Now that's an expensive piece of ice!

CA-35

Reaction score
This is a phenomenal picture of an iceberg from April 12th of 1912, taken by Captain W.F. Wood of the S.S. Etonian. It is expected to bring 8 to 10 thousand dollars at auction. The coordinates noted on the picture are roughly where the Titanic hit an iceberg of its general shape and size two days later on April 14th.

*Disclaimer (WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING THE SINKING OF THE TITANIC in any way, shape or form. I am making note of a great photo of historical value. Please no conspiracy theorists)

ht_titanic_iceberg_jp_121126_wmain.jpg

It's a shame there is nothing in the foreground for scale....but looking at the wave height I'm gonna guess 300 feet long and 125 feet at it's highest point?

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There are conspiracy theories on the Titanic? :lol:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of an old joke.... 8)
*It's a joke!!

Guy in a bar rants that he hates Jews because they sank the Titanic.
Guy next to him says that Jews didn't sink the Titanic, it was an iceberg.
First guy says, "Iceberg, Rosenberg....it's all the same to me!"

Joe

Yoko Oh No

Reaction score
i am not conspiring anything here...but....

i've seen the jfkennedy autopsy pics...and this iceberg look eerily like the profile image of his bust lying on the table....

just sayin...

oh, and tom, i thought the sinking of the titanic was bush's fault?

seriously....great image and historical info...i'm a huge fan of vintage photography, thanks for posting

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
CA-35 said:
*Disclaimer (WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING THE SINKING OF THE TITANIC in any way, shape or form. I am making note of a great photo of historical value. Please no conspiracy theorists)
I tried that once too and it didn't work for me either. My sympathies are all with you. :wink:
Really cool photo though with an accompanying hair-rasing question: Was that the one?
And yes have seen some pretty cool investigative documentaries recently about the efforts to deduce what really happpened now that the location of the wreck is known and it can be physically examined.

CA-35

Reaction score
davismanLV said:
No, effin.... but the Kennedys were responsible for the sinking of the Titanic..... everyone knows that..... :roll:
Thomas are you trying to get me LOCKED again?? My threads must remain Frono friendly! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

adorshki said:
Really cool photo though with an accompanying hair-rasing question: Was that the one?

Yes Al, and there are drawings made of the iceberg by surviving crew members that corroborate the story.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Locked threads are most often NOT a reflection on the person who started them.

The report I saw on the photo did include some of the evidence that it was the same iceberg. Very interesting, regardless.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Cap'n Juan would have put a reassuring "winkie" ( :wink: ) after that comment.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
:lol:

CA-35

Reaction score
fronobulax said:

And locked threads are most often not a reflection of the moderator as well. :D 8) :p