Guild Sighting - Rolling Stones

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've to admit that I'm not a real Stones fan but "Shine a light" is a nice concert-movie; In the 3rd chapter of the DVD'S extras/featurette Keith Richards apears with a nice guitar …
rs_sal_fea_guild12string.jpg
<c> universal?
Markus

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
markus said:
I've to admit that I'm not a real Stones fan but "Shine a light" is a nice concert-movie; In the 3rd chapter of the DVD'S extras/featurette Keith Richards apears with a nice guitar …

Hello markus,

Yes, and did you also notice that he's playing a Guild 10-string guitar in that movie?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
danerectal said:
There can't be many of those floating around.

No, there's not! Since there are not too many people playing the 5-string guitar very effectively, there is probably not a big market for this variation either. I wouldn't mind having one though but I would probably tune it differently.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
hansmoust said:
… did you also notice that he's playing a Guild 10-string guitar …
No - didn't even know they existed … :oops:
(might be fact #7.589 I learned here! :wink: )
Markus

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
hansmoust said:
danerectal said:
There can't be many of those floating around.

No, there's not! Since there are not too many people playing the 5-string guitar very effectively, there is probably not a big market for this variation either. I wouldn't mind having one though but I would probably tune it differently.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

What is the tuning for a 5 string :?: I believe when John Lennon started with the 'Quarryment' he used a 6 string with one string slack 'cos his aunt (who played 5 string banjo) had taught him banjo chord shapes :shock:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
JerryR said:
What is the tuning for a 5 string :?:

There's probably not an 'official' tuning for 5-string guitar. As far as I know Keith Richards uses open G-tuning, which on a 6-string guitar will have the low D on the lowest string. By removing the low 6th string he gets the root-note (G) as the lowest note in the chord.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think Keith Richards tunes his to open G, but removes the big E string. Most of the good Stones licks are in open G.

Jahn

Reaction score
I just watched this movie and my eyes almost bugged out of my head. Keef used the guitar I lust for during the song with Buddy Guy - a Black Starfire V! And then Keef was feeling generous and gave it away! Uh, to Buddy Guy tho. Think I should give ol' Buddy a ring?