Top 5 acoustic guitar solos

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've never been much of a Gilmour or Howe fan. Hard to just come up with five, but if it's limited to rock, I'd opt for the acoustic solo on Buffalo Springfield's "Bluebird." I think it was Stills, but not sure. Anyhow, I'd pick that over either of the other two.
Brad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K6BmZ_Mxcg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I find the distinction "acoustic guitar solo" somewhat confusing and unsatisfying and the examples seem to be "acoustic taking the role of an electric in a rock setting". I'd certainly offer up a lot of traditional jazz as examples of fine solo guitar playing that does not require amplification or a particular "tone" to sound good and be intriguing. There's also a lot of good playing in classical and flamenco settings. Finally when you say "acoustic guitar" and ask me to pick something I'd like to listen to, I'd probably end up with Jorma Kaukonen. Like so many "best of" or "top" listings, it says at least as much about the compiler's experience and prejudices as it does about some kind of absolute, objective measurement.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
I find the distinction "acoustic guitar solo" somewhat confusing and unsatisfying and the examples seem to be "acoustic taking the role of an electric in a rock setting".
I agree. The only one of the original list that I would think of as an acoustic acoustic solo is the Beatles. I qualified my original post with "rock" solos, but if I expanded to other genres, I'd be hard pressed to think of a rock acoustic solo I would put in my top ten, let alone top five. Of course, my top five would probably change regularly, depending on my moods.
Brad

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's a weird list. I love Steve Howe, but the Clap is not a "solo", it's a totally acoustic solo song, with no other instruments. If those are included, its a much wider "net" to choose from.

walrus

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Brad Little said:
I'd opt for the acoustic solo on Buffalo Springfield's "Bluebird." I think it was Stills

BIG +1

Yes, it was Stephen Arthur Stills on one of his many Martins. That was one of the first acoustic guitar solos mixed big and at the front of the mix, and the song that got me started with acoustic guitars.

Or as the credits for Bluebird read from Buffalo Springfield Again: "GUITARS - Steve, Neil & Richie - all 11,386 of 'em"

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd have to nominate SRV on a Guild F-412 doing "Pride & Joy."

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ralph Towner plays Guild 12's, but he ain't exactly rock and I couldn't pick afavotite soslo.
Maybe soemthing from Oregon..."Icarus"?
Then there's Coryell and McLaughlin: "Spaces". :wink:

CA-35

Reaction score
That's a weak list. I can think of 5 acoustics on this one album that I'd rather hear.

49d290b809a0b25cbc765110.L.jpg

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, we all know what opinions are like, but my favorite is John McLaughlin's soaring nylon string guitar solo here, on what might be my favorite (and much maligned) JT album. 8)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Most anything acoustic John McLaughlin does should be on this list!

walrus

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's just not a list, in all reality, where there could be a single pick for #1, #2 etc.... each position on the scale of 1 through 5 would have it's own long list of picks.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
rampside said:
That's just not a list, in all reality, where there could be a single pick for #1, #2 etc.... each position on the scale of 1 through 5 would have it's own long list of picks.
Yep.
Just like there ain't no #1 alltime best guitarist, just "the Guys at the Top--which school didja have in mind, and do they still have to be alive?"
:wink:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In my view, to have a "guitar solo" you need to have a song , with words, and then a change to show off some solo work, as a counter point. As much as I like Chet and Tommy stuff, the whole THING is a solo guitar, so it really is an "instrumental" not a solo.

I sort of consider this whole song an acoustic solo, since it was a full band song, as originally written.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwGQKuUeQC8

I like this one for the solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrOqhQvDC4

Yeah. My musical tastes are starting to show.