Rare Sighting - early John Fogerty (not Tom) with Guild

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi CK and good eye; I think he's playing an M65 or M75; not a Bluesbird. I checked a couple of the other CCR vids; he's playing a 6-string Rickenbacker on Fortunate Son and a Fender in another while one of the band played another Ric; Thanks for the link. cj

matsickma

Reaction score
Looks like a 1968 or 1969 M75 early hollowbody Bluesbird with sunburst finish like the early 1970's model GofG picked up around Christmas. I had seen part of this video a while ago on one of the CD collection commercials. I had origionally though it was a 1970's model but this video shows the small humbuckers and surface bridge of a '68 or '69 M75 Bluesbird.

M

matsickma

Reaction score
Check out this video of the Stones playing Satisfaction showing Keith Richards playing his custom or modified DUAL DeArmond Pickup Guild M-65 Freshman guitar with master volume control. This is a cool color video featuring the man and the guitar that Hans shows a picture of on p.61 of The Bible. I stumbled on to this by accident in checking out the CCR video.

Then check out the Lovin Spoonful video for some Guild Thunderbird and Starfire Bass action!

M

http://www.stage6.com/Captain-Video/video/1229672/(I-Can't-Get-No)-Satisfaction

http://www.stage6.com/Captain-Video/video/1222003/Do-You-Believe-in-Magic-?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
matsickma said:
Looks like a 1968 or 1969 M75 early hollowbody Bluesbird with sunburst finish like the early 1970's model GofG picked up around Christmas. I had seen part of this video a while ago on one of the CD collection commercials. I had origionally though it was a 1970's model but this video shows the small humbuckers and surface bridge of a '68 or '69 M75 Bluesbird.

M

Hello Mike,

It's the very first version of the M-75 that Guild reissued at the end of 1967 and the first model that would be marketed as the BluesBird in 1968. It has some very specific features that distinguish it from the later models, namely the body joint at the 16th fret and the unbound back, just like the early Aristocrats. According to what I have in my database, about 50 of these guitars were made in that configuration. The guitar John plays in the video looks like it was probably one of the last ones (of those 50 guitars) since it already has the slightly heavier tailpiece (see photo BluesBirds on page 57 of The Guild Guitar Book). It's also funny to see that the guitar's headstock overlay was already suffering from shrinkage, which problem was eventually solved a couple of years later.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Hans,

Good stuff! I thought that was a bit of the headstock laminate shrinkage on guitar. I also was thinking it as a bit unusual for such a new guitar. It is probably only a little over 2 years old on the video.

M

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
Hi All,

Evidently this Stage 6 site is going to be shut down for legal issues on Thursday, Feb 28, 2008. Evidently they are being sued for millions and don't want to take the chance of losing, even though legal gurus have said they are "probably" OK with their site...the probably isn't enough.

So download your favorite old ones now, else they be gone soon.

CK