" Shoulder surgery "

Roger Smith

Reaction score
Looks like my guitar playing is getting a timeout.
I have surgery scheduled this Tuesday Nov. 27th to repair a couple
torn rotator cuffs and a torn labrum in my picking/strumming arm. :cry:
At 63,life is catching up with me.
32 years of securing truck loads with chains/binders finally taking a toll.

At least 6-8 weeks off work and 6 months of rehab.
Past 3 months have been miserable. :(

I'll be glad when it's over and I can get a decent
nights rest,play catch with my kids and make music again.

Anyone else been down this road ?

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
Hi Roger. I can give you the good, the bad, and the ugly, since you asked. My biggest suggestion is that you'd better consider Jesus when your going thru rehab. Of course this is only MY EXPERIENCE, hopefully yours will be better :shock:
A quick recap of my experience;
Injured my right shoulder throwing baseball and put up with serious pain off and on for a looong time. Finally after I could not stand the pain and got little sleep for about 6 months I had my labrum repaired but not the rotator. The rotator only had a small tear. I have to say that it was the single most painful thing I have ever endured and no amount of drugs could calm it down. I went thru 6 months of extended rehab and still couldn't lift my arm above my head. I had a good doctor but I scarred up heavily, which was the problem. They wanted to do another surgery but put an implanted oxy drip in my neck. No thank you please. Remarkably, I broke up the scar tissue on my own by accident and there was quick relief. My recovery took about 15 months or so but now about 70% of normal. That is all I will probably get.
Needless to say it was an experience that I will not forget. The good news is that along the way I learned to do things with my left hand like throw baseballs, footballs , frisbees etc. so I could keep up with my boy :D
My advice would be to start rehab as soon as possible. Actually, the next day if at all possible so the scarring won't have time to build up.
I do remember many a night speaking to God about the pain and the only answers I received was to deal with it :wink:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Roger Smith said:
Anyone else been down this road ?[/color][/b]
Warning: A little long.....

Since you asked, not only have I been there and done that but I could also go there again....but I won't. Don't let me rain on your parade but here's my story....

I knew that my left rotator cuff was torn before I took on the task of building our place, and the plan was to have the surgery after we moved in and when I could set aside 6-12 months to rehab. So, I had the surgery and was told beforehand by my surgeon that the success rate was 80%. Well, I beefed up the 20% group because mine was not successful. As they say in the trade, "it just didn't take." I actually had more pain after than I did before. The surgeon said that he'd do it again, but would also "have to" charge me again, though not as much as the first time.
I set up an overhead 'pulley system' in my office and followed a rehab regimen for almost a year after the surgery, but I've never felt like it was "back to normal."

Not too long after the first one, I had another tear, on the right shoulder. I decided not to go through the process again, either to try again on the left side or on the right. I know that I'm going to be in pain now and then and I just live with my decision.

My pain threshold is pretty high and I just keep on keeping on. I work through any discomfort when it comes up now and then, but I remain active so there is life after surgery. I still play guitar and I think my singing's even improved. :D

Everyone's experience will be different and my story notwithstanding, I just wish you the best on Tuesday. I'll be pulling for you to be one of the 80%! :wink:

Take care of yourself,
Joe

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hey Rog, best of luck. And all I'll say regarding rehab, having seen my wife go through it with her shoulder, and my having gone through it with my knee and most recently with my neck.........well, it works miracles. Uncomfortable at times, rehab can restore your mobility, range of motion, and eventually make you virtually pain free. Another important rehab tool will be the exersizes given you by your doctor and/or your therapist.........do them, a lot of guys don't and they usually eventually pay for it.

West

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Had one off those a few years ago, Dr. told me to keep using it, immobility was the worst thing, couldn't raise my arm up either. Kept on keeping on, today it's fine. Great advice from West. Steffan

Roger Smith

Reaction score
Thanks for the honesty, encouragement and kind words.
I'm having faith that much good will come from this.
Best regards to all.
:D

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had my right shoulder (strumming arm) done a few years back. The recovery was not fun, but do everything they tell you to do in PT and you'll get your shoulder back. It was a very happy day when I could finally wrap my arm around my acoustic again.

Speaking of which, if you don't have an electric, you might consider getting one. A nice thin, light guitar like an SG or S100 would fit the bill nicely. Anything that doesn't involve you lifting your arm will do. I actually started with my daughter's 3/4 scale electric, then moved up to the SG, then the Starfire, then the acoustic.

You'll get there. Just remember that during PT, the pain is definitely worth it. You have to retrain your brain, since it's the one that's holding you back!

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
All the best. I hope you'll be back at playing your guitars soon!
Markus :D

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Had my right and left done a year apart. Each time I was into therapy the day after surgery. After reading some of these posts I have to say that I may be the luckiest one out of the bunch. The post surgical pain was a cake walk compared to pre-surgery. Remembering that I just dove into PT and pushed it hard. If I recall it was actually only 5 weeks of rehab but it did take 3 months or so to get some real strength back. Good luck to you. You'll do fine.

Peace

rws11

Reaction score
Roger,
I can't give you any advice other than to do the PT thing. I've been driving for nearly forty years myself, and I've been lucky that the few ailments I've had I've been able to overcome with the physical therapy.
Not so for my younger brother, whose been driving as long as I have. He's had neck surgery, and back surgery with several months of recoup and rehab each time.
He's back but not to a hundred percent. He's just trying to make it to retirement now. I've finally made it to social security age. I'd quit now, but I've become accustomed to eating at regular intervals.
I wish you good luck with your surgery and rehab. I know from personal experience how miserable it is to sit under a steering wheel for hours on end with pain that won't go away. Manys the time I've called on the name of the Lord........and my Mama too.
Gods speed.

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
Roger Smith said:
Looks like my guitar playing is getting a timeout.
I have surgery scheduled this Tuesday Nov. 27th to repair a couple
torn rotator cuffs and a torn labrum in my picking/strumming arm. :cry:
At 63,life is catching up with me.
32 years of securing truck loads with chains/binders finally taking a toll.

At least 6-8 weeks off work and 6 months of rehab.
Past 3 months have been miserable. :(

I'll be glad when it's over and I can get a decent
nights rest,play catch with my kids and make music again.

Anyone else been down this road ?

Yes, I have, Roger.
Shoulder surgery was back in August of 2001, with rotater cuff repair, plus the Doc cleaned up the inside of the joint.
I've been able to reach for my wallet, since the surgery....and that's a good thing.

I'm also a fellow trucker (retired), after a 30+ year carreer hooking up double bottoms in snow depth up to my waist, because many shippers didn't plow their compounds.
They figured chains would be all the tractor needed to navigate through two to four feet depth of snow....Ever use a shovel to get the equipment out of an unplowed compound?

Trucker to shipper's maintenance manager: "My rig cannnot make it through Your yard to R&R hook up double bottoms."
Shipper's maintenance manager to trucker: "Chain it up!"

Oy vey! :?

Roger Smith

Reaction score
Thanks to all you folks for taking time to respond to my post.
I really am grateful for the candor and encouraging,positive words.
I am currently in the post surgery-pain phase. :cry: The nerve block is nearly worn off and I started
taking my meds at noon...oxycodone/percocet. :?

So glad I am home with my wife and children around me.
Eight weeks of FMLA and lots of P/T to look forward to.
I'll be home for Christmas !

Wishing everyone at LTG the best Christmas ever! :D
God bless you.
Roger Smith and Family
Westport,Wa.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Roger Smith said:
Thanks to all you folks for taking time to respond to my post.
I really am grateful for the candor and encouraging,positive words.
I am currently in the post surgery-pain phase. :cry: The nerve block is nearly worn off and I started
taking my meds at noon...oxycodone/percocet. :?

So glad I am home with my wife and children around me.
Eight weeks of FMLA and lots of P/T to look forward to.
I'll be home for Christmas !

Wishing everyone at LTG the best Christmas ever! :D
God bless you.
Roger Smith and Family
Westport,Wa.

Atta boy Roger. Now all you need to do is what they tell you to do.......you'll be just fine. And prayers for a speedy recovery headed your way.

West