Pilot body

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a Pilot body. Im trying to rebuild my 1984/83 SB 602 with full pick guard. I just realized I have no idea if this body is a Guild or a DeArmond. I know nothing about wood. Are there any identifiers in the wood used for the DeArmond and Guild. The only thing I hope it's a Guild for two reasons. One that when it arrived at my house it looked like it had not been taken care of for the past 30 years. Two because I want it to be a Guild...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
No idea but welcome. Pictures?

Any idea of "condition"? If it were a factory second kind of thing I'd guess Guild because no oceans were involved to get the body to you, but all bets are off it is a previous project that started with disassembling an existing bass.

Just because, below is my favorite Frankenbass with Guild parts.

jackcasadyGuildVbass.jpg

My recollection is Leo Quan (of BadA$$ bridge fame) built it from a 60's JetStar neck, a body of his own devising and a couple Hagstrom Bisonics that Jack Casady had stashed away. You don't really try and play it sitting down :)

Reaction score
The body was beaten badly by the previous owner. After I sanded the rest of the paint off the body material was in good shape except where the jack input is. I thought it maybe a DeArmond because the jack is not on the face of the body. Then I looked at pictures of the Guilds and not all inputs we're on the face so I have no idea as well.
I'll post some pics after the clear is finished. I've only got one coat on it now. But there were no markings on to identify it. I'm gonna go with Guild because the material was not damaged and because the shape the original paint and clear was in when it got here.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No idea but welcome. Pictures?

Any idea of "condition"? If it were a factory second kind of thing I'd guess Guild because no oceans were involved to get the body to you, but all bets are off it is a previous project that started with disassembling an existing bass.

Just because, below is my favorite Frankenbass with Guild parts.

jackcasadyGuildVbass.jpg

My recollection is Leo Quan (of BadA$$ bridge fame) built it from a 60's JetStar neck, a body of his own devising and a couple Hagstrom Bisonics that Jack Casady had stashed away. You don't really try and play it sitting down :)

does Jack Casady still own this bass? that thing rules

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
does Jack Casady still own this bass? that thing rules

My memory is that mgod has played it and reported that it is a pain to try and play seated. I think that means the Casady still has it, but you never know. If I remember, a Google search with site:www.letstalkguild.com will probably find the sources for everything I believe about that bass :)