Yardbirds Guild sighting

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
... Capn', I am on the trailing edge of technology here, but I am glad to make you a nice cassette tape copy... :lol:
Gee ... I was hoping you might be able to get it onto 8-track ... you know, those machines that used to wrap your favorite Leslie West tape endlessly around the drive capstan ... man ... who'da ever thunk those tapes were that long ... :wink:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Grew up on that stuff too....
And you know that "cliche" question: "If you were dropped on a desert island what record balh balah blah......"
Well I'm not sure which one I'd take with me but I know Jeff Beck would be on it.
This guy has the creative genius very seldom seen around, whether you listen to the R&B of "Truth" or the more Jazz Rocky "Blow by Blow" and "Wired" or even going back to the great BBA trio, you will always (I will, anyway) hear something magical come out of Jeff's fingers....
Probably the guy that had the biggest influence on me, after all the bluesmen pioneers (whom influenced him also).
Went to see him live for the first (and only) time a few years ago in Pompano Beach, I was mesmerized.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I dunno Cap', my Craig Pioneer Stereo 8 never had that problem...of course, I never had Mountain Climbing on 8-track either...but I did have...(GUILD CONTENT!) "The Blues Project Live at the Cafe a Go Go"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, "Truth" with JB would be on the desert-island list for me too...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
This guy has the creative genius very seldom seen around, whether you listen to the R&B of "Truth" or the more Jazz Rocky "Blow by Blow" and "Wired" or even going back to the great BBA trio, you will always (I will, anyway) hear something magical come out of Jeff's fingers....
Went to see him live for the first (and only) time a few years ago in Pompano Beach, I was mesmerized.
Second that. Although the title is frequently bestowed on The Count Five's "Psychotic Reaction", The Yardbirds were really the guys to kick off the whole "garage band" movement...I know many of us here are still in one... :lol: Yes I am shamelessly punching the contols on the wayback machine here...I first heard Jeff on "Beck-ola" and that kicked off the Yardbirds acquaintance. Two massively underrated Beck albums are the two that followed Beckola: "Rough and Ready" and "Jeff Beck Group" which contains "Goin' Down", his first forays into jazz-rock fusion.
I've seen him co-headlining with John McLaughlin (twice) and Stevie Ray Vaughan, he jammed with both of 'em between sets. Saw him with Santana in '95 but for some reason he didn't jam with Carlos, it was a MAJOR disappointment as Carlos is my other favorite living guitarist...
I've heard it said that Jeffery taught Jimmy Page everything he knew..if you compare "Truth" and the first Zeppelin album back to back you'll see enough similarities of content and flow to suspect that this may be true...although I can't remember ever hearing Jeffery composing in that 12 string style like "Black Mountain Side"...another fascinating comment is Pete Townshend's interview in "Hendrix: a film" where he talks about meeting Jeff Beck coming out of the Bag o' Nails during Hendrix's first show and telling Pete: "It's terrible, he's ripping off all your stuff!". Actually I always thought he was ripping off Yardbirds sound, or at least "Paying Homage" as they say, after all, he was the world's best mimic too, but I didn't find out that he'd inherited Roger the Engineer until 20 years later in an interview with Roger himself. So a very legitimate case can be made for the Yardbirds being the inspiration for the Hendrix that finally made it big.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Never heard that one before.."Theme to an Imaginary Western" perhaps? There WAS a Cream connection prior to West, Bruce & Laing via the late great Felix Pappalardi whose name will be found in the production role on the back of several Cream albums and who also played keyboards on "Goodbye". George Harrison is also credited on that as "L'Angelo Mysterioso" for a tasty little part in "Badge", supposedly in return for Clapton's uncredited guest shot on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".
The wayback machine is beginnig to show signs of mild overheating, but I think we'll be able to get a few more years out of her, Cap'n!

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
"Mountain Climbing" was the album that Missisippi (sp?) Queen and TFIW were on...

Actually a better version of TFIW on Bruce's Songs for a Tailor...

I cannot say that I ever had a problem with my Craig Stereo, although in retrospect when really cranked the track lights would pulsate, probably due to a undersize power supply?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
I cannot say that I ever had a problem with my Craig Stereo, although in retrospect when really cranked the track lights would pulsate, probably due to a undersize power supply?
Thought that was their version of the colored light/strobe thing?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
"Mountain Climbing" was the album that Missisippi (sp?) Queen and TFIW were on...
Right. I just never "heard" about the Jack Bruce vocals attribution. Forgot all about "Songs for a Tailor".

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Since we've got a little Clapton veer going I'll throw in another Guild connection, tenuous as it is, but in the VH1 "Classic Albums" segment on the making of Disraeli Gears. Clapton talks about his first use of the wahwah pedal on "Tales of Brave Ulysses" and states the progression was inspired by a Lovin Spoonful tune, whose lead guitarist he admires. Zal Yanovsky was known for his love of Guilds. Wonder if that's what inspired Clapton to get his F50r?
Maybe we can start a new game: "6 degrees of Guild sightings" :mrgreen:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
adorshki said:
... . Wonder if that's what inspired Clapton to get his F50r?
Driving in his car ... smoking a cigar ....
And now to take veering to a whole new level, I wonder how many people out there know what an NSU really was? Hint: Closest I could get were my beloved Mazda RX-7's....
And thanks Cap'n for the recent enhancements to the wayback machine...couple more of those temporal mass capacitors and we could probably do teleportation too! :mrgreen:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
And now to take veering to a whole new level, I wonder how many people out ther know what an NSU really was? Hint: Closest I could get were my beloved Mazda RX-7's....

Had them all over town when I was growing up.... Little rear engine German car looking like a mix of Fiat and BMW, got taken over by Audi in the early 70's. :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
adorshki said:
... I wonder how many people out ther know what an NSU really was? Hint: Closest I could get were my beloved Mazda RX-7's....
RO 80? They made motorcycles too.
bluesypicky said:
Had them all over town when I was growing up.... Little rear engine German car looking like a mix of Fiat and BMW, got taken over by Audi in the early 70's. :D
... and some cool-looking pre-war models:

nsu500A_Opelzh.jpg

... and later; <ahem> heavily influenced by GM ...:

3899476770_9dd6e19d27.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
adorshki said:
I wonder how many people out there know what an NSU really was?

Yep, I do ......... "The Clap" otherwise known as a round of applause in the English vernacular.

Non-Specific Urethritis.
You mean the song WASN"T about a car or a motorcycle?! :oops: :lol: