JS I headstock - factory experiment or repair?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thread here about this JS I bass. The headstock logo is different and the question is whether it is a repair or whether it could be factory. Evidence suggesting factory includes at least one other example with a similar headstock treatment, "Van Ghent" tuners (which were used but are unusual) and a production date when Hoboken and Westerly were both operating. Anyone (especially Hans) have any comments or anything else to add?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Thread here about this JS I bass. The headstock logo is different and the question is whether it is a repair or whether it could be factory. Evidence suggesting factory includes at least one other example with a similar headstock treatment, "Van Ghent" tuners (which were used but are unusual) and a production date when Hoboken and Westerly were both operating. Anyone (especially Hans) have any comments or anything else to add?

Hello fronobulax,

It is original! This bass is from 1971, already past the period that there were 2 Guild plants producing Guild guitars at the same time. You will see the peghead with rosewood overlay and the gold logo on a lot of instruments from this particular period. The JS-1 had this style headstock, while the JS-2 had the Chesterfield inlay; same situation as with the S-50 and the S-100. Earlier JS-1s had the Chesterfield inlay as well, so it looks like there was some 'back & forth' going on. By 1972, the JS-1 would have the Chesterfield inlay again.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you, and thanks for posting at the DudePit, too. I forget that you are active there.

As for getting the factory change timing wrong, I was relying on someone else's statement. I really do need to sit down and read/study your book so I don't get some of these things wrong again.

Thanks again.