Is this a solid spruce top or a laminate/spruce

AoxoA

Reaction score
Hi, I think this might be a laminate with spruce veneer but it does appear to have some grain-like lines going down the soundhole. I am new to guitars. Hopefully some experienced members here can weigh in. Thanks.

25zrmz8.jpg

33vp8o9.jpg

et9obr.jpg

axikw1.jpg

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't see any obvious signs that it is a laminate (at least not super obvious layering). What guitar is it? I don't know of any Guild acoustics with laminated tops (AFAIK, even the MIC models were solid tops).

Chris is correct... their were acoustic archtops with laminated tops... but not flat tops, TMK.

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Solid. You can see the grain lines running down the top continuing into the soundhole. AFAIK, there are no Guild flattops with a laminated top, US or import. Archtop s, yes; flattops, no.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I'm going to be the lone dissenter here and say that this looks like a laminated top to me. I'm assuming, if so, this is not a Guild guitar we're looking at. I say that b/c you can see pretty clear grain lines on both the top and bottom of the cross-section that stop right around the end of the round-over and the whole middle appears a completely different grain structure to my eyes. I particular, the 3rd photo seems to show some grain running tangent to the cut in a spot that would make the center laminate perpendicular to the others, grain-wise, which is as expected -- it also doesn't really look like spruce to me.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i agree, i think this is a lammie. and not a guild as far as i can tell. welcome to the LTg!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Because of the angle of the circle, you will get different grain effects depending on which part of the circle you look at. If you look at the very first pic, at the grain lines running from the center part of the fingerboard, you can see them clearly continuing down the edge of the soundhole.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome! I hit your site - cool stuff.

I'm thinking laminate too, but post a pic of the label, or tell us what it is and we'll be able to tell you with more certainty. It it's a Madeira "by Guild", we can tell you more about it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be the lone dissenter here and say that this looks like a laminated top to me. I'm assuming, if so, this is not a Guild guitar we're looking at. I say that b/c you can see pretty clear grain lines on both the top and bottom of the cross-section that stop right around the end of the round-over and the whole middle appears a completely different grain structure to my eyes. I particular, the 3rd photo seems to show some grain running tangent to the cut in a spot that would make the center laminate perpendicular to the others, grain-wise, which is as expected -- it also doesn't really look like spruce to me.

After looking at 'em all several times, actually I agree.
That cross grain appearance of the center layer is actually also evident at the right-hand edge of the 4th pic.
I think what others see as continuation of the grain is an artifact of the angle of soundhole's circumference and the true grain of the center layer is visible when it's perpendicluar to the top grain as you explain.
Still, tough call without having the real article in hand with a magnifying glass.

Welcome aboard AoxoA!

What caused you to ask about that guitar in particular, is it being represented as a Guild?
We've seen plenty of counterfeits here but usually they're identifiable by more obvious errors like headstock or neckheel shape, or pickguard or soundhole label, and usually at least a couple of those flaws being present in an example.
And like everybody else, I don't think Guild ever made an acoustic flat-top with a laminated top.
Backs and sides yes, but tops, never.

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think what you guys are looking at around the soundhole is wood binding. One of my guitars had an ivoroid ring around the soundhole; this appears to be wood.

I'm not at all sure, but that's what it looks like to me.

AoxoA

Reaction score
I don't see any obvious signs that it is a laminate (at least not super obvious layering). What guitar is it?

It is not a proper Guild. It is an A-30M Madeira by Guild (oval label). I initially left that info out because I wanted to hear clean opinions without that influence.

I have seen a Madeira catalog that says, "Natural spruce top" with "Maple sides and back" and of course Internet ramblings saying it's solid, it's laminate, it's semi-solid, etc...

frenchie

Reaction score
100 per cent sure that that is a laminate top.
If solid the grain lines of the top would go straight through the top at both the neck and bridge ends of the sound hole. Here this is not the case.

Steve.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree that it's laminate. VERY thin top and bottom layer with a sandwich of something..... I could be wrong but I've never seen the edge of solid spruce (or cedar either) look like that. I wonder how we get a final answer without ruining this guys guitar??? LOL!! Welcome to the forum!! :stupid:

bobouz

Reaction score
Looks just like the laminate construction I've seen on many cheapo imports.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My vote is laminate. For all the reasons you folks have already given.

AoxoA

Reaction score
Some more pics. With this set, I believe the seams are visible. Would they laminate the veneer over a cheaper solid wood like popular--it sure doesn't look like sawdust and glue.

30mmw0m.jpg

n2fx29.jpg

2nqy5fr.jpg

2nq4pjl.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Definitely laminate. If you can't see it in 1, 2, and 3, you can definitely see it in 4!! And I'm not sure the middle "sandwich" is even solid wood, but possibly a composite or pressed wood product. That is my opinion, and we all know what that's worth!! :encouragement:

AoxoA, are you having fun yet? Do let us know what type of guitar this is......

AoxoA

Reaction score
Definitely laminate. If you can't see it in 1, 2, and 3, you can definitely see it in 4!! And I'm not sure the middle "sandwich" is even solid wood, but possibly a composite or pressed wood product. That is my opinion, and we all know what that's worth!! :encouragement:

AoxoA, are you having fun yet? Do let us know what type of guitar this is......

As a new member my replies were still moderated. I told the guitar type but that post got put in the middle of the thread just now.

The guitar is an A-30M Madeira by Guild. Could the inner ply be an inexpensive wood veneer like poplar or soft maple?

Last edited: