49 years ago today

Status
Not open for further replies.

CA-35

Reaction score
It was 49 years ago today, a sad day for a nation, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas. RIP Jack.

2012-11-21T221717Z_1653042329_TM3E8BL1BX701_RTRMADP_3_USA-KENNEDY-ANNIVERSARY.JPG

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
killdeer43 said:
Still vivid in my memory after all these years. :(
It was a seminal event in the history of this country.

Thanks Scott,
Joe

While I remember the event, what I remember even more is when a friend of mine was teaching a class and was trying to get the students to understand what it was like when the Nation came together around a common event. The students were not following so my friend used the Assassination of President Kennedy as an example. Blank looks. Finally one of the students raised their hand and somewhat apologetically informed their teacher that they were only 6 months old in November 1963.

Qvart

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Finally one of the students raised their hand and somewhat apologetically informed their teacher that they were only 6 months old in November 1963.

10 1/2 years before I was born. Would have liked to have gone to Dallas while in TX to see the site but it was not to be.

If you find yourself in Tucson, AZ stop by The Shelter. Lots of JFK memorabilia.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Like many, this holds a lot of memories for me.

My family was living in the D.C. area at the time - my father was in the Navy and I was in the 2nd grade. We waited in line all day to view the casket lying "in state" and then stood with thousands by the side of the road to watch the funeral procession roll by.

JFKFuneralProcession112563D.jpg

I can still hear the sound of the drumbeats.

Dave

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was in 4th grade. The Principal came into the room and announced that the president had been shot. Later, he came in and told us President Kennedy had died.

A few days later we watched on live TV as Lee Harvey Oswald was assasinated.

ArchtopAnimal

Reaction score
Being British , I really appreciate how important JFK was to us . In all the years before him , we had no American allies.
FDR and Eisenhower were totally anti-British . Everything they did was entirely for their good only . JFK was a different
personality altogether . Without the Polaris agreement the security of Britain was dire .

Yoko Oh No

Reaction score
here's my take on november 22, 1963....

i was 4, and remember how sad all the grownups were, and i was sad too

when i was in my teens, i saw it as part of a series of events that paved the way for the beatles to conquer america

now, in my fifties, i have a bumper stick on my car that reads NO MORE KENNEDYS

i live in massachusetts, and now know more about the despicable lifestyle of joe the father, and his sons, and believe their liberal politics have played a major role in the unraveling of our great country, and certainly my state

although unfortunate and a sad event in our nations history, personally i have become detached and oblivious to what happened to jfk that day

and, it's sad, as most high schoolers don't have a clue when you mention the date to them.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Folks,
There is a disturbing pattern that reoccurs too often. Someone posts something that suggests at least some level of admiration for a famous person. Various other folks chime but eventually someone posts something about the famous person that is less than admirable. Folks then jump in and depending on the their mood, either attack the poster of the negative information or they start defending the character of the famous person. Let's not do that, now or in the future.

My personal feeling in this case is that "if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing". Your heroes are not my heroes and there is nothing really to be gained by tearing them down.

But, as a moderator I acknowledge the validity of both opinions and would rather not moderate one side out.

OK?

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Folks,
There is a disturbing pattern that reoccurs too often. Someone posts something that suggests at least some level of admiration for a famous person. Various other folks chime but eventually someone posts something about the famous person that is less than admirable. Folks then jump in and depending on the their mood, either attack the poster of the negative information or they start defending the character of the famous person. Let's not do that, now or in the future.

My personal feeling in this case is that "if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing". Your heroes are not my heroes and there is nothing really to be gained by tearing them down.

But, as a moderator I acknowledge the validity of both opinions and would rather not moderate one side out.

OK?

Hear, hear! Well done, indeed. :wink:

Joe

6L6

Reaction score
I was in my Senior year of HS and sitting in the school library when I got the news. Something I'll never forget.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I was in the military and we went on full alert for two weeks.
When the news came, we were in Baumholder, Germany, where we immediately loaded up and drove into the night to Wiesbaden AFB, to bivouac with C-130s, parachutes, and ammo ready to go. :|

Tension? You bet!

Joe

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Without touching any politics on the topic per se, I have been to Dealey Plaza on several occasions. In fact, I've even taken a Guild group or two there. I've stood at the X which marks the physical position of President Kennedy, and have toured the infamous school book depository.

I am also an avid shooter and own a high powered rifle or two and have been somewhat of a ballistics buff all of my life. I'm not a huge Oliver Stone fan, but think the movie JFK was a pretty good show. In fact, I've met the author and technical advisor there at Dealey Plaza and talked with him at length one day....Robert Grodin I believe his name is. I'm here to tell you that there is no way on God's green earth that the fatal shot that killed Kennedy came from the window in the depository......it's impossible. All one has to do is stand at Dealey Plaza, then watch the Zapruder footage, and if you're ever shot a rifle.......we'll you'd see what I'm talking about. I don't buy the Ozwalt firing the fatal shot story for a second....never have.

OH....there he goes again......."Conspiracy theorist"! :lol:

West

CA-35

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Without touching any politics on the topic per se, I have been to Dealey Plaza on several occasions. In fact, I've even taken a Guild group or two there. I've stood at the X which marks the physical position of President Kennedy, and have toured the infamous school book depository.

I am also an avid shooter and own a high powered rifle or two and have been somewhat of a ballistics buff all of my life. I'm not a huge Oliver Stone fan, but think the movie JFK was a pretty good show. In fact, I've met the author and technical advisor there at Dealey Plaza and talked with him at length one day....Robert Grodin I believe his name is. I'm here to tell you that there is no way on God's green earth that the fatal shot that killed Kennedy came from the window in the depository......it's impossible. All one has to do is stand at Dealey Plaza, then watch the Zapruder footage, and if you're ever shot a rifle.......we'll you'd see what I'm talking about. I don't buy the Ozwalt firing the fatal shot story for a second....never have.

West

You are spot on West!! Four shots from a bolt action rifle in 3 seconds? I don't think so. Oswald was a patsy, and Specter was a moron when he proposed the "magic bullet" theory. IMHWO.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
CA-35 said:
[quote="West R Lee":2lw1xke7]Without touching any politics on the topic per se, I have been to Dealey Plaza on several occasions. In fact, I've even taken a Guild group or two there. I've stood at the X which marks the physical position of President Kennedy, and have toured the infamous school book depository.

West

You are spot on West!! Four shots from a bolt action rifle in 3 seconds? I don't think so. Oswald was a patsy, and Specter was a moron when he proposed the "magic bullet" theory. IMHWO.[/quote:2lw1xke7]

Wouldn't you love to know who and why CA? I'm not so sure the theory in the movie was too far off base.

West

CA-35

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
[quote="CA-35":272zhspo][quote="West R Lee":272zhspo]Without touching any politics on the topic per se, I have been to Dealey Plaza on several occasions. In fact, I've even taken a Guild group or two there. I've stood at the X which marks the physical position of President Kennedy, and have toured the infamous school book depository.

West

You are spot on West!! Four shots from a bolt action rifle in 3 seconds? I don't think so. Oswald was a patsy, and Specter was a moron when he proposed the "magic bullet" theory. IMHWO.[/quote:272zhspo]

Wouldn't you love to know who and why CA? I'm not so sure the theory in the movie was too far off base.

West[/quote:272zhspo]

I'm not so sure I would West. I have my opinion, which I will keep private, however consider who had the motive and the opportunity and you don't have to look too far. I think one day, when all the players are gone, the truth may squeak out. War is good for business, and Jack wanted it stopped.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Heck, I'll say it.....and the man was from Texas. There's no way an operation of that magnitude and complexity took place without LBJ's knowledge. Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant was right down the road from me in Karnack, Texas.....built on land owned by Lady Bird Johnson's family.....and in full production throughout the Vietnam war. General Dynamics if Fort Worth.....Bell........the list goes on.

West

Qvart

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Without touching any politics on the topic per se...

Oooooh..................we should take this topic over HERE so y'all can tell me how you really feel. :lol:

CA-35

Reaction score
My intent for this post was to remember a President who's life was tragically cut short. All the rest is speculation and fodder.

We all have our opinions but after all this is a guitar forum, and our nation's history will be debated for the ages and if we don't learn from it we are doomed to repeat it. I think I prefer guitar talk, my bad. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.