Alice in Chains video on the Guild web site!

idealassets

Reaction score
Those guitars look to be a Guild D55 and F512, two of my favorite guitars. I like it when, more and more, nice sounding bands such as this perform on a Guild.

In my humble opinion if a guitarist likes a Guild F412 or F512, the Guild D55 and F50 are the most compatible 6 string guitar for switching back and forth. Unless I am wrong the fret radius and fretboards are similar with only a slight difference in the width.

In comparing to my Martin HD28, the fretboard feels flatter on the Martin HD28 than the Guild D55. The neck contour on the HD28 is seemingly made for a narrower hand than mine. My hands are not that big, but after getting accustomed to the F512, I don't like a huge difference when switching over to any 6 string guitar.

Craig

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's an interesting point about "switching" guitars while playing - something I've never done between songs, but only after some time as passed. I'm always impressed by artists who can just go from instrument to instrument with ease. Paul McCartney comes to mind - bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, piano - one after the other.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
learnintoplay62 said:
Wow they can make those guitars sing :D Was that a D55 he was playing ?
Only dread I can think of with G -shield and fretboard blocks.
What I'm wondering is if it's the same one used in their MTV Unplugged version of "Rooster" from so many years ago?
It's not a brand new affair with Guild, for them. :wink:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chazmo said:
Can't identify the acoustic bass.
I read that Mike Inez played an "Alvarez Fusion" acoustic electric bass at MTV Unplugged. He also used a Chorus pedal with it.
friends-dont-let-friends-get-friends-haircuts.jpg

Pictures of another such bass:
9551c5g_20.jpeg
1271el1_20.jpeg
7993mkd_20.jpeg
5775d7k_20.jpeg

Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chazmo said:
...the guitar looks like an F-50 or F-50R, possibly a JF-100 with the abalone rosette.... not sure.
A JF-100 would have had the special shaped cloud inlays at the fingerboard.
That one used for MTV Unplugged has the normal 3 piece inlays, dark sides (=rosewood), a abalone rosette ring in the middle between two thin rings, and the black pickguard, so seems to be a Guild JF-55 to me:
0.jpg

Ralf

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, JF-55 sounds right, Ralf.

Alvarez also sounds right. I sure knew it wasn't a Guild headstock. I wonder if, since then, he started using one of the Guilds.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
SFIV1967 said:
Chazmo said:
I wonder if, since then, he started using one of the Guilds.
Not according to this.
Ralf

Bass Player magazine makes it really hard to figure out when something was written. The wikipedia equipment list seems to be derived from this interview. Internal evidence suggests that the article was written in 2009 which predates the new Guild B54-CE, IIRC. So I might suggest that the original question remains unanswered :wink:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We'll have to ask about that, Jamie. I think the vid of MTV unplugged pre-dates the Guild acoustic basses as well.

In any case, I'm kind of happy it wasn't a Guild I saw. The one in the viddie has handwriting on it!! :( :(

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chazmo said:
We'll have to ask about that, Jamie. I think the vid of MTV unplugged pre-dates the Guild acoustic basses as well.
In any case, I'm kind of happy it wasn't a Guild I saw. The one in the viddie has handwriting on it!! :( :(
The MTV Unplugged concert was on April 10, 1996.
"Friends don't let friends get friends haircuts" was a reference/trash talk to long-time friend’s - Metallica; who in the mid 90’s gave up their Rock Star Metal Band hairdos for shorter time conforming hair. Lars Ulrich & Co were all present in the audience during that concert, that's why Mike Inez (who still had his long hair) wrote this on the bass for the show. The ”Friends Haircuts” is a direct reference to the sitcom Friends.
Ralf

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
Chazmo said:
The MTV Unplugged concert was on April 10, 1996.
"Friends don't let friends get friends haircuts" was a reference/trash talk to long-time friend’s - Metallica; who in the mid 90’s gave up their Rock Star Metal Band hairdos for shorter time conforming hair. Lars Ulrich & Co were all present in the audience during that concert, that's why Mike Inez (who still had his long hair) wrote this on the bass for the show. The ”Friends Haircuts” is a direct reference to the sitcom Friends.
Ralf
Ralf, where do you come up with this stuff?!?!! :D :D Awesome. Too funny!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You gotta love the people that complained when Metallica cut their hair! They can't be heavy metal without long hair? It's not really my favorite type of music, but you can't say those guys don't rock, no matter what their hair looks like!

walrus