Met Carlo Greco this past weekend

bdeclee

Reaction score
I brought my F-512 to Carlo Greco for a lookover/tuneup. What a great experience that was! For all the years I've lived right outside Manhattan, I've never been to "Music Row" on 48th street. Carlo's workshop is above Alex Music, up a steep flight of stairs, and adjacent to a very cool accordion store with loads of Italian accordions and concertinas.

Carlo had some very interesting things to say about my instrument. Hans, if you're reading this, take note: Despite my serial number's placing the date of my guitar as 1970 (it's OC-247), Carlo said it was actually made in 1968. After looking it over carefully, he put my guitar down and said, "I made this guitar. I only made 16 of them. One for John Denver, one for the Grateful Dead, one for somebody in Tennessee, I forget..." I allowed as how I thought John Denver had an F-612. "Yes," Carlo said. "I also made him a 512 with the Florentine inlays."

That last statement blew my mind, because when I found my guitar in a pawn shop, the owner of that pawn shop told me he thought the guitar had been John Denver's. I wonder if it's possible to somehow trace the serial number to him?

Anyway, I also thought it was incredible that he only made 16 of those. He said that the F-612 was rosewood veneer over the maple arched back.

It was a pleasure to meet Carlo and talk with him, a little about guitars and a little in Italian. I didn't talk with him about new Guilds -- in fact, when I told him originally that my guitar dated to 1970 (or so I thought), he waved his hand dismissively and said, "Westerly." Almost as if it anything after Hoboken might well as not exist. That's my own personal take on it, obviously. But I can't deny that he handled my guitar very carefully and had pertinent things to say about it (the frets need polishing & dressing, the truss rods need to be adjusted only on the treble side, etc.) In fact, I have two "stripes" on the back of the neck, toward the head, where the finish is off the wood. I thought they were scrapes from a capo, but he told me that when the truss rods were overtightened in the past, the lacquer's cracking off was the result. Interesting, eh?

I pick my guitar up in another week or so. For dressing the frets, adjusting the truss rods, checking out the previous repairs, restringing, and generally giving it a once-over, his price was reasonable, I thought - $200.

Barbara

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Actually, according to Hans book, Page 19, Mr. Greco was with Guild in Westerly until 1977. The reason he left was that the commute from New York to Westerly was taking a toll on his family life. I seriously doubt he'd slight Westerly built guitars.

West

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Kinda like having someone come over to paint your bathroom ceiling and it's Michaelangelo. :shock:

You buy this guitar to replace that trainwreck and it turns out to be something truly special.
Things happen for a reason and now we know why!

bdeclee

Reaction score
Hey Default,
I actually brought my old F-512 to Carlo -- I've owned it since 1985. I just purchased an F-412, Tacoma, to replace the train wreck. But I never imagined that my old F-512 was one of only 16 which Carlo made. That was a reveleation.

West, I didn't mean to malign Westerly. It was just that Carlo seemed to perk up when it was clear that my guitar was Hoboken-made. Maybe he just had gas. :)

Barbara

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
bdeclee said:
Hey Default,
I actually brought my old F-512 to Carlo -- I've owned it since 1985. I just purchased an F-412, Tacoma, to replace the train wreck. But I never imagined that my old F-512 was one of only 16 which Carlo made. That was a reveleation.

West, I didn't mean to malign Westerly. It was just that Carlo seemed to perk up when it was clear that my guitar was Hoboken-made. Maybe he just had gas. :)

Barbara

Oh I know, I've spoken with Mr. Greco a couple of times on the phone. My take, from what I could understand (very strong Italian accent), was that he's just very enthusiastic about old Guilds. He went on to talk about the picture in Hans book of the 3 Amigos, that seemed to excite him very much. I got kind of tickled when I asked him about emailing him. He told me there were no computers in the store and if there were....well, he sounded as computer literate as I am. No offense taken Barb, merely wanted to point out that from what I gather from Hans' book, Mr. Greco was in Westerly for 8 of his 20 years with Guild.....who knows, he really might have some sort of affinity for Hobokens.

I'd like to meet him myself Barbara, sounds as if it was an enjoyable experience. He's definately THE remaining Guild legend.

West

guildzilla

Reaction score
Great info, Barbara. I love to hear about this guy. Jahn had some excellent Carlo encounters awhile back. I'll bet you were psysched to hear what he had to say about your guitar. Pretty exciting.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
bdeclee said:
Hey Default,

Barb, consider yourself lucky that I even got your name right.

It's been that kind of a day so far! :oops:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
On top of getting to meet Greco, and get some work done by him on your Guild, you also have a great discovery! I love stories like this, Barb.
:wink:

Metalman

Reaction score
Barbara,

That is a great story. I especially like the part where he says, "I built this guitar . . .". The master himself, with the product of his own hands, lying there on his counter top between you two.

I have met him several times, the first in '82, when I bought my new D-50 from Silver & Horland. There was a fixed crack in the seam on the top of the guitar, and I had asked the saleman about it, and the store owner told me to go across the street and speak to Carlo Greco, the man who made the repair.

So Carlo showed me the repair job he performed, and informed me that he did indeed work at Guild up to '77. That was interesting, because that was the year my wife and I moved from Michigan to NY.
Anyway, I have visited Carlo on several occasions since then, he never remembers me - that's okay :) - and I always probe his brain for info about Guild when he was there.

One tidbit is that Guild made their tops thinner up untill 1977, or around thereabouts. After that, they were thicker, which changes the sound, and makes the guitars a bit heavier.
But aside from that, it is always a pleasure to meet with the last remaining Guild legend, and to pick his brain. If I am in town, I will just go up a visit. He is a genuinely nice guy.

And his prices are decent. $200 for all that he is doing, that is a very good price.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Barbara,
Thank you for your great story.
I'm a big John Denver fan, and the information that you gave us about John's 12 string was very exciting to read.
I have been in contact with a person that claims to have a Yamaha 12 string that was one of John's.
The guitar may be comming up for sale.
I would love to get it, but I know of another Yamaha guitar once owned by John Denver, sold for a lot more money than I could ever come up with!
Thanks again for your post and enjoy your guitar!
TMG

Mingus

Reaction score
Great story!

Did you just walk in or did you have to make an appointment first? I've got a bunch of stuff for Carlo to take a look at! I've got my '72 D-25 with a top crack. . .a '77 D-25 that needs a once over and a 2000 DV-52 that i'd like him to look at. (does he do finish work??)

-James

Metalman

Reaction score
mingus2112 said:
Great story!

Did you just walk in or did you have to make an appointment first? I've got a bunch of stuff for Carlo to take a look at! I've got my '72 D-25 with a top crack. . .a '77 D-25 that needs a once over and a 2000 DV-52 that i'd like him to look at. (does he do finish work??)

-James

James,

No appointment is necessary - the shop is very low key - but you should call first, because Carlo is not always in. He is at the doctor's a lot. The guy is in his '80s.

Mingus

Reaction score
Man. . .better get all my stuff fixed soon! Anyone know if he does finish work?

-J

Jahn

Reaction score
Great story! It's always fun to hear another Carlo story! As for refinishing, I know he still makes his own guitars so I bet he can, but couldn't hurt to call and ask - Alex's Accordions has a phone number if you google it and that's the kind of thing you can ask without having to bring the guitar in I'm sure.

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
As everyone has already mentioned, GREAT story and thanks for taking the time to share it with us, Barbara. Just let us know if you ever find out the true origins of your F512. Sounds like it's got quite a bit of history whether JD ever owned it or not. Awesome stuff!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
does he have a website?
does he sell old guilds?