Guild D17M - any info?

samuelch

Reaction score
Hello,

I picked up a 1987 Guild D17M from a pawnshop during my lunch break.
I was amazed by the condition of the guitar - it looked like it wasn't played much.
The strings were dead - and the action a little bit on the high side but I think it needs some adjustment on the neck.
The case is pretty beat up, but matches the guitar with that vintage cool mojo factor.

Anyhow, I've been looking online to get some info on the guitar...I guess I could email Guild, but wanted to see if anyone on here would know...it looks like the top is solid mahogany and the back and sides is laminate...
Any one else owns one of these?

I think they are great guitars - especially for the price.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good lunch break to me. As you look around for more info, just remember that if you like the guitar and it works for you, that's what matters. "Vintage cool mojo factor" speaks volumes.
Give it a new set of strings and a lot of TLC and enjoyment will certainly ensue.
Stick around this site; someone will surely arrive to give you more tech info.

Take care,
Joe

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am sure that Hans could tell you more, but he may already be camping in the Arizona desert. So here's what Beesely says: The D-15/D-16/and D-17 shared many specs, including mahogany top, sides, and back (laminated? Beesely doesn't say, but I think these models had the laminated arched back of the D-25). They were available in mahogany (M) cherry (CH?) or black finish from the mid-80s until at least 91. The D-15 was originally matte finish, while the 16 was glossy (later the 16 was dropped and the 15 was glossy). The D-17, the same guitar with white ivoroid bound back top and back, was available from 1984 to 1987.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Under the heading of "believe it or else," my '87 D15 was so glossy that I had to take 400 grit sandpaper to it to keep from being "blinded by the light!" Was it ever glossy!!
It's easier to deal with, now.
Cheers.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Under the heading of "believe it or else," my '87 D15 was so glossy that I had to take 400 grit sandpaper to it to keep from being "blinded by the light!" Was it ever glossy!!
It's easier to deal with, now.
Cheers.

Recky

Reaction score
samuelch said:
Hello,

You see, that's what I mean - you guys in the US are so lucky.... If there ever was a guitar country, it would have to be the US of A.

Congrats on the new guitar! Set it up properly for you and enjoy.

Cheers,
Recky

Recky

Reaction score
samuelch said:
Hello,

You see, that's what I mean - you guys in the US are so lucky.... If there ever was a guitar country, it would have to be the US of A.

Congrats on the new guitar! Set it up properly for you and enjoy.

Cheers,
Recky

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't help more than Gardman on the specs, but I love my '85 D17 (photos in avatar & below). I also have an '85 D15 which is cool too and even less frills than the 17. There's something special about these all mahogany Guild dreads... and you're probably bound to find them in better shape than the very early 70's all hog D25's. Plus, I like the binding and finish of my 17... pretty sharp and unique color too. Congrats & enjoy it!

GuildD17007.jpg

GuildD17013.jpg

Picture003.jpg

17 to the far left, 15 to the far right

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't help more than Gardman on the specs, but I love my '85 D17 (photos in avatar & below). I also have an '85 D15 which is cool too and even less frills than the 17. There's something special about these all mahogany Guild dreads... and you're probably bound to find them in better shape than the very early 70's all hog D25's. Plus, I like the binding and finish of my 17... pretty sharp and unique color too. Congrats & enjoy it!

GuildD17007.jpg

GuildD17013.jpg

Picture003.jpg

17 to the far left, 15 to the far right

Recky

Reaction score
Wow, that D-17 is a gorgeous guitar!!!!

I don't know how to tell my girlfriend, but it looks as though I'd have to find one of these, too, after the imminent F-50 and a nice mid-70s D-25CH.... :)

Cheers,
Recky

Recky

Reaction score
Wow, that D-17 is a gorgeous guitar!!!!

I don't know how to tell my girlfriend, but it looks as though I'd have to find one of these, too, after the imminent F-50 and a nice mid-70s D-25CH.... :)

Cheers,
Recky

dayuhan

Reaction score
Just mention casually to the girlfriend that she's likely to come home one day and find you in bed with a curvy American blonde. That should take care of the girlfriend problem and leave you free to pursue the important things in life...

dayuhan

Reaction score
Just mention casually to the girlfriend that she's likely to come home one day and find you in bed with a curvy American blonde. That should take care of the girlfriend problem and leave you free to pursue the important things in life...

Recky

Reaction score
dayuhan said:

Yeah, forming a HAREM of curvy American blondes and brunettes!!!! :)

Recky

Reaction score
dayuhan said:

Yeah, forming a HAREM of curvy American blondes and brunettes!!!! :)

samuelch

Reaction score
Well I brought the guitar to my repair guy.
He adjusted the action (simple tweaking of the truss rod), fixed a loose fret, and polished all the frets.
The guitar plays beautifully and just sings!
Next step: adding a pickup...

samuelch

Reaction score
Well I brought the guitar to my repair guy.
He adjusted the action (simple tweaking of the truss rod), fixed a loose fret, and polished all the frets.
The guitar plays beautifully and just sings!
Next step: adding a pickup...

benwantland

Reaction score
Wow, I just got the GAS... been wanting a D25 or similar, but my buddy, who also tours a lot in the same region, plays a D55 mainly... just like me. And he's got a D25 for a second guitar, so I didn't wanna have the same exact stuff as him.

So that had me looking at a D4... but they're so plain.

But this... this D17. How had this model eluded me so long? It's even got some white binding for visual flair! And, with the 'hog top, it should maximize the tonal difference available to me, since all of the 25's I'd been looking at were be spruce-topped.

I've gotta get one of these things!

With that said, did they ever make a 'hog dread with D55-type appointments?

benwantland

Reaction score
Wow, I just got the GAS... been wanting a D25 or similar, but my buddy, who also tours a lot in the same region, plays a D55 mainly... just like me. And he's got a D25 for a second guitar, so I didn't wanna have the same exact stuff as him.

So that had me looking at a D4... but they're so plain.

But this... this D17. How had this model eluded me so long? It's even got some white binding for visual flair! And, with the 'hog top, it should maximize the tonal difference available to me, since all of the 25's I'd been looking at were be spruce-topped.

I've gotta get one of these things!

With that said, did they ever make a 'hog dread with D55-type appointments?