Reference Post: Guild Amplifiers

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
And lacking in detail. Wally did a good job with what he had, but, really, it wasn't much. I have a few of the amps from the fifties, and Wally seemed to be writing from the catalogs that were online.

matsickma

Reaction score
I just spotted pictures posted above on 4 of my amp!
Only one of which I still own. Blast from the past on those 50's & 60's early Guild amps.
So cool!
M

matsickma

Reaction score
I just realized this was a thread put together by our late LTG friend from FL, Capnjuan.
He was a great amplifier resource and cool guy.

matsickma

Reaction score
Blast from the past... noticed pictures of my back yard with early model Guild amps. Forgot I had a few of those early models.

Noticed an error and omission. In the description for the second version Guild Thunderbird amp it states that the power tubes are 6L6's. That's incorrect...it has a pair of 7591A's similar to the 1st version Thunderbird amp. The main electronic difference is the separate speaker driving reverb circuit with a separate reverb power amp of version 1 was replaced with the reverb circuit being fed back into the amp. Thus no separate reverb speaker with reverb now channeled through a pair of 12 inch speakers.

A third version of the Thunderbird amp was released and it has the same shape as Thunderbird second version but the circuit and controls were changed. The 3rd version uses a pair of 6L6 power tubes and is effectively has the same electronics as the Guild Superstar amp with the exception of the 1-15 inch and shorter cabinet now be replaced with a pair of 12 inch speakers and the taller cabinet.

Guild did retain an amp with the the 7591A tubes in the Thunderstar amp and a 1-12 inch speaker and the Maverick with 2-10 inch speakers and the Maverick Bass with 1-15 inch speaker.

The third Thunderbird amp version can be seen in amp picture collage where it is positioned behind the Maverick guitar amp.

M

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll clarify that when I get home to specify the "second version of the vertical 2x12 Thunderbird" which is what capnjuan was referring to.