Guild X175 B

Reaction score
I have a Guild X175B which I bought second hand from a guitar shop in Glasgow in 1973. The guitar is red and despite widespread searching of the internet, I have never come across another example of this model in red. The serial number on the inside of the body is 16917. Does anyone know whether Guild produced a limited edition of this guitar in red for the UK market?

I have a photo of the guitar but as this is my first visit to the forum, I am not sure how to add it to this message.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. I don't have an answer for you but someone will.

Short answer to posting pictures is to host them somewhere and link to them. Long answer is here.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
dougal.t said:
I have a Guild X175B which I bought second hand from a guitar shop in Glasgow in 1973. The guitar is red and despite widespread searching of the internet, I have never come across another example of this model in red. The serial number on the inside of the body is 16917. Does anyone know whether Guild produced a limited edition of this guitar in red for the UK market?

Hello dougal.t,

Welcome! Did a quick search in my database and found the batch of X-175s that your guitar was part of.
Four guitars of that batch, including your guitar, were completed in 'final assembly' on Thursday, August 31, 1961.
These instruments were all X-175Bs, which means they had a 'Blonde' finish. Your guitar was listed as an X-175B in the ledgers and I understand that that's on the label as well. If the guitar had left the factory with another finish than 'Blonde' it would have been listed with a different model designation. That probably means that your guitar was refinished some time in between the above mentioned date and 1973. Would love to see the guitar though!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just received the photo from dougal.t

Here it is:

X175B_red.jpg

That's a great looking guitar!

Question for dougal.t :

Do I see some red overspray on the label? Or is that just the quality of the photo?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
There is no red colour inside the guitar body, just the bare wood. Hans Moust has been very helpful in dating my guitar's date of production to 31st August, 1961.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
What a tasty looking guitar! That red surely works.
MD