What's the "G" body style?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was wondering if there was any significance to the "G" body style in the Guild line-up. Just curious.

The G guitars I've seen, such as a G212 from the 70s, seem to be dreadnoughts. So, why wasn't this guitar a "D" model?

Maybe I'm asking too much expecting to make sense out of this stuff. :)

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Chazmo said:
Maybe I'm asking too much expecting to make sense out of this stuff. :)

They look and feel like dreads to me, but I tend to agree with your statement above when it comes to many of Guild's model designations. Though I could be entirely wrong in this case- there always could be a plausible explanation, I just don't expect that much from Guild! The numbering patterns tend to be even screwier than the letters, but "G" was always one I found curious too.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Hans will have the answer. My G-312 is identical in all respects to a D-50 of the same vintage (except for the headstock, double truss rod, and, I suspect, extra bracing)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
john_kidder said:
Hans will have the answer. My G-312 is identical in all respects to a D-50 of the same vintage (except for the headstock, double truss rod, and, I suspect, extra bracing)
Oooh, that may very well be it, John. So, maybe it's related to truss rod / neck design and bracing patterns... That seems quite plausible. Unless there's some nuance of dimension that isn't obvious by sight. Or, maybe it had something to do with George Gruhn? Or, Carlo Greco??

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's wondered about this. ;) As a technically oriented guy, I always feel that model name changes should bear some relevance to the product. Of course, we know that's *not* the case with Guild in the early '90s when the JF models supplanted the prior F models. One guess there that I've had is that Guild wanted to compete on the maple side with Taylor's 655, and thus generated the JF-65 out of the prior F412. Of course, that makes no sense, since the F512 should've morphed into the JF-85 or maybe JF-95 if aligning with Taylor was the goal.

It's all conjecture. Indeed, John, maybe Hans knows. :)

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I thought maybe 'G' stood for 'Grand Concert'/'Grand Orchestra', but if it is the same as the dred, I guess that is ruled out...

BluesDan

Reaction score
My 1980 G212 has the same basic body size and shape as my 83 D-25, defintely a dread. My G is a flat back, spruce top, hog back & sides. Same feel as my D25.

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
john_kidder said:

Ditto for my G-312. The G-212 is 12 string version of the D-40.

Did all of the Guild "D" dred 12ers have arched backs? And were the dimensions the same as the "G" dred 12ers?

David

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Hans new book will have a paragraph or two on the subject.

My G 37 from all outward appearances is a Maple D 25. I've never put a mirror inside Nor have I held them side by side in a while, but the only obvious design difference I recall is one's maple & the other's mahogany, ... G 37 is noticeably heavier.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:

Hello everybody,

There will be a paragraph on the subject of model designations in the new book, but only for the models that were introduced after 1977, which is where the first book ends.
As I've already pointed out in the first book ( on page 48) Guild had never been consistent in the use of numbers and letters in it's model designations from day one.
The first G-model was the G-37, which was introduced during the early seventies. While I was doing the research for the first book, I interviewed several people who were involved at that time but none of them could give me a good explanation why the G-prefix was chosen for a 'new' model that was basically a D-shaped guitar.
From the different answers I got I kind of 'made up' my own explanation. It looks like it was probably too confusing to have more D-models in a factory situation, where too many numbers (that were too close together) would be a cause for mistakes. Introducing another model prefix would 'give some air' to the model line and it would be easier for the workers to get used to the new models next to the old ones that were already established.
The next available letter after F was G. It almost sounds too simple but that's all I can make of it.

The fact that they gave the same G-name to 3 entirely different shaped models, the G-37, the G-41 and the G-75, may seem odd at first sight but it was not different from what they did in the early '50s, when they called every flat top an F-model and those were all differently shaped models as well. So I guess you could call Guild very consistent in it's inconsistency.

The G in the GF-models that were introduced during the '80s has nothing to do with the original G-name.

Hope this explains some of it but basically, there's no such thing as a 'G' body style.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You rock, Hans! Great answer, and thanks.

Hey, your book is on my list, Hans. Is it still in print? I'd like to know where I can buy a new copy rather than a used one just to perpetuate the author's continuing involvement in the community! :) :)

Any ETA on volume 2? (I know, you probably hate that question!) :)

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
hansmoust said:
Jeff said:

Hello everybody,

The next available letter after F was G. It almost sounds too simple but that's all I can make of it.
The G in the GF-models that were introduced during the '80s has nothing to do with the original G-name.

Hope this explains some of it but basically, there's no such thing as a 'G' body style.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Don't suppose it would have been for any reason as simple as G for Guild :?:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Hey, your book is on my list, Hans. Is it still in print? I'd like to know where I can buy a new copy rather than a used one just to perpetuate the author's continuing involvement in the community!

Hello Chazmo,

The book is still in print and the regular softcover edition is available from many on-line sources like Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble. However, if you care about someone's continuing involvement in the community, I would suggest you order it from JK Lutherie. It's a relatively small family business that is specialized in guitar related books and videos etc.
They have a web site and you can order on line. You might see some more titles of interest.
Their address is: http://www.jklutherie.com

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
I ordered George Gruhn's vintage guide too.

Hey Chazmo,

That's a good choice! I don't understand why so many people buy the different price guides to educate themselves about the available guitars on the vintage market. It's OK if you feel you need a price guide, but I believe you should buy Gruhn's ID book first.
It's not perfect but it's pretty good. If you don't have the ID book, a price guide is pretty much useless, unless you have all the information already in your head. If you're one of those people, you probably don't need a price guide either!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Dirt123

Reaction score
The Gruhn guide is a god-send. I found an old Round-hole arch-top Gibson at a going-out of business. The label was gone, so nobody knew what it was. I though maybe an L4.

With the feature-based system in the Gruhn guide I was able to ID it correctly - 1934 L-75. Made it lot's easier to sell, which I did eventually. (To get a Guild!)

D