Peregrine History

hearth_man

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to LTG and am looking for a short history on the Guild Peregrine. My understanding is that it was produced from 1999 to 2004 ? But where were they made, how many would you guess. Are they all Custom Shop or just some. I've seen guitars with body binding but no neck binding. I've seen guitars with both neck and body binding and ones with none. I've seen guitars with the "G" headstock and guitars with the Chesterfield headstock. The only catalog info I've seen was from a 2000 Guild catalog. For a short production run there seem to be many versions.

If anyone has some Peregrine history please let me know.

Thanks,

hearth_man

sfIII

Reaction score
Guild Total
Some were made in the Guild Custom shop in Nashville, TN, at some point (my guess is 2001) some production was moved to Corona, CA. I do not know if any were produced in Westerly. The TN guitars are fancier.

hearth_man

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks sfIII,

I did some looking into the Peregrine history and I think your right about the Nashville Custom Shop during the first production run.

Here's what I came up with I hope everyone will please correct any mistakes.

The Guild Peregrine was made in two locations. The first run was from 1999-2003 at the Nashville Custom Shop. During this run three versions were made; S7CE Peregrine Standard(395-6000), Custom(395-6010) & Quilted Top Custom(395-6020). Specs were; chambered bound mahogany body (abalone binding on Custom & Quilted), mahogany top (maple for quilted top), mahogany neck with bound 12" radius rosewood fingerboard, rosewood bridge w/strings thru body, "G" shield headstock w/custom shop logo, chrome hardware (some gold on Custom & Quilted), Fishman Acoustic Matrix Natural w/vol & tone controls and custom pre-amp, 25 5/8" scale, 1 11/16" at nut. Colors were black and red transparent for the Standard along with chestnut option for the Custom (custom colors were an option).

In 2003 the production was moved to Corona, CA for the second run 2003-2005. During this run the Peregrine Standard seems to be the only version offered called simply the Peregrine(360-6000). Spec were similar to the first run with the following exceptions; unbound fingerboard, chesterfield logo on more modern type inverted headstock, additional standard color option of amber.

I have to say that the catalog photos are not always in line with the actual guitar photo examples I've seen. Although I've only seen a couple of catalogs from during this time.

hearth_man

JB

Reaction score
Well thank you for theses informations !

I think that mine is a 2003/2005 because of the unbind fretboard....

About colors you can add mine which is like Lake placid blue or something

I was told it wasn't a custom color meanwhile i'd never seen it written on any catalog

DSC00058.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
JB said:
I think that mine is a 2003/2005 because of the unbind fretboard....

About colors you can add mine which is like Lake placid blue or something

I was told it wasn't a custom color meanwhile i'd never seen it written on any catalog

Hello JB,

Lake Placid Blue was a standard color for the Peregrine during 2003, so your Peregrine is most likely from 2003.
If you give me the serial number, I will check my database.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

JB

Reaction score
thank you for asking me Hans :)

The SN is PRC309018

CarvedTop

Reaction score
Hello,
This is a subject that I need help with.
I just purchased a used Peregrine, standard I think. It's the red wine color and has plain white binding on the body and neck. And it has the big G inlay on the front of the headstock.

On the back of the headstock is the gold Guild Custom Shop logo, and the SN, but I don't know what year it's from. The SN is 10440011.
Any info is greatly appreciated!

CT

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
CarvedTop said:
I just purchased a used Peregrine, standard I think. It's the red wine color and has plain white binding on the body and neck. And it has the big G inlay on the front of the headstock.
On the back of the headstock is the gold Guild Custom Shop logo, and the SN, but I don't know what year it's from. The SN is 10440011. CT

Hello CT,

Your Peregrine is indeed a Standard and it was made in the Nashville Custom Shop in 2001.

Show us a picture!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

CarvedTop

Reaction score
Thanks Hansmoust!
I'll take some photos tonight and post them.
I see you are the resident Peregrine expert, so maybe you can answer another question. I want to replace the strings on mine. What would you recommend I use for replacements?

CT

matsickma

Reaction score
I have a habit of thinking of changes I would make to Guild guitars to make them suitable to my special needs. Here is the latest... I would like to know how a Peregrine is constructed. In particular I own a Custom Shop M70 and wonder if the base construction is the same. I owned Crossroad guitars and they were constructed with the soundboard similar to an acoustic guitar. For the Crossroad Guild had an "acoustic-top" and (I think) a carved body. Electronics were a Fishman "PUP" under the bridge and a EMG as a neck electric pup. I have been considering the idea of modifying a Peregrine to add additional pickups to create a "Crossroads like" Peregrine. If the Peregrine is constructed similar to a M70 then such a modification would be easily copied from the M70. (All the Peregrine fans don't panic...it is unlikely I would do something like that but i like the idea.)

M

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
mat,

intersting, I am just doing this to my crossroads since the structure and neck of the guitar is really great. the emg was crap and I am trying to find the best solution for combining the undersaddle pickup with a normal magnetic humbucker (here seymour duncan p-rails).
So far the only solution seems to be the powerchip by fishman, but I am still waiting for their answer to my question if I could use the matrix transducer - and receive it seperately - and how I can apply a tone control. I also don't really understand how I can set up the volumes of the 2 systems seperately.
and - there is only a 3-way toggle and 3 pots on the guitar and I do not intend to drill more holes into the top.
So which pots do I have to use for a passive transducer and what stacked pot would I have to order then.... :?:

CarvedTop

Reaction score
As a new Prergrine owner, I'm interested in how the insides work. If any of you guys take on a moding project, please post pictures so we can see what it looks like.
Thanks,
CT

CarvedTop

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Welcome CT.

I like your avatar but what are you doing in bass clef?

I've been primarily a bass player since age 16. Over the past 2 years I've picked up up a few guitars and started playing around on them. I've managed to come up with a few tunes, so I've decided start composing and recording songs.
I remember seeing an interview with Paul McCartney where he said that he did his composing on guitar because composing on a bass wasn't much fun. I understand what he meant, but I still do about 50/50, guitar and bass composing.

CT

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
CarvedTop said:
I remember seeing an interview with Paul McCartney where he said that he did his composing on guitar because composing on a bass wasn't much fun. Now I understand what he meant.

Maybe there are other opinions besides Sir Paul's?

:wink:

and let us know when you plan to add a Guild to your bass stable.

CarvedTop

Reaction score
"and let us know when you plan to add a Guild to your bass stable."

That will have to be after my wife gets over me buying the Peregrine. " But honey, it was a deal that I couldn't pass up" :D

CT

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
CarvedTop said:
"and let us know when you plan to add a Guild to your bass stable."

That will have to be after my wife gets over me buying the Peregrine. " But honey, it was a deal that I couldn't pass up" :D

CT

Well that beats - "It will be just one more thing that you don't use much that the kids will have to sell". :?

(In fairness, that was said about a potential 4th bass and not about the current stable).