First impression of CT D-55

Frosty

Reaction score
Here is my first hand experience with the Guild D-55 guitar: I have personally owned four of them over that past few years. Two Tacoma models (2008, 2006) and two Westerly editions (1980, 1973). The '73 had an uncharacteristically weak voice due, perhaps, to a soundboard crack repair. The other guitars however had, in varying degrees, the smooth, even voice and rich tone that makes the model compelling to me. I remember the impulse purchase that brought the '06 home with me... I was playing the guitar in the store when one customer said "that's the best sounding guitar I have ever heard". It was that good. The 1980 had a quieter voice, but the tone... like rich chocolate... thick treble and smooth bass. Great guitar.

I had the chance to play a brand new, Connecticut-made D-55 today. I could pick a few nits about the choice of tuners and the pickguard shape... but I won't. I will say that the guitar had a powerful dreadnought voice (I think it was strung up with mediums). Booming bass and ringing treble. The guitar felt lighter weight than what I remembered of the model, too. Likely this particular guitar would be a fine choice for a flatpicking bluegrass player. But, I've got to say... I did not find the tone compelling. That is, this guitar did not possess the smooth D-55 tone that I have previously found so complimentary to my style of fingerpicking. This was a well made guitar with a strong voice for sure... but it did not meet my sonic expectations.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Interesting Frosty.....thanks for the critique. I have had 2 Westerly's....one has it and one didn't. Who can explain? :?

West

Reaction score
Frosty,

Thanks for the review. If you were able to install the strings of your choice on this D-55, do you think that it would sound more to your liking or your style of playing?

Regards,

~nw

Sefton419

Reaction score
I am just glad I got ahold of my 2005 Tacoma D55. I know it sounds amazing and thats good enough for me!

Reaction score
I've just got a good feeling about these new Guilds coming out of Conn. We are in a super-competitive market/mode right now. Yes, the prices are going to be comparatively higher...the dollar is not strong internationally...but in terms of a domestic market that is still the worlds largest, the mother company (Fender, yes criticize it if you will...) is investing a lot of money and people in perpetuating the Guild brand, and appears to be wise enough to embrace and honor the legacy and craft of this revered name. This guitar is still being made right here. The people producing it are our people. I'd bet they're proud of their product and very much vested in how we as Guild lovers are going to receive and appreciate it. As Guild lovers, it's in their interest and ours to be objective, of course, but supportive in general.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Very good point Chicago. Sometimes I think we've gotten so used to Fender bashing, we forget that they have shown respect for the brand. I'm sure it is tough to try and not only build a quality guitar that meets our high standards, but to do it here in the United States. They are trying I think.

Points well made.

It does make you wonder how in the heck Martin, Taylor and Gibson have done it all these years though. Though I wouldn't have a clue as to what their wonership has been through all these years. Obviously Bob Taylor is still at Taylor, and I think C.F.Martin III still runs that show, but they build the same guitars ther always did, and constantly introduce new models, and seem to sell the heck out of them. Is it just the fact that their clientele is so established, do they market better? Does the name mean that much? I've been curious for sometime as I've searched for on that I felt had the quality built in and the tone coming out like a Guild......I really haven't found it yet.

West

Frosty

Reaction score
Re: strings... yes, sure, I would changes strings which would affect tone. I'm used to picking up guitars and test driving the "wrong" strings, though.

I am not a Fender-basher, so to speak. As I said, the tuners and guard were nits, so that is not part of my message at all. I am grateful for the perpetuation of the Guild brand and I think the Tacoma D-55 guitars I have played are among the best ever. They sounded like a Guild D-55. So, thanks FMIC!

The CT instrument had most of the bling attributed to the model... and it sounded like a strong-voiced dread. Looked to be well made, too. The guitar likely find a good home with someone. But, for whatever reason, didn't have what I feel is the traditional D-55 tone.

I love the Guild brand, and I feel I am being objective here. IMHO, there's still some work to be done in CT. Just calling it like I hear it.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Good review, frosty! I will try to evaluate the F-bodies when they become available. I'm very optimistic, but wary. IMO, Tacoma had really done great things with the traditional models.

I too wonder if they've changed any specs or woods in the New Hartford models. I know that the F-412/512 underwent some significant tone-related changes over the ~3 years at Tacoma including compensated saddle, changing bridge shapes, side block for strap button, and even the elimination of the double truss rod right at the end of 2008. Perhaps the New Hartford folks have done something along these lines, other than the obvious tuner/pickguard changes.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Frosty,
Sitka spruce top, right? How tight was the grain pattern? Did it appear AAA or AAAA grade?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
No no Frosty, I never meant that you were a Fender basher, merely that some, including myself have been from time to time. I honestly would expect your critique to be right on regardless of where or when the guitar was built.

West

workedinwesterly

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Re. West R. Lees comment......

"Sometimes I think we've gotten so used to Fender bashing, we forget that they have shown respect for the brand."

Please Clarify.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
workedinwesterly said:
Re. West R. Lees comment......

"Sometimes I think we've gotten so used to Fender bashing, we forget that they have shown respect for the brand."

Please Clarify.

I think they could have moved production overseas for one thing, they have kept it here, though at times it seems like they're not quite sure where they want to build them.

They have also mentioned in a couple of articles that they do have respect for the brand....at least they acknowledge that they do. They have kept the models somewhat close to what you guys built from what I have seen, save some "innovations" like the DTAR or the graphite neck block in some models.

"We do our best to be true and real to what people expect Guild to be".......2007....Donnie Wade.

http://www.fender.com.au/guitars/guild/ ... erview.php

I think they could have totally demolished Guild, but they do continue to try and build them, and build them here.

That's what I meant. And I'm trying to be very objective, and I haven't been concerning the matter in the past.

West

6L6

Reaction score
I went through EIGHT corporate buyouts during my working career (civil engineering). In every case the new owners downgraded the company by firing many of the good people who built it into a success and then the customer ended up short-changed as well.

Buyouts suck.

Guild has weathered a lot of this stuff, and I suspect they've yet to see their last owner. That said, I've owned Guild acoustics built in every location (except CT) and I've loved every single one of them. I wish the folks in New Hartford every success and hope they can keep things going for a very LONG time.

As for Martin, I had to play at least a DOZEN D-45V's before I found one that sounded really great. The rest were all average sounding at best, a couple just downright POOR. The only guy building guitars today who turns out a near perfect product every time, IMHO, is Bill Collings.

'06 D-55
'06 D-40BJ
'06 F-412
'74 D-40
'98 Martin D-45V
'98 Collings D-1
'03 Taylor 214

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thanks Worked, unless you've been there, it's hard to know. You are so right on the GAD's.....that will always be a sore spot with me. I'm sorry you had to go through that experience with Fender. It sounds as if several folks had similar experience. A very enlightening post.

The only point that I was making is that they ARE al least still building some guitars in the U.S. On the surface, the appear to try and respect the brand.....other than GAD of course :evil: .

I appreciate your input and your opinion Worked.....you didn't have to share that, but you did. I think it might be apparent by my screen name that there is no one with any more respect for you guys than I have. I don't THINK you guys built the best guitars in the world, I KNOW it. Happy pickin' brother! :)

West

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yeah, ditto what West said, WiW...

One difference in the situation now, though, compared to the past, is that Kaman Music is now sort of a go-between Fender corporate and the Guild brand. Perhaps they have the stones to foster the Guild brand while shielding it from Fender. I don't know.

That business of junking the parts dept. at Westerly is really incomprehensible to me. I stated in another thread that I didn't think Fender acted in way contrary to typical corporate profit-seeking, but I fail to see how *that* act is representative... I don't get it.

Do you have any idea why they did that? Do you attribute it just to petulance? No matter what, it clearly was disrespectful!

In the case of the tooling for Tacoma products, which we also heard had been dumpstered, I equate that with killing the brand (which seemed obvious to me). That's disrespect in the extreme, of course, but Fender never had any intention to keep it going. I hear there's some discussion about building Tacomas in Asia somewhere now, but we'll see on that score.

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Honestly, is it even realistically possible for the CT plant to be up to the same standards as they were in Tacoma? Tacoma already had made a name for itself, and I suspect they had some very skilled individuals working there that were accustomed to giving an awful lot of detailed attention to each guitar built. Not to entirely knock Ovation, etc., but it's apples & oranges.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider anything to come off the lines early. I'll wait a while, try to play a bunch in stores and see if they iron things out and are able to build their own identity as well as reconnect with the past Guild brand. It might take some time, and I hope FMIC has some patience. I still think it was nuts to uproot the Tacoma operation, but the stars weren't aligned. Had FMIC done better marketing those wonderfully made instruments, they might have been able to sell more units and at higher price and keep that place afloat. But, I guess that's easy for me to say in hindsight.