Please help identify my "Made in Spain" Guild

krispood

Reaction score
hello everyone,

I've been playing Guid guitars for over 30 years and enjoy reading this forum a lot. A couple years ago, I bought a Guid classical guitar model
3C, serial number 004491, made in Spain from a guy who didn't know much about it either. I have searched everywhere for information about
this guitar without success. Can anyone help me on this?

The guitar looks pretty new so I guess it must have been imported by Guild after they ceased production of the Mark I-VI series. THe top is
cedar, the back is rosewood and the sound is simply amazing. From
the serial numbers, Guild must have sold Thousands of them but I have
never seen any offered for sale on eBay.

Thank you for your help.

My guild collection (bangkok, Thailand)

'72 G37 Blonde (my first Acoustic)
? classical 3C
'96 X-170
'? Corona Starfire III (Se.no. CP000011)

krispood

Reaction score
hello everyone,

I've been playing Guid guitars for over 30 years and enjoy reading this forum a lot. A couple years ago, I bought a Guid classical guitar model
3C, serial number 004491, made in Spain from a guy who didn't know much about it either. I have searched everywhere for information about
this guitar without success. Can anyone help me on this?

The guitar looks pretty new so I guess it must have been imported by Guild after they ceased production of the Mark I-VI series. THe top is

Thank you for your help.

My guild collection (bangkok, Thailand)

'72 G37 Blonde (my first Acoustic)
? classical 3C
'96 X-170
'? Corona Starfire III (Se.no. CP000011)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Kris,

It's probably a Guild Madeira. I think they were made in Spain and marketed by Guild, but don't quote me on that. Some of these guys will know. Is it a classical body?

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Kris,

It's probably a Guild Madeira. I think they were made in Spain and marketed by Guild, but don't quote me on that. Some of these guys will know. Is it a classical body?

West

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
krispood said:
A couple years ago, I bought a Guid classical guitar model 3C, serial number 004491, made in Spain from a guy who didn't know much about it either. I have searched everywhere for information about this guitar without success. Can anyone help me on this?

Hello krispood,

It's not surprising that you haven't seen any for sale because there are not that many; with the Guild 'Made in Spain' label that is!

They were made by Alhambra in Spain and imported by Guild at the end of the '80s and beginning of the '90s. There were 6 different 'Guild' models and the 3C was the 'starter' one in the range. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is the fact that a model 3C should have mahogany back & sides. Maybe it's a mis-labeled guitar or your guitar does not have rosewood back & sides. The top should be cedar though!

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
krispood said:
A couple years ago, I bought a Guid classical guitar model 3C, serial number 004491, made in Spain from a guy who didn't know much about it either. I have searched everywhere for information about this guitar without success. Can anyone help me on this?

Hello krispood,

It's not surprising that you haven't seen any for sale because there are not that many; with the Guild 'Made in Spain' label that is!

They were made by Alhambra in Spain and imported by Guild at the end of the '80s and beginning of the '90s. There were 6 different 'Guild' models and the 3C was the 'starter' one in the range. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is the fact that a model 3C should have mahogany back & sides. Maybe it's a mis-labeled guitar or your guitar does not have rosewood back & sides. The top should be cedar though!

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Where were Madeiras built Hans?

West

With a name like that you would think in Spain, but as far as I know they were made in Japan.

Hans

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Where were Madeiras built Hans?

West

With a name like that you would think in Spain, but as far as I know they were made in Japan.

Hans

krispood

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct Han. I just took a closer look and the back does not have the grain or the smell of rosewood.
I was misled by the darker stain applied on the Guild VS mahogany
back on my Martin.
Thank you so much for solving the mystery.

krispood

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct Han. I just took a closer look and the back does not have the grain or the smell of rosewood.
I was misled by the darker stain applied on the Guild VS mahogany
back on my Martin.
Thank you so much for solving the mystery.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
No stone left unturned with you Mr. Moust. Thanks as always. BTW, had a thrill speaking with Carlo Greco the other day. We talked about his picture in your book and he mentioned Mr. Diaz. He was a little difficult for me to understand, but still a thrill.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
No stone left unturned with you Mr. Moust. Thanks as always. BTW, had a thrill speaking with Carlo Greco the other day. We talked about his picture in your book and he mentioned Mr. Diaz. He was a little difficult for me to understand, but still a thrill.

West