The DV-62 Review, as promised. [With Pics]

sunpowder

Reaction score
Those images of Drednut's DV-52 burst reminded me that I have been remiss in the review I had promised last month....

Guild DV-62 SB HG
A Review

Well I have played/lived with this guitar for several months now, and I thought a review might be in order. I will try to keep it short, [who am I kidding] as there has been so much said already about this particular Vintage line of dreads, there will be few surprises.

The search started over a year ago when I first bought “The Guitar of Kelly Joe Phelps” as an instructional tool. [It is great by the way, if you like open tuning fingerstyle stuff that is kind of folk-bluesy]
KELLY JOE PHELPS

KJP plays a burst DV-52 throughout that DVD and it sounds great, so that got me lusting after one. I had of course read all the great reviews of the 52 series over the years on the ole’ Fender/Guild forum, and always wanted to add one to my household. But, now I had the jones for a burst. Let me tell you, they are NOT easy to find. I saw a total of one on ebay in about a year and a half, and of course, I was away from home, and someone used the BIN for $900 and it was gone. I emailed the buyer after several months [maybe someone here?] and he said he was not going to part with it anytime soon…so no buyer’s remorse. I kept looking, and looking.

This past year I found a ’94 Sunburst DV-62 and decided to jump on it sight unseen [except for great photos which you can see later]. It was a consignment guitar, and I lobbed an offer into the dealer, and the seller agreed to my offer. It arrived and has simply blown me away everyday since.

Some details:
It is in EXC condition overall. Straight-edge test puts it right on top edge of bridge as it should. Burst is GORGEOUS!...On par with the best Collings/Bourgeois burst I have seen. Some small spots of bear-claw figure in the top add a very unique touch. Rosewood is absolutely top grade in appearance. Herringbone purfling and rosette is lovely [I don’t care for abalone at all]. After a couple of months of play, I had my luthier add a bone saddle and nut and do a set up specifically for my playing style. I also added new ebony pins, which I think look better than the white plastic ones it came with. The only thing I would change is the somewhat sticky gloss lacquer on the back of neck. I may try to tame that with some 0000 steel wool.

Sound:
It was a great sounding dread when it arrived. Now with the addition of the bone set up, it is even better. I highly recommend it for your Guilds. This is just the smoothest, gutsiest, most balanced dread I have ever owned, and really on par with anything I have played. Each guitar has its own personality, so I would not say it is better than others…But in a very unique way, that really hits me somewhere inside, this guitar’s tone does it for me like no other. I know that you have all read the gushing reviews of the DV series, but they hold true for me. These are special guitars in every way.

The bone set up gave the guitar a more solid ‘integrity’ of tone. I wouldn’t say it changed the tone very much, but it just got more solid and smooth. The trebles were a tad ‘thin’ when I played it with real force, and the bone has rectified that nicely. The guitar is wonderfully balanced, has a great, strong midrange personality, and that Guild Rosewood piano-type delivery. Not too much boom on the low end, just firm and present. Someone here mentioned the “metallic click” that most RW guitars seem to have in the trebles, and as he mentioned, that click is not present in the DV. Smooth, and strong across the board with great depth to the tone. Open G on this DV sounds like God singing in the shower.

One Final Note:
I am a singer-songwriter type of guy. I play mostly as accompaniment to my voice. This guitar is wonderfully full at low volumes, which I love, and is THE BEST guitar I have ever played with a capo. I know you real players might not use a capo much, but for me, it is used quite a bit. I use it a lot to change the key of a song to fit my range, or take it into a chord progression that is easier for me to play while singing. This guitar just loses nothing in tone when capoed. I have taken it up as high as the seventh fret and it just keeps giving out lush tone.

So overall, I could not be happier with my purchase. This is a great accompaniment instrument, and like all Guilds, is build to last. A tad heavy, yes, but I think that contributes greatly to its huge tone and sustain. It sounds great, plays great, and looks great; the trifecta!

Here is one teaser photo for you and a link to the complete slideshow.

Michael

DV-62 AB Slideshow

DV-62_top_4.jpg

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow. That is a good looking guitar. I want one. 8) 8)

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sunpowder,

You and Dred have just about ruined my week. I've been very happy with my DV 62 till I saw the Sunburst models. Now, well, I'm a bit envious, & it isn't helping knowing I'll probaby never see one for sale unless I pry it from your cold dead fingers.

Really pretty guitar.

sunpowder

Reaction score
You and Dred have just about ruined my week.

Jeff,
You know I didn't mean to do that to you. Your DV-62 was the first one I had seen [in pictures at least] otherwise I would not have known they even existed.

I am sure yours sounds as good as mine does...but you may someday find the sunburst match for yours and have a pair!

This is the first sunburst guitar I have owned and aside from having to wipe it down often to remove fingerprints, I LOVE the look of it.

I am curious as to how many 62s are out there. The serial numbering chart at Guild had the 52s and 62s together in 1993, so I can't tell how many 62s were built that year. Only 145 built in 94 and 1 built in 95.

Maybe Hans' second Guild book can shed some light on it when it comes out.

Any other DV-62 owners out there lurking??

sunpowder

Reaction score
Really nice Michael!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Thank you Hans, and thanks for your help via email when I had questions. Looking forward to the 2nd Edition.

Don't you own a DV62 also??

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hans,

You keep holding out on us, but I notice that so many times when someone mentions a guitar, you say something like......Yes, I've got one.....or, there's one in my shop......or, I used to have one.

You need to include your Guild guitars in your signature, then again, it would probably just upset me! :wink: :D

West

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Great review, sunpowder! I identified with all you said, especially about the use of your guitar to accompany your voice. I like the abalone, though! :wink: :)

sunpowder

Reaction score
Yup, I have one too! Now don't tell anyone!

Your secret is safe with me, Hans. I won't tell a soul.

I like the abalone, though!

Guildmark, that is why it's great that there are Guilds with every level of bling...because we each have different tastes. And, further, I am not saying that if I find the right F-50 or D-55 it wouldn't follow me home!!

plaidseason

Reaction score
Maybe one day Hans will open up a "Guild Lovers' Bed and Breakfast. It wouldn't take much really. Just a couple cots, some donuts on the stove, and of course his expansive collection of guitars. I'd pay to stay there.