S300/S60/S65/S70 enthusistasts out there?

Nyqusit5

Reaction score
Ok so everybody likes the S100 and S90. But what about the ugly ducklings of the family? I know of two other enthusiastic collectors up there in north of France.

More info about that range on my website in the "Guitars" section.

guildfamily1.jpg

Thunderface

Reaction score
The "bell-bottom" S-60, S-65, S-70 and S-300 are hardly the "ugly ducklings" of the solidbody family. A lot of us have either owned one or two, or want to. I've had S-300s with both HB-1s and DiMarzios, and although I sold them both (one to LTGer Plague) because I fell hard for the S-100, they were still great guitars.

IMG_8836.jpg

If I happened upon a sunburst S-70, I'd be very tempted to pick it up again.

Nyqusit5

Reaction score
I know many of us here like them: the S300s and the S60 in the picture are mine! And they are my main gigging guitars these days. Nevertheless, most guitarists find them ugly or unusual at best :(. Hey, you sold yours for an S100! :wink:

That AD in your picture has a great sunburst and wood grain...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
My first love is the S300. I've owned three - all Ash:

_B0Z6438_800.jpg

I also had an S60D.

Here's a pic of my S300A-D from the early 80s:

_B0Z7671_800.jpg

Thunderface

Reaction score
Nyqusit5 said:
That AD in your picture has a great sunburst and wood grain...

That was my first Guild, and the '77 S-300 was my second, a week later. I hated to sell the S300A-D, but I have too many guitars (...what does that mean, too many guitars? ...) and I just couldn't bear parting with the "Class of '73."

Csquare4

Reaction score
Nyqusit5 said:
Ok so everybody likes the S100 and S90. But what about the ugly ducklings of the family? I know of two other enthusiastic collectors up there in north of France.

More info about that range on my website in the "Guitars" section.

guildfamily1.jpg

I have an S-60D, which is a fun guitar to play. It is almost identical to the one you have pictured. I need to take some photos of mine. With the single coils, I have a hard time dialing in my amps since I usually play HB-1's (S-100/M-75), so every time I break out the S-60 I tend to have to always tweak the amps to find a good tone instead of just playing. Even so, it is still a great guitar to play. The neck is fast and the bends are smooth. With a tube screamer it sounds wonderful through one of my home built amps that is based loosely on a tweed Super. My only complaint is the location of the pickup switch. It is so far away, I can never find it while I am playing. I have seen some models have it up where the volume knob is, with the two tone pots in the bottom "stacked". I keep thinking next time I pull the pick guard, I will re-wire mine.

But more importantly, what a great website you have! Full of wonderful information and insight. Thanks for sharing!

Craig

Nyqusit5

Reaction score
Thanks Craig, glad you enjoy the website!

You are right, the S60D is a totally different beast with its single coil tone. I am not too bothered by the pick-up switch position but neck the pick-up position is too close to the bridge for optimum tone (that's the 24 frets downside) and the bridge pick-up needs to be set as close as possible to the strings for a good balance. Other than that, the playabililty is tops, as with all the guitars from the S range.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Salut Frenchy!
Un Lillois sur LTG ben ca alors...... :shock:
Anyway, since I missed the official welcome: Bienvenue a bord! :D
Can't speak for the S's in your post tilte, but I'm sure they're good guitars: They're Guilds! 8)

Nyqusit5

Reaction score
Thanks bluesypicky, not my first post here but I am happy to be welcomed again anyway :wink:

ant_riv, are these black S1 original or did you retrofit them? I have only seen cream ones in the S60D. :?:

ant_riv

Reaction score
nyqusit5,
The black covers are not original. The original covers are cream. Like you, I have only seen cream covers on Guilds with SDS-1s. Dimarzio did sell SDS-1s with black covers many years ago, but I never saw them on a Guild.

I like the look of the black covers better on this guitar.

I also have set of SDS-1s in a strat. Great pickups! Very P-90ish.

Reaction score
I played the one with a strat pickup configuration for years - S-70D? Can't remember the model name exactly but it was a great guitar. Beefy neck and with a tone somewhat like a strat but much bassier and more saturated. Ash Bowie from Polvo bought it form me when I sold off a bunch of gear before moving to the West Coast. Sometimes wish I still had it but I play mostly acoustic these days...

Reaction score
HI. I'm a new member and a proud S300 owner. When I bought it, it was old-refrigerator off-white and I stripped it and did a mahogany sunburst. I used to have a S60-D but I sold it a few years ago and bought a Starfire IV instead. Of course I still miss it. I don't think there is a better neck out there than on this series and I love having good access to all 24 frets. I'm a pretty strong Guild fan - I also have a D-50 which replaced the D-45 that was stolen on tour in Sicily. Rounding out the set is a Fender Shenandoah 12-string that replaced my Guild F-212 (which sadly exploded one day), a classic Harmony H-75 and an old but sweet Kimbara LP copy I've had since '74.

And I want MORE!! I was just looking at an old Starfire XII and lusting after it.

I guess what I love about the S300, aside from the neck, is that I can play it all night without getting a sore shoulder. It's light but it still has pretty good sustain.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guess I should resurrect this thread - I'm loving my S-60!

walrus

DrumBob

Reaction score
When I worked for Guild, we could hardly give those guitars away, so my opinion is very much clouded by memories of calling dealers to try and blow out factory overstocks at 50+15% on all the S models, and having the dealers blow me off, because they couldn't sell them. I wouldn't own one of those guitars if you paid me. Sorry.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
When I worked for Guild, we could hardly give those guitars away, so my opinion is very much clouded by memories of calling dealers to try and blow out factory overstocks at 50+15% on all the S models, and having the dealers blow me off, because they couldn't sell them. I wouldn't own one of those guitars if you paid me. Sorry.

No offense taken - an interesting story!

The S-60's "uniqueness" and "lack of love" may be precisely why I like it!

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

You're depriving yourself of a killer guitar because of the fickle '80s guitar market. I can totally see how they're tied to bad memories, though.