JS2 price?

wright1

Reaction score
Hi Chaps, I have seen a JS2 bass in natural mahogany with the carved top and chrome hardware standard short scale in good condition. Please all sit down away from any instruments and sharpe objects. This store wants £1895. That's UK pounds. With todays exchange rate that's around $3790. This seems a little 'expensive'. What does anybody think about this price? Is it reasonable? Please let me have your thoughts about the true value on the ground so to speak. I paid $1600 for my S-100 reissue which I thought was fair as they are quite rare in the UK. A new '61 SG would cost about $2250 and a SG bass about $1650 in the UK to give you some idea for comparison.
Thanks for your comments, Steve.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd say that stateside, a "acorn and leaves" JS Bass would go between $1000 and $2000 depending on condition.

That's my $.03

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
'allo London. (Night'awk calling !)

English prices seem appalling, as do Euro prices that I see at various sites.

I'm just curious to know what duties/taxes apply if you were, for example, to purchase on Ebay ex U.S.

I've just done a currency conversion, and 1895 pounds translates to US $3770 and change.

Now, I wouldn't know a JS2 if it leapt up and bit me on the bum, but my guess is that that's pretty damn' expensive by U.S. standards.

Doesn't it give ya the screaming shites, that the Yanks (and Southerners) have ready access to so many bargain guitars !!!!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
wright1 said:
Hi Chaps, I have seen a JS2 bass in natural mahogany with the carved top and chrome hardware standard short scale in good condition .... This store wants £1895 / $3790.
Hi Steve; are you familiar with the expression 'hose job'? Last summer, I helped a Euro LTG BBer buy and tranship a bass to Europe - the freight was $100-$120 w/ insurance. I don't know what UK import taxes might be but between Guilds O' Grot's high-side estimate of $2,000 for a top of the line Guild bass and $3790, UK import taxes would have to be an even more incredible hose job for you not to be looking in the US market; eBay / GBase whatever.

>
>
>

Jeez; 'shites'....a Foreign Language as English... :wink: Hi Coastie!

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:

Gidday Miami.

Allows me to say "s#@t" with impunity !

Well, how about Steve's English....... "Hi chaps"

"Tally-ho, chocks away, eh what !"

Surely chaps are them there things that cowpokes wear ?

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
coastie99 said:
Now, I wouldn't know a JS2 if it leapt up and bit me on the bum.
Here ya go Coastie!

1974bJS-IIC.jpg

Man you almost have me feelin' guilty for livin' in the good ol' U.S. of A. 8)

I do enjoy the international flavor here at LTG though!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
capnjuan said:
Gidday Miami. Allows me to say "s#@t" with impunity ! Well, how about Steve's English....... "Hi chaps" "Tally-ho, chocks away, eh what !" Surely chaps are them there things that cowpokes wear ?
They are my friend but the whey I see it, I've been called worse things than cowboy outer wear! Pip pip! J

Wow Kurt - what a beauty! It doesn't bite on the bum does it?

wright1

Reaction score
Hey Coastie, I will say this only once! My Inglish is jus fine fanks. No plums here. I am a London lad, Tottenham Hotspur supporter, born within the sound of Bow Bells on a very windy day(well you could certainly hear St Pauls from Charing Cross!!).
Grots has the right idea on 'Chaps'! Can't get my wife to wear them though.
The picture is exactly what I have seen with maybe a slightly lighter colour(sorry color).No! The bass!! Thanks all for confirming what I had thought that the price was way too high for this bass. Prices in Europe are far too high considering the current $ rate but the dealers are still trying to squeeze customers by putting the frightners on them about taxes,duty and freight charges. Also US manufacturers do no favours when exporting. Not only does any warranty disappear but prices are kept high to distributors.Keeping new prices high keeps 'vintage' prices high too.It was not too long ago I was in the 'trade' with percussion,drums etc and it gives you an insight into what goes on.

Thanks to all you geezers and gals.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
wright1 said:
.... It was not too long ago I was in the 'trade' with percussion,drums etc and it gives you an insight into what goes on. Thanks to all you geezers and gals.
Hi Steve; in the 'trade', did you ever run across a guy named DrumBobSquarePants? Good luck w/ the search ... and for a bass too and welcome. cj

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hi Steve; in the 'trade', did you ever run across a guy named DrumBobSquarePants? cj

If affirmative, "Graham" is standing by, eagerly awaiting your PM !

No, you berk; not your Prime Menstrual, that's private message !

Toodle pip.

wright1

Reaction score
CJ,Do you mean Bob Henrit?
Coastie,you ain't a cockney are you? You do know what a Berk is eh?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
wright1 said:
Maybe; does he wear square pants and go by the handle DrumBob? We had a drum-guy here several months ago; can't say if he ever disclosed his last name. According to him, he was somehow a part of the drum biz although in his 'Hi everbody' intro, he failed to mention it. Do you know him?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
wright1 said:
Hi Chaps, I have seen a JS2 bass in natural mahogany with the carved top and chrome hardware standard short scale in good condition.

Greetings.
I am the original owner of a '71 JS II and I have told my kids they need to hold out for at least $1,000 when they sell it to Grot because I beat him into the nursing home. I'd never pay a premium for the carving but I'd guess it it could add another $250-$500. Case is maybe $200, so the price you have seen does seem over the top compared to my $1,700. That said, I get the impression that just about any vintage guitar will be listed for twice the "U.S price" in Europe. That said again, consider the source. There is at least one U. S. dealer listing a 60's Starfire for about $4,500 which is about $2,500 more that I think that specimen is worth. You may just have a dealer who is listing a high price to get the inquires limited to the serious ones.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
wright1 said:
Coastie,you ain't a cockney are you? You do know what a Berk is eh?

No mate, but I've seen all the TV programmes, and read all the books.
And, since I'm 57 I was "brought up" English, as it were.

No, I don't know specifically what a "berk" is, or from where it derived.

Perhaps I should have said that I didn't care for Miss Chaps' threepennies !
That would have had the Yanks (and Southerners) guessing !

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
... Perhaps I should have said that I didn't care for Miss Chaps' threepennies ! That would have had the Yanks (and Southerners) guessing !
... including those in southern FL where Cracker is the prevaling dialect ... y'all.

Dreamlander

Reaction score
I paid $900 for my 1975 JSII in black that is in mint condition. I would say try to find one in the States and get them to ship it to you.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
coastie99 said:
... Perhaps I should have said that I didn't care for Miss Chaps' threepennies ! That would have had the Yanks (and Southerners) guessing !
... including those in southern FL where Cracker is the prevaling dialect ... y'all.

Well Miami, here's the real edumicative bit !

In the old days (before the war), before decimilization, there was (in civilized countries), pounds shillings and pence.
There were 20 shillings in a pound.

By now, you should be gripping the edge of your seat in fascination !

A shilling consisted of 12 pennies (pence), or 2 sixpences, or 4 threepences.

Threepences were also known as threepenny bits.

Can you stand the excitement ?

Now, can you spot the rhyming link between "threepenny' (bits), and the extrusions on Miss Chaps ?

Hence: "Cor, hasn't she got a nice pair of threepennies !"

Wasn't that easy ?

Threepenny by the way, is most commonly pronounced "thrupennny".