I didn't post my current rigs:
most of the time I use this:
k-bass-su-110730-big-1.jpg

but if I don't have to travel much and want more tubes I use this:
28052011115.jpg

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
In the '60's I used a Versatone, turned all the way up. Now I use Aguilar amps.

Just kidding...ha ha!

I was only alive during two years of the '60's. And they are RIGHT! I can't remember anything from the '60s!!!!

No Guild yet. Hope to get a Starfire bass one day. Not sure what I'll use with it though.

jte

Reaction score
Wow, how'd I never post to this one? I've played bass since 1976, and for a good long while I only had one guitar (my Yamaha FG-160) but several basses, even though I managed a guitar store...

Anyway- my bass rig now is:
Eden WT-400 head driving an Avatar SB-112 cabinet and an Avatar B-210 cabinet (both neo-drivers). I also have a Peavey T.B. Raxx tube pre-amp and a QSC PLX-1202 power amp in a rack.

Basses include:
A. Lakland Deluxe 4-94 fretted maple- stainless rounds
B. Lakland Deluxe 4-94 frettless ebony- nickle rounds
C. Lakland Skyline 55-01 fretted rosewood - stainless rounds
D. Fender Vintage Series '62 Precision (I bought it new in April 1982) - 10 year old flats
E. Fender Sting Signature Precision (excellent single-coil Precision style with contoured body, like a 1954-1957 Precision - 4 year old flats
F. Frankenstein that started life in '87 as a fretless Fender MIJ Jazz Bass Special, but eventually I replaced everything except the maple of the neck, three tuning machines, and the neck plate. Koa Jazz-shaped body, Duncan 1/4 Pounder P/J, Duncan's Steve Bailey Fundamental Fretless pre-amp, Hipshot Bass Extender key, Schaller roller bridge, and a thick slab of ebony for the fingerboard, she's got a set of three year old flats on her now, but had rounds on her until 2009.
G. Guild Pilot ca. '84 I think- Electric Blue and on loan to my 14 year-old niece.
H. DeArmond Ashbory

Over the last 35 years I've owned and gigged regularly with two other Precisions, two pre EB Music Man StingRays, a Guild Pilot Pro, two Hamer Cruise Basses (both the bolt-on neck Jazz bass clone version, not the original set-neck ones), a Fender California P Bass Special, a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz, and another Lakland 4-94.

Amp heads over the years have been a Fender Bassman (black-faced 45 WRMS version), Music Man HD-130, Yamaha B-100 Mk III, Peavey Mk IV, Peavey Pro-Bass 1000 pre/CS-400 power amp, Hartke 3500, and an Eden WT-600.

Cabinets progressed from a Music Man 212RH, Yamaha S115, Fender Dual Showman with two 15" JBL's, Fender Bassman 2x12 (the original small one), Theile-Small designed TL-606 with EV 15", two original Guild/Hartke 4x10s, Hartke 210XL, Hartke 4.5XL, Eden D410XLT, Eden D212XLT, and a pair of Euphonic Audio VL-208s.

John

bklynbass

Reaction score
I love my mid 60s Ampeg B-15 N. When it's working. Which isn't right now. I'm planning on making a pilgrimage out to see Dennis Kager at some point.

I the meantime, I have a solid state B-100R from the mid 90s that does a very lifelike simulation of the old Portaflex amps. To fatten the sound up I run it through either a Sansamp Para Driver pedal or a Sansamp Bass Driver. I find I can dial in a pretty natural sounding overdrive with those pedals.

I recently was at a friend's studio in midtown and played through a 16 watt tube head he converted from an old Bell and Howell Filmosound projector. He had been using them for guitar but I got him to agree to run it through a few small Aguilar cabinets. Now I want to get one. He also had an old Altec PA head that blew every bass amp I've ever heard out of the water!

Reaction score
For band practice I use my mid 60s Ampeg B-15N.

I also have a '67 Fender Bassman head that I run through an Acoustic 406 (2 x 15) cabinet, but that never leaves the basement because it takes 2 men and a boy to move it!

Playing out (which is infrequent) I use an Eden WT550 head and D410XLT cabinet which I love.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
bklynbass said:
I recently was at a friend's studio in midtown and played through a 16 watt tube head he converted from an old Bell and Howell Filmosound projector. He had been using them for guitar but I got him to agree to run it through a few small Aguilar cabinets. Now I want to get one. He also had an old Altec PA head that blew every bass amp I've ever heard out of the water!

Funny how good those old tube PA heads can sound... One of my favorite bass amps I ever owned was a 1972 Fender PA-100. 100 watts of 6L6 power. Very little in the way of EQ possibilities, but with a good bass cab it was a plug-and-play sort of deal. Sounded simply fantastic. The only amp I've ever liked more (and I've owned a LOT of amps) is the Eden Highwayman I'm playing through now.

bklynbass

Reaction score
Yeah. It makes me want to go around to every public school I can and see what they have lying in the corner of the auditorium!

hagmeat

Reaction score
Here`s my beefer. A Labsystems VP600HP. Great punch,clarity,warmth and bottom end. Sounds great with the JS2.

phonepics007.jpg

phonepics006.jpg

ukulelelab

Reaction score
First Post. Hello everyone! I play my starfire bass through a 1971 hiwatt DR103 + SE115 cab

25995_1191081991033_1647889135_4226.jpg

P1010365.jpg

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
ukulelelab said:
First Post. Hello everyone! I play my starfire bass through a 1971 hiwatt DR103 + SE115 cab

25995_1191081991033_1647889135_4226.jpg

P1010365.jpg
welcome and congrats to your great taste in basses and amps. :D

DKB

Reaction score
I have three bass amps in this picture of my home studio. A '61 Fender Bassman, a '64 Fender Showman (behind the Vibrolux Reverb on the right) and a modern Gallien-Kruger 1001-RB MkII with two 2x12" Neo's stacked.

CelticSession_web.jpg

For basses, I have a custom ordered G&L ASAT bass and a '72 Guild JSII. I do not have a picture of the Guild JSII yet but here is the G&L...

Full_in_case1.jpg

DKB

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Ohh... Shiny!!!

Can I ask why without seeming to sit in judgement?

hahaha...!!! why sure!

I wanted something all glittery to really stand out in the stage lights.

alpep

Reaction score
groove tubes bass tube bass preamp
urei power amp
musicman 1-15" ev reflex cab

or
a 2-15" ev loaded mesa boogie cab

eden wt 900 and 1200 power amp is the other rig

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
DKB said:
fronobulax said:
Ohh... Shiny!!!

hahaha...!!! why sure!

Not the typical, "hide in the back by the drummer bassist", I presume. It's probably better than Derek's (Spinal Tap) foil wrapped zucchini for most attention getting purposes :wink:

DKB

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
DKB said:
fronobulax said:
Ohh... Shiny!!!

hahaha...!!! why sure!

Not the typical, "hide in the back by the drummer bassist", I presume. It's probably better than Derek's (Spinal Tap) foil wrapped zucchini for most attention getting purposes :wink:

oh, I've upgraded the Derek zucchini thing, that's old school now! :lol:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Considering the band I've been playing bass in for a while now is getting lots of gigs and good attention from all the right people, I figured I'd splurge and finally scoop up the amp I've been lusting for secretly for about 10 years -- my high school orchestra teacher had the SUNN version... same thing, but in the 90's they still had the SUNN name on it. Anyway, phenomenal amp. Brought it to a gig for the first time last night and I can't contain my excitement about it
:mrgreen:
At 300watts of all tube power, EQ's set more or less flat, I didn't have to turn the master volume past 2.5 to fill the entire room with gooey bass waves! And since we already lug a Hammond, a Leslie, and 2 Fender tube guitar combos to all our gigs, the 76 lbs. are nothing new to us. Our mindset is that the weight is worth the tone!

1011121503_zps0552f3c7.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was with you up to the 76 lbs. You should continue to be amused that your former Line 6 goes everywhere (fits in the car better than the Pilot in the case does) and held its own as the only bass amp at LMG III.