Top Guild Myths

tjmangum

Reaction score
As us diehards know, there is a lot of misinformation out there regarding Guild guitars. Perhaps we can create our own "Snopes" thread here to debunk these "urban guitar legends"
I'll start it out with an easy one that comes to mind:

Myth: All Guilds are made in China
Fact: While Guild does have a line of guitars produced in China, Guild guitars have been manufactured in the USA (at various locations) for nearly 60 years with the present plant located in New Hartford, Connecticut.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
tjmangum said:
As us diehards know, there is a lot of misinformation out there regarding Guild guitars. Perhaps we can create our own "Snopes" thread here to debunk these "urban guitar legends"
I'll start it out with an easy one that comes to mind:

Myth: All Guilds are made in China
Fact: While Guild does have a line of guitars produced in China, Guild guitars have been manufactured in the USA (at various locations) for nearly 60 years with the present plant located in New Hartford, Connecticut.

For completeness note also that some Guilds are also being made in Mexico.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
It doesn't come up the same way but there is often a variation that the company was founded by disgruntled Epiphone employees.

The idea that Guild was a well managed family business until evil Fender bought them is fairly persistent and ignores several conglomerates and other entities that owned the brand before Fender. (Who owned Guild is a question of fact. Whether quality improved or declined under the various owners is, however, an opinion :wink: )

idealassets

Reaction score
several conglomerates and other entities that owned the brand before Fender.
No problem AMF (the bowlling ball company) owned Harley Davidson cycles for a long time.

Urban legend: 12 string guitars (especailly a Guild) are difficult to play. I'll be perfectly happy to not disagree with this thought!

Craig

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
The idea that Guild was a well managed family business until evil Fender bought them...

I think "they" say that about every company Fender has ever acquired. Including Fender itself, when acquired by CBS. (And that one may be true :lol: )

Dave :D

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
-The only good ones were made in Westerly. (Hoboken, anyone?!?)

-Guild only made acoustics. (seriously, I've heard "Guild electrics?!?" quite a few times)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
One more: "Guilds tend to be plywood except their top of the line models."
(to the tune of "Bobby McGee)" Ply-wood's just another word for laminated back and sides.....rosewood, maple and mahogany...." :lol:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"All Guilds have cracks"
It's in a thread somewhere.... remember? We all came to the conclusion that it was probably the secret of the Guild sound, and some of us (the most unfortunate owners of non cracked Guilds) were looking for a good cracker to get them fixed. :shock:
:lol:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I think one of my favorites has always been "1998....... pre Fender", or something along those lines.

West

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Taylor Martin Guild said:
The best Guilds were made in Westerly. The worst Guilds were made in Corona.

Now that once's true..... And lets keep it true so we can buy those poor misguided rejected orphans and redistribute them to a loving home where they will be accepted by someone with a loving heart and a thin wallet. :lol: (I.e. they're still the best bargain in town...shhhhh) Steffan

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
bluesypicky said:
"All Guilds have cracks"
It's in a thread somewhere.... remember? We all came to the conclusion that it was probably the secret of the Guild sound, and some of us (the most unfortunate owners of non cracked Guilds) were looking for a good cracker to get them fixed. :shock:
:lol:
:lol: :lol: I do remember that thread, Pascal. The famous Guild ad on eBay or craigslist..... "...all Guilds have cracks." It's part of their charm, right? Those of us with uncracked Guilds certainly felt cheated...... I know I did. :wink:

Taylor Martin Guild said:
The best Guilds were made in Westerly. The worst Guilds were made in Corona.
This is one of my favorite misconceptions and I'm hoping one day to be able to cash in, big time, on the benefit. Fender can take the blame on this one for allowing an entire inventory of guitars to be liquidated as "seconds" as they ONCE AGAIN moved the company to a new location..... :roll:

charliea

Reaction score
marcellis said:
The Guild Hump.

Please tell me that's a myth.

Here it is.

quasimodo.jpg