Fishman Loudbox Mini/Artist - any opinions?

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm thinking about getting me an acoustic amp soon, especially considering one of the Fishman amps for use at home and in church.
Does someone here know/use those? Opinions? Pros/Cons? Would you buy it again?
Any "must try before" competitors?
Markus :D

silverfox103

Reaction score
Hi Markus

I have that exact amp. I can't say enough good things about it. I just use it for home use, it has more power than I will ever need. It's compact lightweight and has plenty of volume. Would I buy one again, absolutely.

I don't think you can go wrong. I have had it for about a year. I can't remember what I paid for it. It was either just under $200 or just under $300. I leaning towards the $300.

Tom

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
The Loudbox is a very nice, small acoustic amp. If you want to use it as a small PA then I'd suggest a couple of things.
1. Get it off the floor. It will fill the room at lower volume settings if the sound is directed at ear level. Even sitting it on a chair will help a lot.
2. Be careful how it's directed as it relates to you, the performer. If you have it off to the side or in front of you you'll have a hard time hearing exactly what the audience is hearing. Even if you have the vocals going thru a PA and you are just using the amp for your guitar it can be tough hearing how you guitar is sitting in the overall mix.
2. If your budget allows, look at the Fishman SA200 solo amp.

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
silverfox103 said:
Hi Markus

I have that exact amp. I can't say enough good things about it. I just use it for home use, it has more power than I will ever need. It's compact lightweight and has plenty of volume. Would I buy one again, absolutely.

I don't think you can go wrong. I have had it for about a year. I can't remember what I paid for it. It was either just under $200 or just under $300. I leaning towards the $300.

Tom
Thank you, Tom.
I guess you're talking about the Loudbox Mini and it was around $300; around here street price is around $470, but my music shop offered me a pretty good price (for here).
I like what I've seen in the shop, bur the bigger one (Artist) is nice too …
Price-wise the relation of those two is the same as in the US: the Artist is some 50-60% more.
It is more of everything: Two full channels (XLR / 1/4' jacks on both), phantom power, more controls (especially on effects); but also size, weight (25,5 vs. 19,7 lbs) and price. :roll: :oops:
I'm not fast in taking this kind of decisions … :roll:

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
evenkeel said:
The Loudbox is a very nice, small acoustic amp. If you want to use it as a small PA then I'd suggest a couple of things.
1. Get it off the floor. It will fill the room at lower volume settings if the sound is directed at ear level. Even sitting it on a chair will help a lot.
2. Be careful how it's directed as it relates to you, the performer. If you have it off to the side or in front of you you'll have a hard time hearing exactly what the audience is hearing. Even if you have the vocals going thru a PA and you are just using the amp for your guitar it can be tough hearing how you guitar is sitting in the overall mix.
2. If your budget allows, look at the Fishman SA200 solo amp.
Thank you for the tips!
The Solo is to big for me as I want to use it for small groups (<40 people) and at home too. For bigger crowds I use a PA system. And budget is a good point, too: The Solo is twice the price of the Artist.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I will have to be the wet rag here... :(

Although I suspect the true culprit is actually the pickup install in my D55, but having borrowed Scott Matsumoto's Fishman Mini, I found it underpowered and very "boomy" with the D55...could not get it EQ'd to where I would think it playable...even with the K & K preamp...

A million happy users cannot be wrong, but I would humbly suggest that you try whatever guitar you are planning on using with the Fishman before committing to it.

All that said, Scott's use backing Enid Ames (singer/songwriter) with his Cocobolo Taylor and this amp sounded quite heavenly (the Taylor with the ESS system of course)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP-_UM1k ... ure=colike

Scott is not on this one, but I have to give Enid a plug :oops: , great great talent

Bing k

Reaction score
I really like the AG 100 or AG 150 from Phil Jones Pure Sound.
http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=13
Really hard to beat.

main.png

main.png

If you need more: AG 300
main.png

We have performers using these and they really like them.

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bill Ashton said:
Although I suspect the true culprit is actually the pickup install in my D55, … even with the K & K preamp …
Do I understand right? You think it might not perfectly installed? You're talking about a K&K Western mini with an outboard preamp, right?

Bill Ashton said:
… , but I would humbly suggest that you try whatever guitar you are planning on using with the Fishman before committing to it.
That's what I should do next; especially because the guitar I'm planning to use with it most is my DV4 with the Western mini. :?

Seems there's more homework to do before writing my wishlist for christmas …

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bing k said:
I really like the AG 100 or AG 150 from Phil Jones Pure Sound. … Really hard to beat.
I'd really like to hear those, but I coudn't find them in the music stores around here.
Looking at the specs: weight looks good :D , but no phantom power (I use an AKG C411 with my JF30-12) :(

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
I'm a big fan of my Line 6 precisely because of the size and weight compared to the alternatives.
Weight is an important point: I'm not a strong young man anymore … :wink:
Yours is the LowDown Studio 110, right?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
markus said:
fronobulax said:
I'm a big fan of my Line 6 precisely because of the size and weight compared to the alternatives.
Weight is an important point: I'm not a strong young man anymore … :wink:
Yours is the LowDown Studio 110, right?

Yes. There are pics in mellowgerman's FS thread (since I bought it from him) and it shows up in some of the earlier 2012 Philly Guitar Show and LMG III photos.

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
… and it shows up in some of the earlier 2012 Philly Guitar Show and LMG III photos.
I remember it from Ski Sundown; and to me it was very good sounding given the size.

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Meanwhile I have played Loudbox Artist and Mini A/B;
the Mini sounds great until you plug the Artist in:
it has more full, bold sound as you would expect from the difference in size and weight;
and there are the more flexible and professional features it has …

But I'm not decided yet! :oops: