Songs to learn?...

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

School is ending (finally!), and some spare time is coming, so Louise is going to receive the time that she deserves. Given that, I'm starting the search for some tunes to learn and I had an idea:

How about if you, fellow LTGers, suggest me your most loved song (hopefully not the most intricated one), to give it a try? Which song would you recommend? Why: what is the story of that particular song?

Have a happy holidays & Thanks in advance!

All the best,
B.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Brad, ya beat me to it! But thanks for posting the original writer of the song! I thought Kottke wrote that one, I learn something every day on this forum.

(By the way, my DeArmond Starfire Special is named "Louise.")

I play it in the gear of "G" but capoed up 3 frets, fits my vocal range better there. It's just G, A, C, and D and D7, with an Em and Am7 a couple times. Nice one to practice fingerpicking on, try using your thumb on the bass notes to walk up from from G to C and C to D. :D

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I could suggest a thousand songs but right now "Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground" is coming to mind. I'd love to hear my mandolin next to your DV-52 on that one :D

Maybe someday I will travel to Chile, or you will come North!

griehund

Reaction score
SouthernSounds said:
Hey Folks,

School is ending (finally!), and some spare time is coming, so Louise is going to receive the time that she deserves. Given that, I'm starting the search for some tunes to learn and I had an idea:

How about if you, fellow LTGers, suggest me your most loved song (hopefully not the most intricated one), to give it a try? Which song would you recommend? Why: what is the story of that particular song?

Have a happy holidays & Thanks in advance!

All the best,
B.

What kind of music do you usually play? My favorite song for a long has been Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) but I hardly ever play it cause the chords are boring and I haven't taken the time to do it justice. Other than that, my favorite song is the one I'm working on at the moment, whatever it may be. Right now it's Alfred King Born Under A Bad Sign. Whatever you choose, have fun. :)

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Brad Little said:
This is one that's on my list to learn, and thought it fitting considering your guitar's name:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAX3uuun_Ls
Brad
Thanks Brad: I like that song. I'll add it to my list!

dreadnut said:
It's just G, A, C, and D and D7, with an Em and Am7 a couple times. Nice one to practice fingerpicking on, try using your thumb on the bass notes to walk up from from G to C and C to D. :D
Thanks for the chords, Dread!

dreadnut said:
I could suggest a thousand songs but right now "Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground" is coming to mind.
I'll have it mind!

dreadnut said:
I'd love to hear my mandolin next to your DV-52 on that one. Maybe someday I will travel to Chile, or you will come North!
I'd love it too! Maybe we could arrange a meeting in somewhere half way. Whatcha think, Dread? :wink: :D

griehund said:
What kind of music do you usually play? My favorite song for a long has been Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) but I hardly ever play it cause the chords are boring and I haven't taken the time to do it justice. Other than that, my favorite song is the one I'm working on at the moment, whatever it may be. Right now it's Alfred King Born Under A Bad Sign. Whatever you choose, have fun.
Hey GH,

I mainly "try" to play Blues, but I've been trying to play whatever I hear. I'm learning fingerpicking. I'm hearing rag songs, jazz, country, bluegrass, folk. So if you ask me for something specific, I would answer: suggest me whatever you want. I want to play guitar and it implies I want to learn as much as I can. :D

Thank you, friends: thanks for your time and suggestions!

All the best,
B.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
dreadnut said:
....thanks for posting the original writer of the song! I thought Kottke wrote that one, I learn something every day on this forum.
I always forget that Kottke played it, for some reason I never cared much for his playing, not sure why. There's a good version by Bonnie Raitt as well as Emmylou Harris. I have a version I like on a Bluegrass LP, name of which escapes me right now, I'll have to dig it out.
Brad

griehund

Reaction score
SouthernSounds said:
Gentlemen,

Brad Little said:
This is one that's on my list to learn, and thought it fitting considering your guitar's name:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAX3uuun_Ls
Brad
Thanks Brad: I like that song. I'll add it to my list!

dreadnut said:
It's just G, A, C, and D and D7, with an Em and Am7 a couple times. Nice one to practice fingerpicking on, try using your thumb on the bass notes to walk up from from G to C and C to D. :D
Thanks for the chords, Dread!

dreadnut said:
I could suggest a thousand songs but right now "Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground" is coming to mind.
I'll have it mind!

dreadnut said:
I'd love to hear my mandolin next to your DV-52 on that one. Maybe someday I will travel to Chile, or you will come North!
I'd love it too! Maybe we could arrange a meeting in somewhere half way. Whatcha think, Dread? :wink: :D

griehund said:
What kind of music do you usually play? My favorite song for a long has been Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) but I hardly ever play it cause the chords are boring and I haven't taken the time to do it justice. Other than that, my favorite song is the one I'm working on at the moment, whatever it may be. Right now it's Alfred King Born Under A Bad Sign. Whatever you choose, have fun.
Hey GH,

I mainly "try" to play Blues, but I've been trying to play whatever I hear. I'm learning fingerpicking. I'm hearing rag songs, jazz, country, bluegrass, folk. So if you ask me for something specific, I would answer: suggest me whatever you want. I want to play guitar and it implies I want to learn as much as I can. :D

Thank you, friends: thanks for your time and suggestions!

All the best,
B.

Blues & finger picking = Freddie King. Plenty to choose from.