Can I get a review on the A-25 or A-50?

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I'm really intrigued by these at the moment, thinking that Cid might like one, yeah, that's it. :wink:

Anyway I know that Coastie has a new, to him, one and West test drove it for a bit, so you two guys please chime in, but if anyone else has or had one can you give me a thorough run down on it?

I think I'm particularly interested in the 50 for the RW, but if you think the Hog is equal or better tell me why please.

Also if any of you notice one for sale out there can you give me a shout please? :)

tanks.jpg

cjd-player

Reaction score
Don't know too much about those, but this one seems nice.

Personally I'd go for steel armor plating rather than rosewood or mahogany, but that's just me.

M1A1_Abrams_Tank_in_Camp_Fallujah.jpg

cjd-player

Reaction score
Don't know, They're showin' up for me.

Maybe they're being held up in Canadian customs at the boarder :shock: .

Ooops. :oops: Never mind. :oops: Got them fixed.
I'm too embarassed to tell you what I did.
It's just been one of those geezerly days :?

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Graham, give me a few weeks and I'll get back to you on the A25. In the meantime, Coastie wrote a nice review somewhere here on his... don't think I recall anyone here fessing up to owning an A50, but several folks would like one.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
cjd-player said:
Don't know, They're showin' up for me.

Maybe they're being held up in Canadian customs at the boarder :shock: .

Ooops. :oops: Never mind. :oops: Got them fixed.
I'm too embarassed to tell you what I did.
It's just been one of those geezerly days :?

Apology accepted. :mrgreen:

ajgorman

Reaction score
Graham,

I had one for a few months, an impeccable A-25 NT HR circa 1996...excellent small-bodied guitar. Grand Concert size with 15" on the lower bout. I sold it and my CV-1 to recover from my splurge on the Goodall.

specs:

satin finish
mahogany back, sides, & neck
sitka spruce top
"Kluson" style gold tuners
25 & 1/2" scale, 14 frets
tortoise shell pickguard
pearl snowflake fretmarkers
ebony fretboard & bridge
micarta nut /saddle
1 & 3/4" nut
brown faux alligator case, a "tank"

Sparsely appointed, but simple and elegant. I think it actually looks nicer than the more lavish A-50, but only because I don't like the looks of the black pickguard on the A-50. I have seen one A-50 with a larger tortoise pickguard, but it was so huge it was ugly.

The fit & finish was excellent. HR finish easy to maintain, and neck plays slick. Woodsy tone with emphasis on midrange/treble tonality, with traditional Guild jangles. Bass is there but definitely less prominent. Punchy little guitar with surprising volume and projection, and wonderful sustain. Excellent note articulation. Good for all playing styles, especially finger-style or flat-picking. It has its own distinctive sound, one that grows on you because of its unique character. It's a small light-weight guitar, weighs around four pounds which you can play comfortably for long periods. I prefer rosewood/sitka, but I grew really fond of the sound of this A-25. Miss having her around...

My $.02...

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
cjd-player said:

Personally I'd go for steel armor plating rather than rosewood or mahogany, but that's just me.

Whew! That li'l blue pill seems to work on everything!

cjd-player

Reaction score
Scratch said:
cjd-player said:

Whew! That li'l blue pill seems to work on everything!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tjmangum

Reaction score
Graham,
I've had my A25 for about a month now and really enjoy it. I agree with what AJ wrote. Has some of the tone of my all 'hog 000-15S, but not a tank like the dreads are. This guitar may have been a few years ahead of it's time in terms of nice, lightweight "sittin' around" fingerstyle guitar. A lot of fun for the $$$$

Have yet to see an A50 in the flesh. THe one that was listed by Artisian Guitars on ebay recently was going for a BIN of 1500 or best offer. I made an offer and they countered at 1350. Seems they are a bit proud of that one, so to speak.
Cheers!
tj

ajgorman

Reaction score
That one is indeed nice. The tuners and bridge pins are not original, but nice touches. Interesting, his website has it priced at $1,249.00. Regardless, it's a little pricey for me with the prominent ding and finish crack shown in the pictures.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
ajgorman said:
That one is indeed nice. The tuners and bridge pins are not original, but nice touches. Interesting, his website has it priced at $1,249.00. Regardless, it's a little pricey for me with the prominent ding and finish crack shown in the pictures.

Yeah I sent them an offer today. We'll see if they respond or not.

ajgorman

Reaction score
Graham,

As a barometer, there was a nice one with "slightly smoky smell" that sold for $550.00 on eBay a few months ago...

Punkybub

Reaction score
I've had both the A-25 and A-50, but now only the 50. Both are nice guitars - great size, love the 1 3/4" nut on them. The 25 had a satin finish like a lot of them do.

I found the A-25 to be open and pretty loud, nicely resonant and responsive but there is something in the tone of it that I didn't care for. I think the satin finish is quite a bit thinner than the gloss possibly, and it really let the thing vibrate but the tone didn't do it for me. Traded it to a friend who made me an amp. I liked the guitar but after the trade I don't miss it - a sure sign it wasn't for me.

I still have the A-50, though it doesn't get played much. The previous owner had literally ripped the old pickguard off (with small shards of wood sticking to the pickguard :shock: ) and replaced it with a standard sized Guild guard that looked more like a Guild, but on the little A-50 it was wayyyy too big. Had an original spec guard installed and it looks much better. The tone of this A-50 is rich and woody in the midrange, but the bass and trebles are not as pronounced. It doesn't have scalloped braces and the tone is more closed in/restrained/quieter than the A-25, but with .13s on it the complex midrange really works. 8) Seems to take some time to wake up when I do get to playing it - it actually might need to be played heavily to open up a bit.

I've thought about selling the A-50 since it doesn't get played much, but every time I get it out and spend some time playing it I think better about letting it go just yet. I had a friend use it for some demos and found out that it records really, really well - you can hear the wood when it's recorded 8) :roll: .

That's what I've seen w/the two examples of these guitars that have come my way...

Oh yeah - the cases for these guitars are incredibly well-built and stout. Very tank-like :D !

:mrgreen:

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, the Artisan Guitar A-50 is on consignment. The price on the site is $1249, I offered quite a bit less. They told me via email today that the owner had originally said he wouldn't take less that $1149.

Still seems a bit high to me, but what do I really now?

I'll see if they counter a bit, but if anyone is looking you know where the prices are.

I don't know if the RW is worth almost double the price as the Hog on this model as I've never seen one in person. Something tells me no.

thevisitor

Reaction score
Graham said:
I'm really intrigued by these at the moment, thinking that Cid might like one, yeah, that's it. :wink:

Anyway I know that Coastie has a new, to him, one and West test drove it for a bit, so you two guys please chime in, but if anyone else has or had one can you give me a thorough run down on it?

I think I'm particularly interested in the 50 for the RW, but if you think the Hog is equal or better tell me why please.

Also if any of you notice one for sale out there can you give me a shout please? :)

tanks.jpg

Here's you some reviews of the A-50s...

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... /A-50/10/1

And here's some on the A-25....

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... /A-25/10/1

Being a volunteer on Allexperts.com has something to do with this I think...