How far off is pricing of used guitars on Ebay, CL & Forums?

How far off is pricing of used guitars on Ebay, CL & Guitar Forums?

• I find most pricing honest, fair and reasonable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I feel less than 20% of items offered are out of line

• I think about 50% are not true to the market

• Most items listed in these venues are over priced

• Prices vary depending upon the source

• Total voters

tjmangum

Reaction score
I spend too much time searching for guitars :roll: and it seems most are listed far in excess of what the market value may be. Do you think this is true?

griehund

Reaction score
tjmangum said:
I spend too much time searching for guitars :roll: and it seems most are listed far in excess of what the market value may be. Do you think this is true?

Pricing in theory should reflect value. But value is extremely subjective. So the nature of the beast is undefinable. Does that make sense :?:

tjmangum

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
I presume you mean asking prices...
Exactly. While you can see what an item sold, or didn't sell for, on Ebay, one has no way of knowing the ultimate price on CL or Forums.
Perhaps I'm missing an opportunity on some things, but if someone is asking 2K for a $1000-$1100 guitar, I don't inquire or even think of pursuing it. I know pretty much everyone has some "dicker" room in an item, but usually not more than about 10%.
T

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I think the fora that I read (LTG, AGF and Jazz.BE) are more in line with actual value pricing than eBay. I don't usually look at CL, so can't comment there. eBay prices are all over the map, more often on the high side, sometimes very much so.
Brad

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I personally think that EBAY has caused inflated pricing in just about everything in every medium, be it CL or whatever. Heck, even though one can bargain on forums one can still take a beating.

Up until I purchased a couple of guitars from Killdeer, my guitar acquisitons happened between friends and those folks I met at festivals. Oh yeah, I did purchase from Musicians Friend once; not a pleasant experience overall but it finally worked out fine. Still I paid too much and learned that relationships with other musicians is the best route to go.

A Product is only as valuable as the desire to have it.

Peace