GAD serial numbers and manufacture dates

Reaction score
OK, so I'm new to Guilds. I just purchased a used GAD50 which is a wonderful instrument.
Thought I'd contact Guild/Fender and see when the guitar was built.
What I got was a condescending (flavored) email from a Customer Service rep. informing me that my serial number doesn't correspond with their records. Which is not unusual since the guitar was made in China. And they have no replacement parts lists for these guitars.
WHAT!
So, is there ANY source for determining manufacture dates for the GAD line of Guild guitars?

Help would be appreciated.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yes, there is. One of our members posted this (http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=340324#p340324), although I'm not sure if anyone confirmed it:

Here is what I found out about dating GAD series guitars

Dating GUILD GAD Instruments

Guild introduced the GAD instruments in January of 2004. The GAD serial numbers begin with GAD- followed by 5 digits. There are not separate prefixes for each model of guitar, and the serial numbers alone do not provide specific dating information for the instruments.

All GAD instruments are stamped with a 10 digit internal manufacturing number located in the soundhole, at the base of the heel block. This number embodies production information about the instrument. As an example, we’ll use a random number 1104330026.
The first two digits of this number identify the production year. In this case, 11 would stand for 2011.
The second two digits identify the production month. In this case, 04 would stand for April.
The next two digits, 33, are of no significance and are an internal number used by the vendor to identify their order number.
The last four digits identify the unit number of the order. In this case, 26 would stand for the 26th instrument made to the 33rd order.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
They do for me, Ralf...? In any case, we'll have to deal wtih that when we move to the new host.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They do for me, Ralf...?
I have a feeling that is because you are a "Super Moderator"! I come to the "Request new PW" page only and I am stopped there. Even using the old login there it shows only: " This board is currently disabled." I wonder how that is for others?
Ralf

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I believe Frono found this same thing when he thought we could go back and get our old avatars. Only Super Moderators can get back into the old site.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's the same for me, Ralf. The link goes to the login page and stops there and if you try to log in you get the "disabled" message. If someone knew how to search for the thread about dating GAD's and link it to this new BB, then it would probably help. But I've had trouble searching.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I didn't know that. When I have the time, I'll try to search the new forum for a good link. In any case, I pasted all the relevant text into the post.

FYI, I still get the board disabled messages.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
FYI, I still get the board disabled messages.
Now I got curious....I tried again, but when I log in the old board any link there (or search, or profile) does not work anymore, I tried every possible link on the old board, no results at all. It's really your new "Super Powers" that allows this to you but not us members.
Ralf

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
:) well, I'll surely repair that link later when I can get the time to find the thread in the new software.

Up, up, and AWAY! :)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's really your new "Super Powers" that allows this to you but not us members.
Ralf

Actually I think it is our old super powers, if only because passwords are not necessarily the same between the two and there is no reason for the old board to know of our new status.