50th Anniversary D-55...

6L6

Reaction score
Any Forum members own one of these?

#1 of 50 still sits for sale at Guitar Showcase in San Jose. CA with a price tag of $10K. I played it when it first arrived. At that time they were offering it at $5500, but found no takers... The guitar is simply SPECTACULAR to behold!

I loved the guitar but finances mandated going for a Tacoma D-55 a few years later.

Anyone own one of these Anniversary D-55's? If so, your thoughts and pics!

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM03/Content/Guild/PR/D-55-50th.html

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar...I guess since it didn't sell for 5000 raising the price to 10000 makes a lot of sense. Now it appeals to a whole new market. :?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Woody Allen once said "Now that I've got money it allows me to be rejected by a higher class of women." :lol:

Metalman

Reaction score
How do you spell "pieces"?

"July 18, 2003
Guitar manufacturer Guild Guitars turning 50 years old this year, and is celebrating at this summer's NAMM show with the introduction of the Anniversary Model D-55. Production of this guitar is limited to fifty piecese.

While the Guild Guitar Company was "officially" conceived in 1952, it wasn't until 1953 when its very first guitars were finished and ready for delivery. From Johnny Smith to Muddy Waters, from Howlin' Wolf to Ritchie Havens and from Jimmy Bruno to Slash, Guild guitars have helped shape the sounds of jazz, blues and rock as we know it today.

To commemorate the company's milestone, Guild will honor its most recognized and most popular acoustic guitar, the D-55. The new Anniversary Model D-55 is built at Guild's state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Corona, California, and uses only the world's finest guitar making materials. "

Oh, no; another guitar built at Corona?? Didn't they learn from the first go around?

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I played one when I lived up in Michigan. Very nice sounding guitar, but didn't have a regular D-55 to compare it with. I think they were asking around 3 grand or something.

6L6

Reaction score
Oh, no; another guitar built at Corona?? Didn't they learn from the first go around?

Believe me, the #1 of 50 I played was PERFECT. I wouldn't care if that one had been built in Iraq.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
6L6 said:
Any Forum members own one of these?

#1 of 50 still sits for sale at Guitar Showcase in San Jose. CA with a price tag of $10K. I played it when it first arrived. At that time they were offering it at $5500, but found no takers... The guitar is simply SPECTACULAR to behold!

I loved the guitar but finances mandated going for a Tacoma D-55 a few years later.

Anyone own one of these Anniversary D-55's? If so, your thoughts and pics!

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM03/Content/Guild/PR/D-55-50th.html

so they must have figured if no one would buy it at 5500, surely someone would jump at 10k...that is hillarious! :mrgreen:

6L6

Reaction score
so they must have figured if no one would buy it at 5500, surely someone would jump at 10k...that is hillarious!

Yep, I think that's the line of thought.

However, if you've never had a chance to visit Guitar Showcase in San Jose, you've really missed out. The owner (and founder of Guitar Player Magazine way back when...) has the most incredible display of collectible instruments (behind glass) I've ever seen in one place. And, it's just a fraction of his collection.

The owner was a close personal friend of Bill Shultz and often got #1 of anything special (like this Guild D-55 50th Anniversary). Frankly, he doesn't need more money and my guess is he really doesn't care whether he sells that guitar or it stays in his collection.

I must say again, that D-55 is simply breathtaking. Check it out if you visit the store!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Not arguing with you 6L6, but isn't this the same guy that keeps posting the DV73 with a BIN of $5000? He may not NEED the money, but he sure wants it. :wink:

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Graham said:
West R Lee said:
He may not NEED the money, but he sure wants it. :wink:

West

OK then, '72 D25, all hog, $5000, '89 JF30 Bld $7500. :mrgreen:

Bump it up several thousand and you might get some takers Graham! :shock: :D

West

6L6

Reaction score
Not arguing with you 6L6, but isn't this the same guy that keeps posting the DV73 with a BIN of $5000?

I'm not sure, but it could be him.

The store WILL deal on instruments if you're there in person and always has a large stock of Guilds on hand (but talk with BingK before buying...).

Regardless of pricing issues, make the store a "MUST SEE" if you're ever in the San Jose area. LOTS of fun stuff to see/try!