help me ID a Bigsby and Guild-spec bridge - thank you

valcotone

Reaction score
hi guys, I got this setup on my '60 Capri and have since installed a harp tailpiece.

I'd like to find out some details on this Bigsby and bridge, and I was hoping you guys could help me out. Any idea what year this is and what model, and what's up with this bridge? The bridge says "GUILD-SPEC" on the bottom of the top part, and the tremolo has PAT NO "D 169120". From what I gather from online research, it could be a '59-61 B6. Thanks!

bigsby002.jpg

bigsby005.jpg

bigsby009.jpg

bigsby010.jpg

bigsby012.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
valcotone said:
hi guys, I got this setup on my '60 Capri and have since installed a harp tailpiece.

I'd like to find out some details on this Bigsby and bridge, and I was hoping you guys could help me out. Any idea what year this is and what model, and what's up with this bridge? The bridge says "GUILD-SPEC" on the bottom of the top part, and the tremolo has PAT NO "D 169120". From what I gather from online research, it could be a '59-61 B6. Thanks!

Hello valcotone,

The Gretsch/Bigsby unit is indeed from 1959. The Bigsby bridge is probably a little later but not much. I would say first half of the '60s. However they removed a little from the bottom of the bridge top. The part that rests on the thumbwheels and that allows the bridge to rock back and forth with the least friction, has been removed probably in an attempt to lower the action when the thumb wheels were already in their lowest position.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

valcotone

Reaction score
hi Hans, Thanks very much for your reply - much appreciated. What features designate it as a '59, and not 1960 for example?

Thanks also for the note on the mod to the saddle part of the bridge, I wouldn't have known that.

:D

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
valcotone said:
What features designate it as a '59, and not 1960 for example?

These things are not exactly 'written in stone'. The first Gretsch branded Bigsby units became available at the end of 1959. Before that Gretsches were outfitted with regular Bigsby units that had the design patent on the front. Because of the large 'V'-cutout in the base and the fact that the 'Gretsch by Bigsby' text took up a lot of space, the design pat. no. moved to the hinge on the side.

GretschBigsby_1.jpg

Gretsch Bigsby units with this feature are a bit rare, so we can assume that not too many were made. You will find them on some of the late '59 Gretsches into 1960. I would think these are all from the first batch from 1959. If somebody would like to call it a 1960 Gretsch/Bigsby, I would see no reason to argue about that though. Later Gretsch/Bigsby units do not have that feature. Guild Bigsby units that were introduced shortly after that had the design patent no. on the back of the base, which is not visible when it's mounted on a guitar.

GuildBigsbyBase.jpg

valcotone said:
Thanks also for the note on the mod to the saddle part of the bridge, I wouldn't have known that.

Made a quick shot that shows you what an unaltered top would look like.

GuildBigsbyBr_1.jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

valcotone

Reaction score
Thanks Hans.

As usual, myself and the rest of the crew here are very happy to have you available for questions like this.