Seals and salmon, Part II

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The pace seems to be picking up in the creek. Almost a dozen seals were grabbing salmon this afternoon, one of them impersonating a sea otter.

sealwsalmonthreec.jpg

Harbor seal w/ chum salmon

Due to heavy rains, the creek is running high and with the seasonal high tide, the basin is full to overflowing. :wink:

Joe

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
learnintoplay62 said:
Hi Joe. Great shot as usual. Are there any bears near bye? Or do you have to go further up stream?
You know, Bob, the real beauty of this annual event is that all this action takes place right behind the main post office, in the heart of downtown. :D

This stream runs 3 miles from a deep-water lake, through town and into the bay at the main waterfront. The salmon that make it past the fishermen and the seals get to take on the falls and then it's clear sailing to the spawning channels. They can't make it past the second falls unless they're on steroids!

It's a unique stream and one which I've promoted in the area with slide presentations, etc. Ninety-eight species of birds, numerous mammal species, and a lot of folks don't even know about it! :shock:

Stay tuned and thanks,
Joe

CA-35

Reaction score
Nice photos Joe! :D

I've seen bears usually eat the skin only because of the fat content, do the seals do the same or do they eat everything?

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
CA-35 said:
Nice photos Joe! :D

I've seen bears usually eat the skin only because of the fat content, do the seals do the same or do they eat everything?
Thanks, Scott.
I've seen them strip off the skin first, but I've also seen them dig into the juicy, red flanks!
I think that as they get full, they gab the skin and let the gulls have the rest. The gulls appreciate the clean-up business! :wink:

*Almost like cats, they seem to enjoy toying with their catches.

Joe