Leonard Cohen & Guild

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! The guy playing the Guild is Javier Mas.

3d78ff4f45908ae4170cacde388a.jpg

Ralf

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Ross said:
Lennie's on his knees in the photo (maybe he's singing "Light as the Breeze"?? :wink:
Chances are pretty good. :wink:

"So I knelt there at the delta,
At the alpha and the omega,
I knelt there like one who believes.
And the blessings come from heaven
And for something like a second
I'm cured and my heart
Is at ease"

Did you manage to see him Ross? His concerts are fantastic. I sure hope he comes this way again.

idealassets

Reaction score
Mas sounds like an interesting guy (and a versatile player
Definately, I am looking for a video of what he can do on the Guild F212 guitar. I have found many of him soloing on mandola, etc.

Craig

southernGuild

Reaction score
Javier Mas.....Yes, I remember him. He appeared with Leonard Cohen here in 2009.....A fantastic and amazing musician. He added so much to the whole show. I was so impressed with his musicianship......his love of the instruments just 'comes out', you can hear it!
Just fantastic.

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
southernGuild said:
Did you manage to see him Ross? His concerts are fantastic. I sure hope he comes this way again.

No, I didn't. Not this time, at least.
I remember the first time that I saw him, at a coffee house in Montreal, about 1970. LC shared a bill with Jesse Winchester. I liked Jesse better :lol:

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wasn't that a great time to be in Montreal Ross?! I was there around 68/69. Music scene was great, the girls were lovely...and it was a more innocent time in the vworld. I would see Jesse whenever I could. He was great. Steffan

southernGuild

Reaction score
Ross said:
I remember the first time that I saw him, at a coffee house in Montreal, about 1970. LC shared a bill with Jesse Winchester. I liked Jesse better :lol:
Wow. A memory like that is a pretty good one to have and hold. Winchester would have been cool to see, Great songwriter. Seeing L.C playing in a coffee house.....Wow.
Sounds like a wonderful time musically there. Glad you were 'there' to take it in.

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Those were indeed great days, Steffan & John. For the price of a beer or two, and maybe a modest cover, you'd be treated to an evening of first-rate entertainment.

The venues would put together these amazing combinations of artists, often featuring a "name" act with one or two local openers. Many of the latter went on to fame. I remember one show, at the New Penelope (or maybe the Yellow Door). The headliner was an electric band, perhaps the Staccatos (memory's hazy here). The opening act was Jesse Winchester, and the second act was Robert Charlebois & Louise Forestier. All went on to have long careers in music. :D

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Detective Ralf finds out again. I didn't know about Javier. How long has he been in the band? He gets the oud sound that Belzikian got, but he gets even more. Does anybody know what kind of strings he uses?

littlesongs

Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
Nice! The guy playing the Guild is Javier Mas.

3d78ff4f45908ae4170cacde388a.jpg

Ralf
A timeless smart looking black hat is one of the surest signs of membership in the very top tier of Guild players. Kim Thayil has one. John Denver had one briefly, but it blew away on a hike in the mountains. Joe Pug has one and lets his friends wear it. Tom Waits has one too.

Ross said:
Those were indeed great days, Steffan & John. For the price of a beer or two, and maybe a modest cover, you'd be treated to an evening of first-rate entertainment.
The venues would put together these amazing combinations of artists.... the second act was Robert Charlebois & Louise Forestier. All went on to have long careers in music. :D
Great memories! In all likelihood, and perhaps ironically, the best exposure "Lindberg" had in the U.S. market was a weekly show called Hit Heard Round the World. It was produced by the U.S. Army, pressed on vinyl and sent out to radio stations all over the country.