Peter Green Update For Darryl

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sorry mate, forgot all about this last weekend. After his solo album in 1970, P.G. sort of shuffled back in 1979 and released 8 albums (including at least one compilation ) up until 1990. Nothing fabulous amongst this lot, in fact P.G. is reported as having pushed other guitarists up front while twiddling around in the background. And then, joy of joys, he's back in 1996 with The Splinter Group, and at least partially rehabilitated. Since then 8 (I think) new albums have been released. Not epic stuff, but most pleasant. Hot Foot Powder, a collection of Robert Johnson updates, is pretty nice. Evidently, Nigel Watson, an erstwhile conga player who's morphed into a guitar slinger (literally) took P.G. in and got him into playing shape again. It has been said by a number of critics that Mr Watson is riding on the coat-tails of P.G.'s legendary status, and that may have some validity: latest (sketchy) news is that P.G. has a writ out against Watson concerning the use of violence towards him. So where P.G. is "at", at the moment, I don't know. Interestingly, he continued taking his (unnecessary) medication for all those years "because nobody told him to stop". and he improved vastly after stopping. There is a biography - Peter Green. Sanctuary 1-86074-507-5 and a worthwhile Splinter Group DVD - An Evening With PGSG In Concert, Eagle Vision 2564612092 (Spot the Guild !!)

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
C Note,

The last I heard by PG was in about '86. I bought a few of his recent albums and was saddened by his decline. He could get things started, but he couldn't develp them, like he'd get a good notion, but lost the train of thought.

So I'm glad to hear that he's made a real comeback, and more importantly that he has made a personal comeback. A lot of the greats have a lot of years when they are off their game. But their lives usually aren't derailed like PGs was.

What was his diagnosis? And what medicine was he on?

I looked up that book you mentioned. it says the forward is by BB King! And I have to include this bit of typicality from a hostile reviewer: "Reading this book was hard work,and pretty irritating to get through. It is written by an Englishman and is strictly for English audiences. Practically every page contains slang, colloquialisms and references to people, places, and things that have no meaning to Americans at all."

I think that was written by Cheney's hunting instructor.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl, sorry mate but this pisses me off. Why do some ####in Americans think that everything out there is for their ####in gratification ????? #### them !!!!!!!!!

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't recall reading about a "diagnosis", nor what the medication was, but the tenor of the narrative did convey the impression of a pretty half-arsed psychiatric system in that period. It does seem that P.G. was incarcerated quite unnecessarily and "treated" poorly - including electro-shock "treatment". If you do spring for the bio. I really don't think you'll find it all that difficult to read. The klutz to whom you refer must have an IQ of about 3 1/2.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coastie,

Yes, I guess it's really more tragic than funny. There's a long answer to your question. This attitude that I was poking fun at is very common in America. And if I may hazard to sum up 400 years of history and 400 million books, there really is a DIRECT link between this guy's attitude and just about everything wrong with Americaca, including the Iraq war. (I like how Hans responds to the term "pre-war Martin." He asks, "Which war?".)

But what's really absurd (I try to think it's funny, but it results in so much misery) is that this attitude is usually a central belief of the smart people in Amerika. You find it in journalists, professors, lawyers, and especially politicians. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody not only in the Bush menstru..., er, uh, administration, but also in Cong grass who doesn't believe it--including women and minorities

Now if somebody wants to challenge me on this, I can give you a reading list five miles long that complains about this streak of delusional arrogance. And on that list are not just whacky academics etc. but solid conservatives such as Garry Wills and Kevin Phillips. (And by the way, Wm F. Buckley, the father of contemporary US conservatism, says the US has lost in Iraq.) I'd like to add a book of my own: The Importance of Stupidity in American Life.

So my apologies for upsetting folks. I do, indeed, have a strange and sometimes tasteless sense of humor.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Whoo !!!!!!! That's a relief. Thought I may have stated the case a bit too strongly for some. Which no doubt I have, just haven't caught the flak. Honest, there's a great deal to thank the U.S. for - Donald Duck, Mad Magazine, Catch-22 and Guild Guitars, to name just a few.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ok, even though this is a GUILD forum and not the place, I've taken all the America bashing I can stand without speaking up.

Coastie, for starters, you being Austaralian I think, can thank America for your freedom....a little matter of a thing called WWII! Otherwise, you'd be drinking saki and eating rice 3 meals.

Darryl, If you don't like it here, then get out. Move back to wherever it is that you lived in Europe. I'm sure Hillary, Bill, Al and Mr. Kerry could fix everything including building Guild guitars again in Westerly...an American city I might ad.

And also Darryl, God is spelled with a capitol G!

West

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should minimize the political discussion. I don't want to stifle free speech, but I don't want hostility to break out. If anybody wants to backchannel me, that would be great. But imho, there is a reason why a lot of forums minimize political and religious discussions.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Free speech is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Imagine not having it and how many people died for it. However, this simply isn't the place. I think most people come here to discuss the best made guitars in the world, not get into other people hearts and souls.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Darryl,

It is interesting after having read you refer to my country as "Americaca" and otherwise bashing my country, that the first time anyone has offered an opposing view, they are "stifling free speech". Do I have the right to an opinion? Most liberals are that way when confronted.

Aren't Guilds great guitars?

West

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
West,

My apologies, West. I didn't mean YOU were curtailing free speech. I meant that I didn't want to curtail yours by suggesting we minimize the politics.

West, I am not a liberal or conservative or Dem or Republican or anything. I don't belong to any parties, and I don't know of any parties that would have me. Believe me, I stick my neck out by criticizing liberalism in places where it is virtually worshipped. That's why I cited Wills and Phillips, two brilliant conservatives. It's also why I tell fundamentalists that if somebody attacks fundamentalism, tell them two words: Flannery O'Connor. She was one of the greatest writers of all time, and she was a fundamentalist who believed in the Biblical miracles.

I notice that you joined on my brother's birthday. I take such coincidences as a positive sign that we are brothers in some ways. I think we would have more in common than you might think.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Darryl,

We obviously have one thing in common. Great guitars.

Excuse me for getting a little emotional. My son-in-law has just returned from a tour with the Marine Corps in Falusia, Iraq. He has some very moving memories, and was kind enough to share much of his experiences with me. I'm sure we would also agree that war is a very horrible and sad endeavor, although sometimes neccesary.

Best wishes,
West

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guy.

I'm sure glad your son-in-law got back. I just had a friend come back from there. 56 years old. He did 3 tours in Nam, then did 20 years, retired, started another career, and got called back up. Now I know a young guy who is going, a banjo playing buddy. When we went in, I was reluctantly in favor, and my conservative friends were steamed that I was reluctant, and my liberal friends were steamed that I was in favor. Now i think it was a mistake, and the conservatives are steamed (except for Buckley). But I'm not in favor of pulling out, so the liberals are steamed.

I was never in the service. I just can't imagine what people go through.

My dad was in the Aleutians in WW2. They had the second worst casualties in the Pacific. He came back with a 60% disability.

Recently, I located a couple of guys who were in my uncle's B17 crew in WW2. One of them sent a photo of my uncle, the crew, and the plane. My uncle completed 50 missions and got the DFC. In one mission alone, the Americans lost 14 of 26 bombers.

My other uncle was on the Missouri in Korea and came back severely disabled from a brain injury. As a kid, I built a model of the Mighty Mo, and I went to tour it the first day it was opened to the public about 5 years ago in Hawaii. It sits close to the AZ. There's also a WW2 sub you can go into. I just can not for the life of me begin to imagine what hell it must have been and how anybody could stand it.

Then we had to sweat out my brother's tour in Nam. Of all the guys I knew who went, only one was killed. i traced his name on the wall in DC and tried to find his family but couldn't.

I have no idea where such courage comes from.

Well, I'm babbling. Back to work.

But here's something we agree on: I think a D25 is the best buy in any kind of dread, and a DV52 is the best buy in any rosewood dread.

dh

PS I don't like JF 30 12s, though. HA!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:wink: Well I'll tell ya, I wasn't in the service either. However, my dad was a carrier pilot in WWII...Pacific theater. I was so touched while I was living in Malaysia at these people in their 70's and 80's who just adored Americans. It took a little while to catch on, but apparently, the Japanese occupation there was pretty brutal. This little old lady served us dinner one night, she was Indian actually (raised in Kuala Lumpur) and she just gawked at us all night. She spoke no English, but through an interpreter, I discovered that she experienced the occupation there and would always be grateful to Americans for her liberation. It was the most humbling experience for me. I did nothing to earn her admoration.

Aaron, who just returned from Iraq, is 24 and an accomplished guitarist. I just get so tickled when he plays my Guilds. Like so many young guys, he'd never heard of Guild and had played many fine guitars. He will tell you that none of them compare. He'd love to have a Westerly D-25 and is looking. He has other priorities now and not much money, so I suppose he can just play mine any time he wants. But when I die, I know where mine are going!

West

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi West. American bashing ? I don't think so, but your opinion is as valid as mine. Two things however, that Kiwi's loathe. 1) Foreigners (and American's seem to be particularly at fault here) who think that NZ is part of Australia,WHICH IT BLOODY WELL IS NOT !! 2) That old chestnut, viz "You should be so grateful to us for winning the war for you" etc etc. I'm going to stop right there mate, because I REALLY will upset you. I'm having a Heineken right now, and I'll have another for all the good Yanks out there. And that of course is the overwhelming majority of your population. Good health !

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West, I'm curious to know if, in your opinion, this war is necessary ? Personally, I think it probably is. It's just poorly choreographed. And now Iran ?? Jeez, I don't know. If God is really going to make an encore, just how bloody bad does it have to get before he does ?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coastie,

All I'm doing is stating a historical fact, and I can't help it if that upsets you. One thing guys from the Southern United States loathe is being called "Yanks"!

I do apologize having stated you were from Australia....I did qualify that with an "I think".

Cheers :)

Long live Westerly Guilds!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coastie,

I will answer this last question of yours on the subject, and then I'm going to let it lay. You did ask my opinion. I am a conservative....I assume you've gathered that. However, I do not take the "official" conservative line as to if Iraq was neccesary. I will probably be chactized by my conservative brothers for saying this. Are we there for the oil? Absolutely no, we're not there to steal it, we're there to make sure that the Persian Gulf remains open. Without it, the economy of the entire world will be in great peril. From that standpoint..........you're darn right we're there for the oil. I seriously doubt the U.S. would expend so much money, men and material simply to oust a brutal dictator. As for Iran, I'm sure if they are seen as a legitimate threat to the region, they will have to be dealt with too. The Iranians seem to be doing a little saber rattling of their own now, don't they? I don't like it, but that's the way I see it.

Darryl and I have decided to leave politics off the forum from now on, I think that's a great idea. We do all come here to discuss Guild guitars. I just take offense when my nation is constanly being disparaged. No less than you would if I were constantly bashing New Zealand or New Zealanders for that matter.

I did appreciate it when you admitted that some of us were good people. As far as this forum is concerned, one of the greatest thing to come out of the U.S. were these tremandous guitars called Guild.

West

dklsplace

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
But imho, there is a reason why a lot of forums minimize political and religious discussions.

Mainly because there are other forums specifically for these discussions & debates.

This forum came into being out of a love of one of the finest instrument makers in the world. We all have this in common or we wouldn't be here. I appreciate the fact that I've had to put little-to-no effort into policing & moderating these forums in 5 years. I also appreciate how easily this particular thread remained civil when others surely would have gone over the edge into flame wars. A testimony in itself that Guild enthusiasts really are a different sort. :wink:

Just a reminder to everyone to be aware of how easily simple text can be misinterpreted. Statistically, the actual words we use account for less than 10% of how we communicate, while body language & tone of voice make up the other 90+%. It's a given that we lose something in translation when we try to express feelings & emotions through text.

Thread derailing is also a given, & I enjoy reading through most of them. We learn a lot about each other this way. It also lends itself to the sense of comaraderie & that we are certainly a unique lot! However, please remember that this is the www & while only a few people may join in a discussion like this, it's not a small group. There are thousands of visitors & lurkers here each week, not to mention the growing number of regular members. It's much easier to maintain a level of civility up front than it is to play damage control. Use the private message &/or email features through the forum if you think your off topic opinioin could lead to nastiness!

Thanks for being here & for being part of what makes this a fun & easy place to hang out!

Sincerely,
Don