The Aristocrat has landed!

dklsplace

Reaction score
Much to my dismay, the big brown truck showed up today. I had specifically asked for USPS Priority shipping, but the box was too big.

Nice packaging, but again my heart sank as I could hear the guitar banging back & forth, loose inside the case. :shock: I had sent the seller a link to the archtop.com packaging page & specifically went into detail about securing the guitar inside the case prior to packing.

Well....I'm counting my blessings because it appears no additional harm was done & all is intact. Yep, the attempted refinish is nasty & I have my work cut out for me. But I don't see any major structural issues at this point. Neck angle doesn't look bad. There's still a bit of adjustment room left on the bridge. All in all a fun project which I will enjoy immensely!!! 8)

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Whew. Big sigh of relief, Don. Always a roll of the dice. Amazing how some sellers just absolutely ignore communications with buyers. :roll:

dklsplace

Reaction score
jp said:
Whew. Big sigh of relief, Don. Always a roll of the dice. Amazing how some sellers just absolutely ignore communications with buyers. :roll:

Honestly, I think he tried. But he said he had a friend box it up who apparently works at one of those packing places. It was hearing the guitar rattle in the case that scared me the most.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Congratulations Donnie: show us how it's done! John

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Whoa, back up a little Don, I missed this entirely. (been unusually busy). you mean you own an actual single coil Aristocrat now?
I'm torn between being very happy and excited for you, and hating you... :wink:

dklsplace

Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
Whoa, back up a little Don, I missed this entirely. (been unusually busy). you mean you own an actual single coil Aristocrat now?
I'm torn between being very happy and excited for you, and hating you... :wink:

Yessir!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :middle:us

and
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7475

I'll try to get a good round of "before" shots tonight. Been feeling pretty crappy today & need to get some down time, but I'll try to get them before bed.

Tim

Reaction score
dklsplace said:
my heart sank as I could hear the guitar banging back & forth, loose inside the case.

Just had one like that come in a few months ago. No case, just the guitar in a box. And i had mentioned to the seller to package well. Didnt go so far as to send links with instructions. And so when it came I could feel the headstock/neck up against the box. Nothing in between. Looked inside to find about a 100 of these

mailersecoltap300x300.jpg

At the bottom of the box, and nothing at the top. LOL.

Still dont know how that one arrived in one piece. UPS too.

Tim.

edit: would love to see pics when your all done too.

AfterDarkMusic

Reaction score
Overall it looks to be in decent shape, better than I had expected after the discussion in the other thread about it. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I hope to see some 'in progress' pics as well. That's my favorite part of any guitar restoration thread.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Here's the latest. Took just a few shots awhile ago when removing all the hardware. Some nasty job that had been done to this previously.
http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm138/dklsplace/deconstruction/

Went to work on stripping the finish a couple days ago. Didn't take any first round pics, but the stuff that had been applied was very thick.
http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm138/dklsplace/strip/

Pics 1331, 32, 34, 35, 37 are the first shots of it relatively clean. The rest (unfortunately) are after much work trying to remove the stain. Even after bleaching, this is the best the top will get. You can also see several sand through & worn through spots from the previous owner/refinisher. Originally, I was hoping a burst finish would cover these spots, but I'm rethinking that now. :?

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Despite the stain, Don it still cleaned up really well. No structural issues, hidden fractures, and especially no binding issues! You have a very exciting project. I'm excited to see what you're going to do with it. Are the pickups functioning?

As far as the stain is concerned, I bet if you hopped onto some of the luthier or instrument repair forums someone may have some helpful tips.

And if you're pondering a new color, the 60s Guild green seems to be very popular nowadays on the forum. :lol:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
jp said:
And if you're pondering a new color, the 60s Guild green seems to be very popular nowadays on the forum. :lol:
Oh Yeah!!

AfterDarkMusic

Reaction score
It's gorgeous, Don.

I'd just do either a gold/walnut or vintage cherry type translucent finish and call it a day as far as color.

How is it in terms of structural issues and what all will it take to address them?

I hope we can get some sound clips when everything's said and done. :D