Lets Meet Joe Pug's Guilds in Sydney - 23rd November, 2012

Zelja

Reaction score
Well this was a day a few of us LTGers from Sydney & it's surrounds were looking forward too for a long while - to go and catch a Joe Pug show, who is a great young artist & someone you should all check out.

Apart from enjoying the music it was going to be an opportunity to catch up with fellow LTGers, some for the first time.

Before the gig we decided to meet up at my place first. John (southernGuild) came up by train from the beautiful Southern Highlands along with his good mate Damien. I picked them up & took them to Chez Zelko. It was great finally meeting John for the first time in "real life" & his friend Damien is a great guy too. Rob (hagmeat), who I also met via the forum, came by after his day of toil & we settled into playing a few of my Guilds, having a bit of a sing & having a few not so quiet beers.

23112012006sm.jpg

^^^ John with my JF30-12

23112012003sm.jpg

^^^ Here I am too with my D25

JoePugDay002sm.jpg

^^^ A few beers were drunk - mostly the other 3 as I was designated driver. :evil:

JoePugDay003sm.jpg

^^^ Rob with my JF30-12 with Damien (who has a fine voice) looking on & John trying to make his camera work.

We had a bite to eat & off to the Annandale Hotel to see Joe. The support band were also quite good, folksy , bluegrassy, highly energetic stuff by some youngsters called Little Bastard. Must have been 6 or 7 in the band.

Joe hit the stage with 2 Guilds in tow - a New Hartford D40 & a Westerly D25. With those 2 guitars, his harmonica & his voice he proceeded to enchant & entertain the crowd for the next hour or so. He is a really engaging performer with a passionate delivery. Not a super elaborate player but he played some fine, intricate stuff & varied it greatly. His use of dynamics was fantastic & a lesson to me. He held the attention of the whole room by himself for the whole show - not a dull moment. He was also very charming & funny in his interactions with the audience who were a testament to his wide appeal. They were an eclectic bunch from pink haired late teens to lets say more mature folks & also people in the throe of midlife crisis like myself.

The Guilds sounded great,especially the D40 I must say. Big, bold, rich, clear & full.

JoePugDay005sm.jpg

069sm.jpg

065sm.jpg

059sm.jpg

JoePugDay008sm.jpg

JoePugDay009sm.jpg

After the gig we all caught up with Joe. John presented him with a card that his daughter Sakkara made for Joe & Mr Pug was well chuffed. More to that story - John will fill you in.

JoePugDay012sm.jpg

JoePugDay011sm.jpg

076sm.jpg

083sm.jpg

JoePugDay013sm.jpg

Well satisfied after seeing a performer who is surely going places we headed back home. Rob wants everyone to know that he was standing on the low side of the kerb in a ditch. :D

080sm.jpg

After some more chit chat & drinks we retired for the night with John & Damien crashing at my place before catching the train back in the morning. They didn't snore so were excellent house guests. :lol:

All in all, a fantastic time with great company, wonderful music & full of our favourite guitars. And none of it would have happened without LTG! :) 8)

Also, definitely check out Joe Pug & if he's in your neighbourhood, go & see him. He's the real deal folks.

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
What a great story, made me smile! Thanks for posting.
I'm waiting for the story of the Hohner harp … :shock:
Markus :D

roughdiamond

Reaction score
Nice story boys thnx for sharing very cool....but becks?! where's the tooheys or vb? Brought back fuzzy vague hazy memories of seeing 'You am I' at the Annandale once upon a time promoting an early E.P.

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Zelja said:
All in all, a fantastic time with great company, wonderful music & full of our favourite guitars. And none of it would have happened without LTG! :) 8)

Also, definitely check out Joe Pug & if he's in your neighbourhood, go & see him. He's the real deal folks.
Zelko, You nailed it!
What a treat to see this thread this morning. :D Lots of memories from a really great night out.
It was one of those evenings when everything just worked out right ( except for my camera, which chose this very evening to play up on me.) It was a real treat to meet Zelko and Rob, to play some beautiful Guilds, have a 'few' beers and have a laugh and sing. Zelko and I vowed last year that when Joe Pug came to Aus. again, we were going to get out and go see him. When the date was announced, we started the countdown. Rob joined in ( 'Laverda' almost was able to make it) and
suddenly we had a mini LTG event. What a real treat that was, to meet and hang out with these guys! They looked after us very well, and we felt like we were with old friends there...Great stuff! It was such a good night that we are all planning to get together again soon.
Joe Pug was fantastic. His music, guitar playing, and engagement with the audience was spot on. It was one of those events where you can actually feel you're witnessing something pretty special. The whole crowd just loved this guy, and his delivery of his songs ( and powerful lyrics) was very moving. The Guilds sounded great too by the way. :D
If you dont know his music, I'd highly reccomend it. and If he comes near your town, seeing him would be a real treat.
A genuinely nice guy too.
I'll have to tell you all about the card my daughter made for him and the harmonica. But right now, I gotta run. Get ready for school time here, and I must join the morning rush. Back soon, But Great to see this thread up Zelko.
Thanks M :wink: ate!

laverda

Reaction score
Man! Am I bummed not to have been able to make it... Sadly we had a previous engagement but I'm in next time for sure, Joe Pug or no!

Great report and I'm glad you guys had a great time :D
Cheers
Mick

Zelja

Reaction score
Glad you guys found something in the story. It is a great thing how this forum can bring people together.

Hopefully Rob & John will add some more - John has a very cool tidbit to share.

roughdiamond said:
Nice story boys thnx for sharing very cool....but becks?! where's the tooheys or vb? Brought back fuzzy vague hazy memories of seeing 'You am I' at the Annandale once upon a time promoting an early E.P.
Ha! At least you didn't say "where's the Fosters" (tourist beer). If it makes you feel any better we did have some Coppers Ale at the pub. :D

The Annandale has a long & distinguished history as a venue, played there myself. I first saw You Am I just up the road at The Marquee club supporting what is now one of my favorite bands in Buffalo Tom, probably in 1993 (yeah, I had a fake ID at the time :wink: :lol: ).

Mick, shame you couldn't make it. Next time!

Marc, we'll let you know next time too & if ever your in the area, by all means drop us a line & we'll make something happen.

hagmeat

Reaction score
roughdiamond said:
Brought back fuzzy vague hazy memories of seeing 'You am I' at the Annandale once upon a time promoting an early E.P.

That`s funny, I have memories of seeing `You Am I` early on in their career at the Annandale as well.
It was a great night, we had a blast. Good company, good music, what more could one ask for.

laverda said:
Man! Am I bummed not to have been able to make it... Sadly we had a previous engagement but I'm in next time for sure, Joe Pug or no!
Great report and I'm glad you guys had a great time :D
Cheers
Mick

Thanks Mick, maybe we can have a LMG Wagga Wagga one day. :) If Fearless, Archtop Animal and Strap on Guildo can
make it as well, that would be the whole Aussie contingent, it would be great if Coastie can come too.

hagmeat

Reaction score
Zelja said:
Glad you guys found something in the story. It is a great thing how this forum can bring people together.

Hopefully Rob & John will add some more - John has a very cool tidbit to share.

roughdiamond said:
Ha! At least you didn't say "where's the Fosters" (tourist beer). If it makes you feel any better we did have some Coppers Ale at the pub. :D

The Annandale has a long & distinguished history as a venue, played there myself. I first saw You Am I just up the road at The Marquee club supporting what is now one of my favorite bands in Buffalo Tom, probably in 1993 (yeah, I had a fake ID at the time :wink: :lol: ).

Mick, shame you couldn't make it. Next time!

Marc, we'll let you know next time too & if ever your in the area, by all means drop us a line & we'll make something happen.

Ha ! I would rather Fosters than V.B(Very Bad beer) or Tooheys(headache in a bottle).
The Becks and Coopers went down well, but the last 2 Bourbon and cokes finished me off.
I realised I was ageing the next morning, but well worth it.

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
markus said:
What a great story, made me smile! Thanks for posting.
I'm waiting for the story of the Hohner harp … :shock:
Markus :D
Thanks Guys. Yes it was a great night, and since it seems to be pretty much a yearly visit to Aus. by Joe Pug, we can likely have another big night next year. :D It would be fantastic to have you other Aussies, and Marc along too!
The Harp? As the Pug date approached, I began playing his music around the house and my 10 y/o daughter began to enjoy his songs as well. Some of his lyrics are great twists on words, and ideas, which has led to some fun and funny questions from her. Eventually, She looked him up on Youtube and was impressed that he played the harp in a harp rack ( Like she does!...well, she 'tries')
When she found out that we intended to meet Joe Pug, and chat with him after the show, she made him a card that thanked him for his music, and noted that 'you can tell it comes from the heart'. She asked that I give him that, and that h sign her plastic harmonica box.
Well, a few years ago, I bought her a special commemorative Hohner boxed harp, and I was keeping that aside till the time was right. It was that one I brought to the show.
After the show, I was able to meet up with Joe and present her with her card. He loved it! and was very touched by the words and the drawing, saying " This is so special, I'm going to put it up in my writing room......Wow!" He was showing off the card to folks well after we met, so I know he was pleased :D
He graciously signed her special harp box, with words that will continue to inspire her for many years, "Keep the music playing in you heart" . He picked up on the "heart' idea of her card, and gave it right back to her in a beautiful way. Clever guy. :wink:
The next day, on his Facebook page, he shared the card with everyone.
Here's a close-up here, with comments.

http://www.facebook.com/joepugmusic/pho ... =3&theater

My daughter loved the notice her art created and comments from others, loves that it made Joe happy, and absolutely loves her special harmonica. Joe Pug has a solid young fan ( an older one too!).......and we are all very happy.
That just capped off what was a fantastic night out in every regard.
Next year? Absolutely!
Thanks again Zelko and Rob, You guys are the best! :wink:

hagmeat

Reaction score
Hey John, no worries mate, it was a pleasure.
Special Thanks to Zelko for getting the tickets and volunteering
to drive so we were able to get off our chops.
Cheers. Rob

roughdiamond

Reaction score
Zelja said:
roughdiamond said:

You lads a braver than me if they were the red label ones :lol: ...the green label pale ale still goes down well should the oppurtunity arise. Glad to hear the Annandale is still rockin' though. This thread is really making me feel how many years I've left on this planet :shock: Saw You am I's first ever gig in Perth with my mates - their was barely 10 heads at the gig! Sure 'Sound as ever' wasn't even released (a standard Oz rock album for you kiddies) And yeah Buffalo Tom just on the back of their 'Let me come over' record was a real hoot live. Kept Bill's blue medium fender pick for a few years after that until it cracked (can't even remember how I got that) :roll: Funnily enough I took the mrs a few years ago to see Buffalo Tom again - shouted out 'play sunflower suit' and they just looked at each other nonchalantly sayin' no thanks. ahhhh the years................................................................................

@southerguild - you have a very sweet daddy's girl :D

thnx again for the memories....i think :lol:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great report all! It's nice to see the down under contingent carrying on the LTG meet-up tradition.

Oz is definitely on my bucket list, so I might make one of theses eventually.