in the future, see some cross-breeding that's becoming so popular these days, and wind up with a Labralupus or a Lupudoodle.

How long before some NBA writer seizes on the wolf hunt angle when covering a game involving the Timberwolves?

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wolves are magnificent creatures, and a needed part of the ecosystem. Many people want to see wolves in the wild, but the problem is that reality always collides with fantasy. Wolves will travel for many miles for food, and sooner or later those who see wolves as some magnificent creature will face one snarling in their back yard ripping Fluffy to shreds. It's what they do.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh geeeeez.....a guy from my boss's hunting camp just showed up with one in the back of his truck. My what big teeth he has :? :shock:

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How can it be, that, god-fearing people ( as some of those "sportsmen" must surely be ) can go kill creatures that their god created and, surely would have us love and respect ?

I'm utterly sickened when "sportsmen" on nature programmes are quoted as "Wanting to shoot me a bear", or whatever the case me be.

Wankers !! :evil:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
rampside said:
samriggle said:
I think the wolf is a magnificent animal. Unfortunately, their fear of humans has been become less and less over recent years and if any good comes of this hunt, hopefully they will become shy once again.
I get it, but I gotta wonder whether licensing a hunt was the best solution. I think I'd rather see Fish and Game officers performing the task when it comes to wolves. At least I think they'd park their testosterone at the door, so to speak.
Out here the mountain lions are getting pretty bold, seems like about twice a year a local law enforcement agency has to put one down in a suburban neighborhood.
And one still has to get a specific permit to shoot nuisance feral pigs, even then must donate meat to local charity.
coastie99 said:
I'm utterly sickened when "sportsmen" on nature programmes are quoted as "Wanting to shoot me a bear", or whatever the case me be.
Wankers !! :evil:
I'm pretty sure you're making a distinction between sport hunting and subsistence hunting?
(Although I admit it can be one and the same when it comes to deer and fishing)
I've seen some pretty fascinating shows about folks who live off the land in Alaska, for example, and bears can destroy your entire winter's survival rations in a night. And then be glad they didn't come after whatever's in the shelter you're in besides... :shock:
Hate to say it, but even Sarah Palin eats the deer she shoots....
And in all fairness, it is the humans who're depleting the animals' habitat, as opposed to the other way 'round. :(

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
And in all fairness, it is the humans who're depleting the animals' habitat, as opposed to the other way 'round.

Yes, it seems the wolves have indeed outgrown their habitat here. The Feds and State have been paying trappers and hunters for some time now to eliminate nuisance wolves around livestock areas and such. By licensing a hunt with quotas for specific areas they can control the population (maybe) and they will actually will make some $$, make the so called trophy hunters happy and hopefully quite down the deer hunters at the same time. It's just test and hopefully they won't screw it up.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I've been an avid hunter all of my life, but get a bit confused when I see something like this. I guess my burning question is why reintroduce them if you're going to hunt them? Though I'm sure if I were someone like Bing for instance, a man who makes a portion of his livelihood raising livestock in areas in which the wolf was reintroduced, I'd feel very differently.

Here in Texas, I'm about to take up a new prey for sport, but one that devastates people's pastures and yards, carries disease and wreaks havoc on the local deer population in more ways than one. Feral hogs in Texas multiply faster than rabbits and it's time for me to get into some medium sized game hunting that will do people and animals some good. I'll wait until after deer season to get all of the deer hunters out of the woods, as here in Texas, you may hunt hogs year round. Regardless, the feral hog population here continues to explode. To make it even more sporting, I intend to set up only take shots in excess of 200 yards (a little shade tree sniping). TPW is begging people to kill them and I've got a friend, young man that I work with actually, that makes quite a supplemental income trapping and killing them in order to save people's property. Having said that, if I were to see a bobcat, or were to see a cougar in the woods, let alone a grey wolf (none in Texas they say) , he'd walk.........they eat on feral hogs, among other things.

West