fretless M-85

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Did those pickup surrounds come with the Alembic assembly?

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Did those pickup surrounds come with the Alembic assembly?

Hmm, I was going to say yes, but looking back at the original pic, I think the pickups are made to fit the original surrounds. You'd think I would know the answer!

Happy Face

Reaction score
Hmm, I was going to say yes, but looking back at the original pic, I think the pickups are made to fit the original surrounds. You'd think I would know the answer!

Thanks. Looking at the photos of the M-85 early in the thread, the surrounds look like the ones you have on now.

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
I found the bags with the original pickups & pots & stuff - no rings!

I also took a close-up:

42613470422_88cf84ce01.jpg

I like the contrast of the original screws at the corners and the new hex screws holding the pickup.

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's another pic for Fretless Friday!

41841770974_a492cc3614.jpg

And here's a recording from our rehearsal before this gig - the drummer recorded and mixed it so I'm not responsible if the bass is too loud!

https://soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven/reflection-of-the-sun

There are definitely a couple of intonation flubs on my part, but I think the bass sounds pretty good - it was recorded with a mic on my GK MB-112.

Last edited:

Happy Face

Reaction score
I'm always one to follow Hieronymous. Just bought a so-so shape JS-II and ordered the Activator set from Alembic.

Happy Face

Reaction score
Hieronymous was super helpful in helping me speak with the Alembic crew. Thanks!

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm always one to follow Hieronymous. Just bought a so-so shape JS-II and ordered the Activator set from Alembic.

Do you think you're going to string it with rounds or flats? Either way, I'm excited to hear it (and see of course) - especially since it'll be fretted!

Happy Face

Reaction score
Do you think you're going to string it with rounds or flats? Either way, I'm excited to hear it (and see of course) - especially since it'll be fretted!

I'm wondering since I still have and use the one with Darkstars and the EQ01 filter/preamp set. So which gets rounds, which gets flats? Or do both get rounds?

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm wondering since I still have and use the one with Darkstars and the EQ01 filter/preamp set. So which gets rounds, which gets flats? Or do both get rounds?

What strings are on the Darkstar/EQ01 bass? I would say use the other kind on the new one, then switch them later to compare? Rounds offer the most options tonally but there's something about flats that can be cool too. Depends on what kind of sound you are going for - of course you already know this!

I need to get my Stanley Clarke 5-string set up, then put new (nickel roundwound) strings on it, then see if it feels right instead of the AleM-85 - that will be the test.

Happy Face

Reaction score
I ignored young Mgod's advice (out of spite) for years and strung the JS-II with TI Jazz and/or Pyramid flats. Also because of the feel and partly because I'd usually also brought a Rick to gigs.

But when I finally got around to stringing it up with Jazz Rounds (after I loaded in the filters) it really did open the bass up. So it will be an interesting experiment.

Also debating whether to keep the harp bridge or install the Starfire reissue bridge that's been sitting in a drawer awaiting it's call to shine.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also debating whether to keep the harp bridge or install the Starfire reissue bridge that's been sitting in a drawer awaiting it's call to shine.

I have a vague recollection that such a swap will require new mounting holes if you mean the 90's reissue. If you mean the Newark Street reissue I'm afraid I need to ask why would you want to do that?

Happy Face

Reaction score
90s reissue! I don't care about new holes. The bass was already repaired and poorly refinished.

Happy Face

Reaction score
Noooooo! FLATS! FLATS! FLATS! (on one or the other I mean)

Thanks Mellowist One. I went to check out my string box and found I have a couple of sets of virgin TI Jazz flats in the Hofner config, which I prefer. Plus a set of flats taken off of my M-85 only three years ago! 2015. Man, life is suddenly screaming by.

So I'll prolly try flats on the new fella first.

The nice thing is that one can swap them easily. But the tension differs and blah blah blah blah...

Hopefully I can get someone to record some reference comparisons once I get the Alembics and see to their installation so you all can benefit from my foolishness.

I'm actually wondering about this stuff, now that I rarely play out. But I figure having a nice, wicked pair of gigging basses will inspire me.

Right now I'm immersed in a Renaissance cover/tribute project, which defaults to my latest Rickenbacker. (Which I posted about elsewhere. The Ugly Duckling sure turned into a beautiful swan. The neck and action are the best I've ever played, partly thanks to the carbon fiber extra (third) truss rod. It's a thing of beauty.)

But once we actually perform live again for a film shoot, I wonder if my next step will FINALLY be a Jefferson Airplane cover/tribute. Or maybe a Dead cover band. I'd sure like to go the Airplane/Starship route. Something rare, versus the pretty common Dead bands.

Haroldo

Reaction score
Have the Activators arrived and have you installed them? And, if so, what're they like?

Happy Face

Reaction score
So, the screw holes on the Activators don't match the pickup rings.

The gent who is installing the rig for me ended up sending the Activators and rings to Alembic for them to deal with.

The wait makes the eventual outcome all the more sweet. Right?