Is there a Guild Custom Shop?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was toying with the idea of ordering a custom Guild acoustic, and I did a little research. OK, so the Guild Custom Shop was opened in 1996, and expanded to an 8000 sq ft. facility in 1998 in Nashville. Then things get a little murky. So, what's the story? Is there still a Guild facility in Nashville? I hope I'm not asking a painful question here...

Did FMIC still maintain a separate custom shop once they moved all the Guild production to Corona in 2001? Corona is where Fender has its Custom Shop... Have they *ever* done Guild customs there? And now, since all the domestic acoustic production is in Tacoma since 2006, is there any such thing as a Guild Custom Shop at all. There certainly is no evidence on the web site.

If you look at Fender's Custom Shop, it's all Strats and Teles and I don't see many (well, any) acoustics. Does Fender even make custom acoustics?

hideglue

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
OK, where is their main warranty repair facility...?

Well that used to be at the Westerly plant (news to me that Shaw and Co at Nashville Custom now do all the work). Shortly before the close, FMIC announced that all warranty work was to be done by independant repairman . I guess the in-house "Glory Boy" repairman made way too much for what very little they did! I'm a bit out of the loop as far as current management but I believe that is how it still stands. Hans?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hideglue said:
Chazmo said:

Well that used to be at the Westerly plant (news to me that Shaw and Co at Nashville Custom now do all the work). Shortly before the close, FMIC announced that all warranty work was to be done by independant repairman . I guess the in-house "Glory Boy" repairman made way too much for what very little they did! I'm a bit out of the loop as far as current management but I believe that is how it still stands. Hans?

Hello everybody,

Well, I'm a little out of the loop as well since Bill Schulz died and someone decided that Guild/Fender could write it's own history. We've seen the results so far!

Anyway, the main Guild repair facility is in Nashville. They do the tricky stuff that cannot be done by the individual repairman that are authorized to do regular Guild/Fender repairs.
However, you cannot communicate directly with the Nashville Repair Center. You need to go through an official Guild/Fender dealer. If you would like to buy a Guild Custom Shop guitar (if that is at all possible these days) you would need to go through an official Guild/Fender dealer as well.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
hansmoust said:
hideglue said:
Chazmo said:

Hello everybody,

Well, I'm a little out of the loop as well since Bill Schulz died and someone decided that Guild/Fender could write it's own history. We've seen the results so far!

Anyway, the main Guild repair facility is in Nashville. They do the tricky stuff that cannot be done by the individual repairman that are authorized to do regular Guild/Fender repairs.
However, you cannot communicate directly with the Nashville Repair Center. You need to go through an official Guild/Fender dealer. If you would like to buy a Guild Custom Shop guitar (if that is at all possible these days) you would need to go through an official Guild/Fender dealer as well.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Excellent. Thanks, guys. I'll let you know what happens. Hints: 18", John Denver, snowflakes... ;)

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Can a local repairman do inley work on a guitar neck, or does it have to be done before the guitar is built?
I would think that you could have custom inley work done on your guitar if wanted. At least on the neck.
The rosette would be a different story.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
bluegrass, OK, so is there any Guild facility in Nashville, and if so what do they do there?

TMG, I was thinking of something quite different... reviving an old 12-string model that some of us would love to have. Unless there's a "real" custom shop, there's no way this would be possible.