Salute! Veterans Day

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm pretty geeked about this :D Tomorrow, we're having our annual Veterans Day Benefit for Guitars For Vets. One of the founders of G4V, Patrick Nettesheim, and the executive director, Eric Weinstein, are coming over from Milwaukee to accept the donation of the "Flight 93 Memorial Guitar" built by my friends TW Felty and Don Bremmer. This special guitar will likely be auctioned nationally by G4V to raise funds to buy more guitars for veterans. They have already provided over 1,000 guitars for deserving Veterans who made sacrifices for our freedom and liberty.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... V9h_Y0oyUQ

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"THANK YOU" to all the veterans of LTG, and beyond!

walrus

littlesongs

Reaction score
"To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country's service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations."
-- President Woodrow Wilson, November 11, 1919

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
dreadnut said:
I'm pretty geeked about this :D Tomorrow, we're having our annual Veterans Day Benefit for Guitars For Vets. One of the founders of G4V, Patrick Nettesheim, and the executive director, Eric Weinstein, are coming over from Milwaukee to accept the donation of the "Flight 93 Memorial Guitar" built by my friends TW Felty and Don Bremmer. This special guitar will likely be auctioned nationally by G4V to raise funds to buy more guitars for veterans. They have already provided over 1,000 guitars for deserving Veterans who made sacrifices for our freedom and liberty.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... V9h_Y0oyUQ

It's a good thing that you're doing.

Dave (Navy Vet) :D

Shady Wilbury

Reaction score
That's a beautiful guitar. It's a formidable tribute to the victims of Flight 93. I love the fact that the names are burned into the guitar, and can be felt like the memorials.

Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Casey

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah Shady, it really is a special guitar; an artistic response to the madness of 9/11. The back and sides are made from Michigan swamp maple, it has both flame and birdseyes. The bridge and fingerboard are ebony, and the inlay is MOP. The neck is 3-piece maple. The top is bearclaw spruce. The back of the headstock is overlayed with walnut, the front of the headstock is something different, not sure what that is. The binding is made of a darker wood, not sure what that is either. All the woods were selected to be highly figured. You can just tell a lot of love went into this instrument. I played it last night for awhile, she really sings :D I hope whomever ends up with it plays it, because it needs to make music rather than sit behind glass, imho.

Bing k

Reaction score
usa.gif

gilded

Reaction score
dreadnut, et al,

Pretty cool, indeed. Tomorrow, my band is providing a bit of music for a local Veterans Day Commemorative Ceremony at, coincidentally, the Arlington Texas Veterans Park. I'll be thinking of you Veterans at 11:00AM!

Here's are two views of the Park, one on Veterans Day 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hvd3JFCS-E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKAznQ_k ... =endscreen

If you get to the second vid, you'll hear my band playing Dock of the Bay. We're in the background as World War II Sailor Glenn McDuffie explains 'The Kiss' that got him photographed by Alred Eisenstaedt on VJ day, 1945 and was later published in Life Magazine. But that's another story, isn't it, with plenty of Contenders for the Throne. Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-J_Day_in_Times_Square

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Almost 100 years ago my stepfather enlisted in the army. In today's world he wouldn't be quite old enough to drive. Canada had 8 million population, and 800,000 enlisted for the army, 80,000 of them never returned. That's 10% of the population that went and 10% of those that never came back. .... So how do you begin to ever say thank you, never forget. Steffan

Bing k

Reaction score
taabru45 said:
Almost 100 years ago my stepfather enlisted in the army. In today's world he wouldn't be quite old enough to drive. Canada had 8 million population, and 800,000 enlisted for the army, 80,000 of them never returned. That's 10% of the population that went and 10% of those that never came back. .... So how do you begin to ever say thank you, never forget. Steffan

50x25.gif

Salute!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks to Applebees for a free Veterans Day dinner, too!

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bing k said:
taabru45 said:

50x25.gif

Salute![/quote

Thanks Bing, those are staggering numbers, shocked me. Don't think I've ever known a better man than my stepfather, now more than ever!
.... And I've heard the couple in the picture didn't even know each other.

Bing k

Reaction score
:lol: :lol:

My old man was reconnaissance for Patton. He went through the lines thirteen times before being captured in the Battle of the Bulge when Patton's tanks ran out of fuel and the reconnaissance units could not get back to the allied side of the line. As a POW he was part of "The March"
across Germany and Poland in the dead of winter in which many prisoners perished. They ate whatever they could find including grass. They could tell the end was coming because Germans were using horses to move their arms and towards the end they walked both ways as the allies and the Red Army pinched the Germans from East and West fronts.

He survived partially by trading 7 American cigarets he cut up and traded to German guards for food.

He told us of one night when they were housed in a barn. A lady came to milk the cows with a stack of milk buckets. Once she was in the barn with the prisoners she separated the buckets to reveal loafs of bread concealed between the buckets. That bread and the milk from the cows was the most they had eaten for weeks. My dad's service weight was 165 lbs. When he was liberated on a Friday the 13th he weighed 113 lbs. He said they were so weak when liberated they had to have help stepping the 6 inches from the street up to the curb to get in to the hospital.
He made it home but there were many who didn't.

ladytexan

Reaction score
To all LTG veterns, thank you for all that you have done for us.

To Dreadnut, thank you for all you do for the Guitar for Vets program.