What strings do you prefer.

cpeehler7

Reaction score
Hey again everyone. So I'm in the market for some new strings, I broke both high E strings on my JF30-12 in the last 3 days, so it must be time to replace them haha. I decided to buy Elixer 80/20 Nanoweb since they're supposed to last longer, they sounded great, but I broke both E strings... I had whatever set that came with the guitar for 6 months with no issues. I'm sort of thinking of trying a cheaper set of strings too, I'm a college student and dropping $25 on a change of strings is a bit steep. Just wondering what strings you like, since so many of you guys have Guild 12 strings I figured this would be the right place to ask!

Also I did change from standard tuning to DADGAD when I broke the 2nd string, which would have had something to do with it. They both broke right under my capo on the 2nd fret too which is strange, never happened to me before. Maybe I had the capo in a wear position or something. Well I look forward to your suggestions, thanks in advance.

Christian.

geoguy

Reaction score
I use D'Addario EXP38, coated light-gauge phosphor bronze sets on my Guild 12-strings.

Don't normally change tunings on them, & I may have a light touch, but I change them something like once per year & have yet to break a string.

They won't be inexpensive to purchase ($15.83 per set at juststrings dot com), but hopefully they'll last longer than what you just tried!

For now, maybe you could just purchase a couple of replacement high E strings?

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Yes, just replace the 2 broken strings, They are not coated.
I use Elixir strings on my 12 string but not on my 6 string guitars.
I tried using non coated strings on the 12 string but they would go dead just sitting on the guitar.
I figured that Elixirs are cheaper in the long run because of their longevity.

cpeehler7

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I think I'll order a set of the D'Addario phosphor bronze . $15 isn't bad at all, just curious have you compared 80/20 and the P. bronze? If so what difference do you think there is between them?

I figure I should try a set of D'Addario since I've had a good history with not being able to break them in the past. I have an old Harmony Montery from the 50s with a set of medium uncoated D'Addario strings on there. It's my beater guitar and I really do beat on it when I play, and they strings are almost 3 years old without breaking haha. I like having dead strings on that guitar, not sure why that is though...I know there are probably quite a few guys out there cringing at the fact that someone can play a guitar with strings that old :roll:

geoguy

Reaction score
The 80/20 version sounded too bright/tinny to my ears. Phosphor bronze is bright enough, but a bit warmer than the 80/20's.

Good luck, & let us know what you think about them!

By the way, although it was advertised as only a 6-string & mandolin sale, it appears that JustStrings honored their Black Friday buy-one-get-one-free offer for the 12-string phosphor bronze set that I included in my order two days ago. Shipping was $7 (not bad for 8 sets of strings, total), with no sales tax.

frettedstrings

Reaction score
I usually install GHS Silk & Bronze Strings on both of my acoustics. 11-49 on the F-212 and 12-54 on the D-35. Recently, because I couldn't find my regular strings, in local music stores and a friend recommended another brand) I installed Ernie Ball Earthwoods. They are endorsed by a whole bunch of well known guitarists, but I didn't like them. Phospher Bronze or even 80/20's are too tinny sounding for my taste, I guess.

I order my strings from www.juststrings.com as well. They always have what I need and they ship them and they are in my hands within 2 days.

cpeehler7, if the two e' strings were 9 or 10 mm strings, that might have been your problem. I've never had much luck with anything smaller than 11 mm.

-frettedstrings

marcellis

Reaction score
#1 Elixir Nano's PB or 80/20 (.11 gauge) for my F65ce's

But you have to be a bit more careful stringing. They do seem to break easier.

#2 D'Addario EXP's 13' 26, (.11 gauge) and 11 & 14 (.12 gauge for D60)

#3 Elixir Polys anti-rust (.12's for my D60)

Polys don't sound that good when you put 'em on. But 3 months later, they still sound like that.

cpeehler7

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses again guys. I just stopped at Guitar Center and picked strings up because I've been itching to play my Guild more than usual since I'm laid up for a little while. I was going to buy the D'Addario PB, but they didn't have any. I grabbed the 80/20 and they sounded just as good as the Elixers I just had, same gauge, both 80/20 and coated. I'm very pleased with them, the thing is my JF30-12's E/B strings are very quiet. That's why I want the brightest strings I can get. I do like that my guitar doesn't have too much of that 12 string jangle, I've played a few Breedlove 12s and the high notes just drown everything out in my opinion.

@marcellis about the poly strings, that's the exact experience I had with them on my Epiphone. I had a set they sounded exactly the same 4 months later, but I didn't love the tone. I like the nanoweb much better personally. If I break more E strings I'll probably bump it up to .11, funny thing is I don't have any trouble with the octave G string which is .10. Probably don't hit it quite as hard either though.

Anyway my Guild is sounding great. It definitely needs a setup eventually, I had some bad buzzing from a repaired crack on the neck and the nut wasn't glued in. It just fell out so I tossed a shim under it to stop the buzzing as a temporary fix. I do need to take it into the shop and get a proper setup soon though. Plays perfect with a capo 2nd fret which is how I like to play, but It'd be nice to get it setup regardless. I'm still convinced Guild is the only brand to buy a 12 string from. I played a few Martin/Taylor 12s recently that were double the price of mine, which was just over $800 and they sounded no where near as rich, but that's a story for another thread... Well thanks again for the help, I appreciate it!

Christian.