D50 Bluegrass Special

mario1956

Reaction score
Woooooo! Just scored a Tacoma D50 Bluegrass Jubilee for 800 on Ebay. Can't believe people let these things go and pay hundreds more for something else. 8) :) 8)

J

jwsamuel

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
I can't believe how low they are going for used. I bought mine new and will takes a big hit if I were to try to sell it.

Jim

mario1956

Reaction score
Yeah, Jim, I don't understand it either. I think it's rather funny how it seems that acoustic guitar players seem to be stuck on certain brand names. I personally go for sound I don't care who makes it. There may be a superior sounding instrument under someone's nose and they don't even give it a second thought because the headstock doesn't say this or that. Many players who would be interested in Guild for some reason have dissed the newer instruments, especially since Fender bought them out. But, you know, Tacoma has been around for a long time and has been making fine guitars that have always been under the radar for some reason. Maybe one reason is they don't spend much money on endorsements or advertising. Perhaps that also explains how they can price their USA made instruments so competitively. I played a D50 BG Special and was simply awed by the sound. I have bought this one on ebay so here's hoping it sounds as well. I trust the consistency of the guitars. Usually I keep what I buy, so I am not so concerned about resale, unless I get an offer I can't refuse :roll:

Siwash

Reaction score
Well, that's exactly the kind of score I'm looking to make! You did well, my friend.

laocmo

Reaction score
You should be ashamed of yourself for stealing it! :wink: My new Tacoma D-50 is one of the finest sounding and playing guitars, old or new, that I have ever played. A perfect guitar for bluegrass, and it fingerpicks like a dream for folk and blues. I hate to admit it but it sounds better than my favorite D-28. And my D-28 is a killer!

mario1956

Reaction score
I can't wait for that Adi top to open up. I guess I'll just have to play the heck out of it to break it in.

laocmo

Reaction score
I've had mine for about a year now. It has really opened up in that time. You can feel the rumble in your belly when you play it! I don't know how Guild succeeded in making it so loud. Hope they didn't do it by making the top too thin and the bracing too light. I'm a worrier, I hope to get many years of playing out of it. It can only sound better as time passes. Mine came out of the case, from the factory, with medium gage strings on it. Yet the Guild D-50 specs say..... Strings: Replace with Guild L350 Phosphor Bronze, Gauges .012, .016, .025, .032, .042, .053... which are light gage. I always use Martin PB SP's mediums and tune down one fret. Haven't been able to find the "official" correct string gage to use. If Guild shipped it with mediums I assume they approve their use, yet their specs say light, so go figure.

mario1956

Reaction score
Guitar was trashed in shipment. Was involved in a traffic accident somewhere between here and Texas. No D50 :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( No Adirondack :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( no nuthin' but firewood :( :( :( :( :( :(
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
moment-of-silence.jpg

:cry:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
mario1956 said:
Guitar ... trashed in shipment ... Was involved in a traffic accident somewhere between here and Texas.
Huh? Was the instrument being delivered in car - no commerical ship? Geez Mario that bites...

You've asked for your money back, no? After all, you didn't contribute to the Loss. Have you seen the splinters? You own them; go get them and take pics; don't settle for the other guy's pics - at the risk of sounding like Mr. Negative here - unless or until you see the splinters, you could be getting porked: "Hi Mario, had an accident; guitar's shot, too bad, talk to you later...."

Insurance in place? Your 'driver'? How about the other guy? You need to be prepared to assert your claim against the coverage - if any - of 'your' vehicle. Howya fixed for receipts and 'before' pics? You won't know whether it's covered risk unless you ask and don't settle for 'Sorry Charlie' unless you have to...then get mad...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

mario1956

Reaction score
Actually, the UPS truck was in a serious accident. So I am not the only one who's not getting a package. :( The seller has already refunded my money. I guess I'll have to go shopping again later. :mrgreen:

Firebird

Reaction score
That's right! There is a real beauty at the Guitar Center in Pleasant Hills, CA. The strings aren't even dead if you can believe that. I played it and it sounded very nice. The $800 includes the hardshell case too. A real beauty it was. They also have a nice Martin D18GE for $1480 that was hard to pass up too. That may of been even a better deal.

Sorry about your loss. Good luck with your search.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
mario1956 said:
The seller has already refunded my money. I guess I'll have to go shopping again later.:mrgreen:
Good news!

cj