Highly evolved S-100 owners roster

Thunderface

Reaction score
Seems like most of our solid-bodied members (I'm talking guitars, not people) either own or lust after an S-100, the redesigned ones from 1970 on, not the S-100 Polaras from the 1960s. So I conducted a very rudimentary poll of our own S-100 owners, and here's what I came up with ... anyone know how many S-100s Grot has?

Danerectal: 3 vintage S-100s (from the 70s)
Hammer: 3 reissue S-100s (from 1994-on)
Qvart: 2 vintage, 1 reissue
Matsickma: At least 1 vintage S-100 (Deluxe)
Drunkenguitarist: 1 reissue
Kakerlak: 1 vintage
Thunderface: I wish

Feel free to add to the list. I know I'm overlooking LOTS of S-100 owners. As I said, this was a very rudimentary roster.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Re: Very rudimentary S-100 owners roster

Thunderface said:
... anyone know how many S-100s Grot has?
Just one, the 1974 S-100C (Leaves and acorns)

Qvart: 2 vintage, 1 reissue
Guilds Of Grot: 1 1974 S-100C

Qvart

Reaction score

Qvart: 2 vintage (carved), 1 reissue
Guilds Of Grot: 1 1974 S-100C
Stclrob: White '96 reissue and '72 S-100C.

Guildzilla had a reissue. Don't know it's current status. And someone has an early '70's one with metal screwed onto the top. And that dude in Slovakia had a reissue he bought then was trying to sell on Ebay. And someone had a natural finish vintage they had to have refretted(?). Man, how quickly I forget.

matsickma

Reaction score

I also have two 60's refinished/project Polaras. One is a early model with asymetric head 3 + 3 tuners and mini chrome soap bar SC pups with independent control of Vol and Tone for each PUP and the other is a later model "special" that has the reversed F-head, 6 inline tuners with Mickey Mouse SC Pups and the Thunderbirdish single selector switch with Master Vol & Master Tone for each selection.

I had owned a early 70's model before the phase switch but with HB-1's and a later 90's Reissue Model.

In regards to the 1960's Polaras who own's those models. An interesting detail about the early S100 Polaras is that Guild changed the wiring scheme on these guitars such that the Vol and Tone control for the Neck are the "upper knobs "and the Bridge pickup controls are the "lower knobs". That is to say the knobs for each set of controls are PERPINDICULAR to the strings instead of PARALLEL to the strings. Am I making sense. I have found this wiring scheme on 3 early Polaras and when I lifted the pickguard the wiring was stock. Does everyone else with the early Polara have that configuration?

On the later 1960's Polara (I referer to a special because for 30 years I never saw one like mine but now occasionally come across them) the Neck and Bridge pickup are hooked up in a Master Vol + Master Tone arrangement. This allows you to pre-set the setting and then you use the slide switch to quickly switch to the alternate setting.

M

Maxer

Reaction score

I have a much-loved '71 S-100. Here it is. Before and after, natch.

RichmondA.jpg

RichmondB.jpg

RichmondHi.jpg

Re-fretted with jumbo frets, and new Grovers, in the late 80s. Done up with stainless steel plating a few years back. Still plays like a champ. Don't know if the pups are original but tone-wise this beast sure kicks. My first electric guitar and my sentimental favourite, by a long shot. Still play and record with it all the time.

But that's the only Guild I have. LOL

I wish I had more.

Qvart

Reaction score

Maxer said:
I have a much-loved '71 S-100.

Right, that was you! We talked about it on TGP I think. Looks quite bada$$ with the metal. \m/'-_-'\m/

Thunderface

Reaction score

Maxer, that thing is sweet! And I like the location. Nice touch, eh?

I've determined that I'm going to stop at five Guild solidbodies, and the one I'm missing, of course, is an S-100. Why don't one of you multiple S-100 owners donate one to a worthy cause -- like me?! :p

Qvart

Reaction score

Thunderface said:
I've determined that I'm going to stop at five Guild solidbodies, and the one I'm missing, of course, is an S-100. Why don't one of you multiple S-100 owners donate one to a worthy cause -- like me?! :p
Um, because I've decided to stop at five Guild solid bodies. ;)

Willy

Reaction score

:( mine was stolen, a 1975 wheat toned sunburst with custom wound pickups, coil taps and phase switch. Technically I guess I still own it, just don't know where it is :evil:

fuzzfarmer

Reaction score

I have a '97 reissue. Dream guitar is a '70s acorn. I'd take another reissue too.

Perhaps one of you acorn holders wants to trade for '79 Marshall JMP master model 100? lol just a thought. 8)

Hammer

Reaction score

Thunderface said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Horrus lists a 1975 S-100C in his sig. I remember that because he was going on tour as a bassist and was looking for a JS bass. Don't recall that he succeeded, though, but it's hard to talk about a JS or Starfire bass around here without me sticking my nose into things :wink:

Firebird

Reaction score

Put me on your list. Mine is a maroon 73 that I've had since 1978. Love those humbuckers!

Qvart

Reaction score

stclrob said:
I think tomek has a 73 natural finish one.

That's who I was trying to remember. Think he had a refret on that one.

Thunderface

Reaction score

Okay, fine. If no one will donate to a worthy cause (me), I'll just have get on the list myself. Qvart and others told me to go vintage, and so I did. Mark me down for a '73 S-100 in walnut.

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score

Thunderface said:
Okay, fine. If no one will donate to a worthy cause (me), I'll just have get on the list myself. Qvart and others told me to go vintage, and so I did. Mark me down for a '73 S-100 in walnut.

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

Nice! Where, when and how much? :p And you're not allowed in the club until that TRC is right side up! :lol:

Qvart

Reaction score

Thunderface said:

Haha! That has to be the longest lead up to a new Guild roll out I've seen on this board! Nice ruse with the S-100 list. :lol:

How much were you able to talk them down?

BTW, we (or I) will need a lot more pictures and details. Start with the SN, sticker inside the control cavity, dates on the p'ups if you ever pull 'em out, etc.

Enjoy, and welcome to the club!

Thunderface

Reaction score

Thanks. It arrived this morning. I originally wasn't going to say anything, just list it amongst my guitars and see who noticed, and maybe post an updated family photo. But that was never going to work once I opened the case. Help, I've got a vintage S-100 and I can't shut up!

Hammer, the TRC has already been switched around, so I'm in the club. The pre-switch photo was better, so I posted that one first. I'll definitely be taking more. The sticker on the inside of the backplate is an oval one that says GUARANTEE near the top and the model is S100Wal

Qvart knows where I got it from ... Stevie B's Total Guitar, via gbase.com. I think it's still listed there. We went back and forth, and I finally got it for $400 less than asking price, including shipping. I admit that I overpaid, since it's not mint, but I will say that it's very good shape, including the case. After seeing what was out there and what people were asking (i.e. that likely stolen blue one on eBay in the U.K. with the broken neck binding went for $695 and the 1970 with the Hagstrom tremolo at Guitar Center listed $1,200) I came to the conclusion that this was a pretty good, albeit slightly overpriced deal.

The listing is that its a 1974, but the serial number (84068) makes it a 1973.

Qvart

Reaction score

Thunderface said:
Help, I've got a vintage S-100 and I can't shut up!

Now we'll need a report on what you think of it. Quite a bit different from those other solid bodies in your list (HB-1's, thinner neck, looser string tension, 22-fret rosewood, lightweight).

Welcome to the club (finally!)

\m/'-_-'\m/