A day that will live in infamy....

CA-35

Reaction score
December 7th, 1941, 71 years ago today. 2,335 American servicemen and 68 civilians lost their lives that day. 1,178 were wounded. Of the casualties, 1,104 men aboard the Battleship USS Arizona perished.

Of the 26 American vessels sunk or damaged that day all but 2, the USS Arizona (BB-39) and the USS Oklahoma (BB-37), were righted, repaired, and back in service within 6 months. On the other hand, all 6 of the Japanese Imperial Navy's carrier strike force involved in the attack (Akagi, Kaga, S?ry?, Hiry?, Sh?kaku, and Zuikaku) were sunk by the war's end.

Attack-pearl-harbor.jpg

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
A salute to all the heroes of D Day.

A few years ago I was at Battleship Cove in Fall River, Ma. They have a landing craft of the type used at D Day. When you climb in and look toward the ramp, they have a photo from that day of soldiers exiting toward the beach taken from the exact perspective of where you're standing. The definition of courage, it made my heart jump into my throat.

CA-35

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
In a similar vein, there was a photo in the morning paper of a WWII old-timer wearing a cap with CA-35 on it, so I thought of you, Scott. :wink:

Joe

Not too many people wear that hat Joe, my guess is that he might be a survivor.
Thanks for the sharp eye Joe, you dont miss the details!

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
I seem to remember Dan Crary (I think) telling a story about a Martin D-18 going down with the Arizona. It supposedly was recovered decades later and returned to the heirs of the owner. They sent it to the factory where it got a full restoration. It was said to have had a very somber tone.

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
12 string said:
I seem to remember Dan Crary (I think) telling a story about a Martin D-18 going down with the Arizona. It supposedly was recovered decades later and returned to the heirs of the owner. They sent it to the factory where it got a full restoration. It was said to have had a very somber tone.
Thats a cool story. There should be a doco about that one. Very interesting.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Visiting Pearl is one of the most memorable events you can have. And they now have the Missouri right next to the Arizona. You can go aboard the Mighty Mo and take a little tour. You can also go into a WWII submarine.